I give up / Morimoto LED Fog Light Kit - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 05:58 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Now that I think about it, my lights have a short "cord" (with the correct connector).
From what I recall, there's no way to plug directly into the bulb itself. At least not without some disassembly of the light, to find the other end of those red and black wires..

I took for granted that they all came that way, when made for a specific vehicle, which these lights are.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:06 PM
Cummins Fan

strange. Ram calls for 9006 fog light plug. Weird your's came built with a 9145 plug. Ive seen the morimoto fog light assemblies installed in couple trucks and always needed to trim them to use them without the harness. The fogs have the tab in them and thats why the won't plug in. Unless morimoto varied there manufacturing for a few units and shipped some with slightly different plug on them.

2018 Ram 2500 SLT with G56
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:08 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Now that I think about it, my lights have a short "cord" (with the correct connector).
From what I recall, there's no way to plug directly into the bulb itself. At least not without some disassembly of the light, to find the other end of those red and black wires..

I took for granted that they all came that way, when made for a specific vehicle, which these lights are.
There is no bulb. Its a sealed beam LED unit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:13 PM
Cummins Fan

the splitter is the harness im talking about. I didn't use it but in order for the light to plugin the small little piece of plastic in the middle of the connector has to be trimmed. Its possible i guess you could jam them together without trimming but i wouldn't believe they would be a water tight connection anymore.

Now like i said earlier this is only on every truck i have ever seen. Its possible i guess you guys got different lights from morimoto or ram built your trucks slightly different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_ram_fog.png.pagespeed.ce.nmyh_Td08V.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	866113  

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:16 PM
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi

Garage
I have a damaged unit in my garage, i'll take a closer look at it tonight. When i received mine they were sent with wires free, and a 9006 connector that was loose. I inserted the wires conenctors into the 9006 connector in the proper orientation and was good to go, as detailed in their own instruction manual...

http://www.morimotohid.com/media/cus...1481643642.pdf

2018 Ram 3500 Limited - Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 SRW Stock at the moment, but that will change
Make your puddle lights great again!
SUPPORT SITE VENDORS, THEY MAKE ALL THIS POSSIBLE
HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCalvin View Post
the splitter is the harness im talking about. I didn't use it but in order for the light to plugin the small little piece of plastic in the middle of the connector has to be trimmed. Its possible i guess you could jam them together without trimming but i wouldn't believe they would be a water tight connection anymore.

Now like i said earlier this is only on every truck i have ever seen. Its possible i guess you guys got different lights from morimoto or ram built your trucks slightly different.
So, what you are saying is the trimming must be done on the splitter/resistor harness? I didn't have a harness on my 12, and did not install one on my 18 no issues with either

2018 Ram 3500 Limited - Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 SRW Stock at the moment, but that will change
HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:12 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:

I didn't get anything like what you show in that illustration. Well, for the '14 I didn't even order anything extra, thinking they'd work without.
For the '17 I did order resistors/antiflicker, whatever the little box contains, but those are meant to go in series, and look nothing like what's in your illustration.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 08:27 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki223 View Post
Although i probably should go in and enable LED fog lights at some point just so i don't have to worry about anything.....but my connectors didn't require any trimming. they plugged right in
Yes you need to do that to shut off PWM from the fogs. They may work but you are causing the LED voltage regulator to work overtime.

Quote:

If you use the wires from morimoto you don't need to trim anything. The slots in the connector prevent folks from plugging things in backwards. i.e. + -> - and - -> +

You don't need a splitter just a wire.
Loki223 and Jimmy N. like this.
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:01 AM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokia View Post
Yes you need to do that to shut off PWM from the fogs. They may work but you are causing the LED voltage regulator to work overtime.

If you use the wires from morimoto you don't need to trim anything. The slots in the connector prevent folks from plugging things in backwards. i.e. + -> - and - -> +

You don't need a splitter just a wire.
No i dont think your right there. Since the connector only has a tab to lock it on one side. The piece is in the middle. It is in the way if you line the connector up to lock it. With regards to polarity the connector comes unpinned from morimoto so its deff no for preventing polarity mix up since you could easily do that yourself by putting the wires in the wrong side.

Maybe you guys are talking about morimoto bulbs and nott the full fog light assemblies? ive installed couple of these and seen bunch more installed. Always required either use the splitter harness with the resistors (direct plug and play) or no splitter harness and Trim the middle of the connector then use alfaOBD to turn on LED mode so you don't get a bulb out warning.

Morimoto even list the splitter harness with the resistors as part of the package when you buy them? Not sure how you guys are getting them without the harness.

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:03 AM
Cummins Fan

Installed on my truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190707_141945.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	866171  
Chirp08 likes this.

post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:42 AM
Diesel Freak

Must be a Morimoto thing based on what they are shipping - My factory female connection (from the truck) that went into the 9145 bulb in the factory fog housing, would not plug in unless I trimmed that tab on the Morimoto connector, which @RichardCalvin shows on his pics

Here is back of the Morimoto housing, I had to trim the tab on the connector, since I have AlfaOBD I did not need splitters or resistors and the plug on the new fog housings plugged into my factory fog lamp plugs once I made the modification

RichardCalvin likes this.

2018 2500 Big Horn Sport - 6.7L 68RFE - CC 6'4"
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:17 PM

Garage
no trimming neccesary, and no resistor packs supplied or used on this truck

(2018)

Or this truck (2012)
Jimmy N. likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode