Tuned Tranny Issues - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Tuned Tranny Issues

I need some advice; need ideals.

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins W/68RFE

Running MM3 Platform with Anarchy Tunes W/Trans Tune.

The Input Shaft broke yesterday shifting from 5th to 6th I think, may have been 4th to 5th really wasn't paying attention when it happened. I was running between 50 and 60mph. Shop pulled the trans and sent me pics of shaft snapped in two.

I don't know where to start so I will give some general details of truck and how it is used. Truck is a everyday driver; I tow frequently (3 horse slant and 42' 5th wheel and various other things). I work in sales and average 150 to 350 miles per day. The truck has been tuned for about 29k miles. I usually run the truck in street tune and I usually switch to Performance when I get on interstate because for some reason I get the best fuel mileage in this setting on interstate.

Ever since I deleted and tuned the truck I have asked the tuning company several times about how hard the trans shifts up and down; I was assured this was correct and this best benifitted the trans to protect it from the added torque. I have no room to argue because they are the experts and I am not calling them wrong now.

That leads me to my next point, when I dropped my truck at the shop yesterday I was talking to the owner and he was telling me that he has replaced several Input shafts on these particular transmissions; he was also telling me that he has only done ones that have had the trans tuning, he has never had to replace one on a tuned Ram without trans tuning. The only thing he could think was that the stock input shaft cant handle the stiff shifting but Anarchy told me the stiff shifting protects the input shaft. He has a tuned Ram 2500 his self without trans tunes and runs the heck out of it with no problems.

I don't know.

So I am asking if anyone has experienced this on a tuned 2500, broken input shafts on non tuned trans vs broken shafts on tuned trans all on deleted trucks. Once I get the truck back I need to know weather I need to get Anarchy to send me tunes with out trans tuning and just run trans stock. I will know tomorrow what all we will have to replace. Shop tech gave me several options to think about today but said he would know more once he got it torn down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:52 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

You should make a poll. I think that would help.

1) Trans tuning vs stock trans
2) Locked shifts vs unlocked shifts

2014 Cummins 4x4 Black Appearance / AFE dry filter intake / 22" light bar / LED lights all around / Thuren Leveling kit with track bar & fox shocks all around / Mishimoto Coolant Hoses / AMP Steps / 22x10 American Force on 35's
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:58 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I have a bone stock 2016 that pushing 100k miles. I aint never broke no input shaft, and I use the piss out of my truck. That's all I have to say about that.
7492 likes this.

2016 CCLB 3500 SRW 4x4 Aisin - All Stock
Prev - 04.5 2500 4x4 manual-DRW conversion, 2001 2500 4x4 manual, 1993 2500 4x4 manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHaws View Post
I have a bone stock 2016 that pushing 100k miles. I aint never broke no input shaft, and I use the piss out of my truck. That's all I have to say about that.
That's Great!!!
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,927 Times in 1,332 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
The problem is you change power between street and performance often. That + towing with added power is a recipe for disaster.

If you have a SOTF knob throw it in the trash. Pick a tune, any tune, and just stick with it.

Also..don’t tow on anything above stock power on a stock trans.

It’s not anarchy’s fault.
N of 60 and Mike Wood like this.

'18 6.7 S472-5 Blade 2018 Build
The Following User Says Thank You to nick00less For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (01-23-2020)
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahafx4 View Post
That's Great!!!
It is! and this is my first auto tranny in a Dodge/Ram Cummins since 1993. I'm pretty stoked.

2016 CCLB 3500 SRW 4x4 Aisin - All Stock
Prev - 04.5 2500 4x4 manual-DRW conversion, 2001 2500 4x4 manual, 1993 2500 4x4 manual
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick00less View Post
The problem is you change power between street and performance often. That + towing with added power is a recipe for disaster.

If you have a SOTF knob throw it in the trash. Pick a tune, any tune, and just stick with it.

You edited your post real fast there!!!
nick00less likes this.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
The transmission is designed to handle stock power levels. You throw more at it and eventually it’s going to have a part let loose. Nature of tuning and turning the power up.

I’d look into a built transmission designed to handle what you’re throwing at it—or turn it down to stock and leave it there. Even at stock though, in theory you’re still putting more strain on it with manipulation of torque management settings.

Good luck!

19 2500 Longhorn Mega 4x4

11 SRT8 Challenger M6 - Corsa; 295 Nittos

Previous: 16-3500, 11-2500, 01-2500, 08-2500, 03-2500
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick00less View Post

First and most importantly Sir; I am not blaming Anarchy, lets clear that up now.

Anarchy hasn't let me down, they seem to be good people and has answered all of my questions promptly; I just wanted other real life experiences. If I bought new tunes today it would be from Anarchy!!!

MM3 does not have a sotf knob it has a shift on the fly (Switch) function on the display; Same Same I know. I talked to them about this and they assured me after the learning period is finished you can switch as much as you like with out affecting the trans, the tune is what it is. Also they (Anarchy) does not recommend you tow in STOCK they recommend you Tow in Tow mode witch is a option also.
The Following User Says Thank You to yamahafx4 For This Useful Post:
nick00less (01-22-2020)
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:03 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
You edited your post real fast there!!!

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:14 PM
Cummins Nut

I snapped my input shaft on the 3-4 shift. 2014 tuned by HPP with a Revmax Valvebody and running locked shifts. I broke it having fun and paid the price! Lol. Running higher line pressure and locked shifts on the stock input shaft is not a good idea IMO. Pay to play. People here are quick to judge when someone breaks their transmission. Don't take it personally, most people don't blame the tuner or transmission but will be accused of such when they post a broken transmission thread.

I now have a built trans and run unlocked shifts and couldn't be happier with it. The trans tuning makes it a lot better on the clutch packs and gives you quicker shifts. That also means that it is harder on shafts. I reccomend getting a billet input shaft and billet input clutch hub to strengthen the input shaft spline area. If you want to get real serious you could always get a TCS maraging steel billet input shaft.

At that point you may as well go with an entire built transmission. Or you could replace it with stock parts and turn the tune down. I can tell you that a built transmission with a good TCC will put the power to the ground a heck of a lot better than the stock unit.

'14 3500 SLT CCLB SRW 68RFE 3.42
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:21 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
First and most importantly Sir; I am not blaming Anarchy, lets clear that up now.

Anarchy hasn't let me down, they seem to be good people and has answered all of my questions promptly; I just wanted other real life experiences. If I bought new tunes today it would be from Anarchy!!!

MM3 does not have a sotf knob it has a shift on the fly (Switch) function on the display; Same Same I know. I talked to them about this and they assured me after the learning period is finished you can switch as much as you like with out affecting the trans, the tune is what it is. Also they (Anarchy) does not recommend you tow in STOCK they recommend you Tow in Tow mode witch is a option also.
Thank you for clarifying.

At the end of the day this will just be a difference of opinions between you and I. So instead of taking the route of “no my tuner says this!” or “That’s not what I heard”..let’s play a little offense instead.

What are your plans on the rebuild? Going to keep it stock or upgrade the internals?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode