I give up / Morimoto LED Fog Light Kit - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I give up / Morimoto LED Fog Light Kit

Hi,

I am lost among all settings.

I was running 3 years the Morimoto XB 9006 LED Fog Light Kit.
Those were running together with a Morimoto Mopar spec 2015+ Resistor.
Never any issue, and they were running a lot.
A few month ago the Driver side died.

Funny was after checking it on the Passenger side the light was running perfectly.
Out of curiosity I also checked to run them without the resistors and they did.
Crazy stuff I thought ripped out the resistors and those fogs are running since a couple of month without the resistors just fine.

Now the Driver side died again.
I started to play as well with AlfaOBD and to my surprise the Driver side came back on again.
But this worked only a few days.
In the meantime I am not able to get the Driver side back to work.
Also not with the resistor.

If you connect plain power form a 12V battery that LED Fog light from the Driver side it runs perfect.
But not in position in the RAM.

So I thought maybe a Cable Issue.
I connected the ugly OEM fogs and the right Driver side was out as well.
Perfect I thought.
I reinstalled the OEM fogs and wanted to drop it at the dealer to let them figure out the cable issue which I assumed.
I also setback the AlfaOBD setting and damn it, the OEM Driver side came back on and is running flawless.

Anyone has a proper advice how to setup the Morimoto's properly.
Especially as we have AlfaODB available now.

Otherwise I am looking into new options as I ruined the Morimotos while getting the plastic fitting for the OEM brackets off.

Thanks,
Mike

2017 RAM 3500 Longhorn Mega Cab 4X4 SRW Cummins 6.7 Aisin 3.42 Limited Package Protection Group Cold Weather Group Power Sunroof Auxiliary Switches Stop Lamp w/Camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 05:43 PM
Diesel Head

For what it's worth, I installed a set recently and put one resistor in on my '17. On the right side only, just to see what would happen.
They both work fine, so far, so I'll remove the resistor.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:39 AM
Diesel Freak

“Driver side died .....”
“.....play ... with AlfaOBD ...... Driver side came back on...”

“If you connect plain power form a 12V battery that LED Fog light from the Driver side it runs perfect.
But not in position in the RAM.”

“....connected the ugly OEM fogs and the right Driver side was out as well.
Perfect I thought.
I reinstalled the OEM fogs and wanted to drop it at the dealer to let them figure out the cable issue which I assumed.
I also setback the AlfaOBD setting and damn it, the OEM Driver side came back on and is running flawless.”

When you go into AlfaOBD are you seeing and / or clearing error codes (if so what are they)?

2017, 3500 4x4 DRW CC 6.7 Aisin 3.73s, Aluminum Flatbed, CTS2, Luverne steps, Titan fuel tank, ATI Auxillary fuel tank & Airlift Wireless Bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:56 AM
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi

Garage
Just to make sure, you are referring to these?

Dodge Ram: XB LED - Fog Lights from Morimoto HID

The LED Projector fog lights? Or are you referring to an LED Bulb inside of a fog light housing?

I ran the X8 Projector fog lights on my 12 for several years, no resistors, no issues.

When i upgraded to my 18, i continued the plug and play approach, Just plugged them in. No issues, no resistors, no canbus cancelers, nothing. When i adjust settings for HID headlights the only fog light setting i changed was to disable the fog light drop out. I have had zero issues with the X8 Projector LED fogs

My Suggestion, with them haven worked for several years, is to check your grounds and your connectors. Sometimes the connectors might get loose, which can cause intermittent issues. Make sure your pins are fully seated and making proper contact. Especially since when you bench test the lights they work

The way the canbus system works, is at startup it will check the lights for any lights out. If it detects any issues, it will turn off power to that light, so the reason your factory light might not have worked at first is because it detected an issue, turned off power, then after a power cycle it checked again, and did not find an issue so it kept power on. I would lean towards the issue being more with the Morimoto light, or with the connector. Also, the morimoto staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. giving them a call might throw out an idea on something to check that none of us might think of that could solve the issue. If anyone else has ran into your issue, the manufacturer would be a fantastic place to start for assistance in troubleshooting.
pwr2tow and Jimmy N. like this.

2018 Ram 3500 Limited - Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 SRW Stock at the moment, but that will change
Make your puddle lights great again!
SUPPORT SITE VENDORS, THEY MAKE ALL THIS POSSIBLE
HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Diesel Freak

On my 2018 I ended up installing the XB housings as is (you have to trim the connector slightly as it’s made for a 9145 bulb and the Morimoto comes with a 9006 connectio) with no other resistors or BS and just enabled LED fog lights with AlfaOBD and disabled the dropout. Been working flawlessly for 6+ months and 5000 miles

2018 2500 Big Horn Sport - 6.7L 68RFE - CC 6'4"
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 12:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_Bobby View Post
On my 2018 I ended up installing the XB housings as is (you have to trim the connector slightly as it’s made for a 9145 bulb and the Morimoto comes with a 9006 connectio) with no other resistors or BS and just enabled LED fog lights with AlfaOBD and disabled the dropout. Been working flawlessly for 6+ months and 5000 miles
I did neither of those things on my 18, god bless consistency

Although i probably should go in and enable LED fog lights at some point just so i don't have to worry about anything.....but my connectors didn't require any trimming. they plugged right in
Jimmy N. likes this.

2018 Ram 3500 Limited - Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 SRW Stock at the moment, but that will change
HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 03:12 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_Bobby View Post
Mine were exactly the same. Never installed the harness that came with the fogs. Just plugged them in directly and trimmed the connector slightly.
Ricky_Bobby likes this.

2018 Ram 2500 SLT with G56
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:07 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCalvin View Post
Mine were exactly the same. Never installed the harness that came with the fogs. Just plugged them in directly and trimmed the connector slightly.
What was it that needed to be trimmed on the connectors? Both my '14 1500 and '17 3500 plugged right in, like they're supposed to.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:18 PM
Cummins Fan

Your truck has a 9006 plug and the led fog assemblies have a 9145 plug. We are talking about the full fog assembly from morimoto not just bulbs. Everyone has to trim them if they don't use the supplied harness.

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:23 PM
Cummins Fan

The circled part is what you trim. The little plastic piece in the middle. It won't plug into the ram harness with it in place. It protects people from plugging 55w bulbs into housing designed for 35 w bulbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200128-175140_1580246551643.png
Views:	31
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	866067  
Ricky_Bobby likes this.

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCalvin View Post
Your truck has a 9006 plug and the led fog assemblies have a 9145 plug. We are talking about the full fog assembly from morimoto not just bulbs. Everyone has to trim them if they don't use the supplied harness.
Sorry, but not everyone does, apparently.
I only tried using the harness (box) on one out of the four lights I installed.
Removed that one box yesterday and plugged the factory connector into the light, just like on the other three.

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:44 PM

Garage
No trimming necessary on either my 12 or 18. Directly plug and play with 9006 connectors....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode