Carli upper ball joint won't seat fully - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
pfb

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Carli upper ball joint won't seat fully

Replacing worn out factory ball joints, about 58k miles on the truck (2015 3500). Went with Carli for the warranty & quality of parts - dealer wanted $2k to replace with Mopar joints, so $800 to do my own Carli's was a no brainer! Very happy and very easy install... on three of them.

The driver's side upper ball joint won't sit flush with the surface of the C-arm, no matter what I do. The inboard side sits about 2 sheets of paper (I don't have any measuring feeler guage things) higher than the outboard side. Didn't notice it at first - got everything installed & steering was noticeably weird. On reinspection, found the steering knuckle didn't turn freely on driver's side vs passenger side, and that's when I found that the upper joint wasn't seated fully.

So I removed the ball joint and it feels like the lower portion of the inboard side of the bore is worn - I suspect due to the original joints failing and moving around. Tried reinstalling 4 times to get it to seat properly - the last time I thought I had it, everything was flush, until I loosened the installation tool. Once the clamping force was off, it sort of migrated back up to its current pictured position over the course of 1-2 minutes.

So the question is - how do I get the new ball joint to seat flush? It seems like if I just took a thin shim and used it on the outboard side, I could get it to be straight - but that wouldn't do anything to fix the hollowed out / worn bore, and I'm afraid it would just slop around and start binding my steering again. I could go get a cheap oversized ball joint, I suppose, but I don't want to use only 3/4 of my brand new $800 joints. But I also don't want to drive on this one this way and ruin my Carli warranty.

Thanks for reading - any thoughts would be very helpful!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_153131.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	865493  

2015 Ram 3500 6.7L SRW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 05:12 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
..... it feels like the lower portion of the inboard side of the bore is worn - I suspect due to the original joints failing and moving around.
If your "C" forging is wallowed out, nothing short of a new housing will fix that.

I would remove the joint, weld up the bore in the egged out spot, re-work the shape with a half-round bastard and then re-install the joint. But thats just me.

good luck.

2012 3500, Dually, 4X4, G56, reg cab, Smarty, Severe duty fuel filter kit, Moog tie rod ends & torklift stabiloads, Ford/Dana 60 manual locking hubs, Dynatrac/EMF balljoints.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
pfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
If your "C" forging is wallowed out, nothing short of a new housing will fix that.

I would remove the joint, weld up the bore in the egged out spot, re-work the shape with a half-round bastard and then re-install the joint. But thats just me.

good luck.

Nothing short of a new housing? Which housing? Ball joint housing? Or do you mean the C bore itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 05:47 PM
Diesel Head

The bore itself, if that is indeed the problem. Getting a pair of calipers and taking some measurements would tell you if it’s out of round and how much

Maybe you could source a new knuckle from a junk yard or online somewhere?
pfb likes this.

-1999 2500 white sport QCSB/NV4500/EMS free spins
-1997 2500 12v LWB 5spd, 1998.5 3500 P24V 5spd
-2016 MC Laramie G56 maximum steel/CTT/CTS2/SB3250/37s
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 06:12 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuljas23 View Post
Maybe you could source a new knuckle from a junk yard or online somewhere?
A new knuckle won't help if the balljoint bore in the "c" forging is egged out.
pfb and DarylB like this.

2012 3500, Dually, 4X4, G56, reg cab, Smarty, Severe duty fuel filter kit, Moog tie rod ends & torklift stabiloads, Ford/Dana 60 manual locking hubs, Dynatrac/EMF balljoints.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 06:34 PM
Diesel Head

I see what’s goin on now. I’d start by taking some measurements. Could maybe get a machine shop to weld the bore and machine it out but you’ll probably be buying a new housing.
pfb likes this.

-1999 2500 white sport QCSB/NV4500/EMS free spins
-1997 2500 12v LWB 5spd, 1998.5 3500 P24V 5spd
-2016 MC Laramie G56 maximum steel/CTT/CTS2/SB3250/37s
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:48 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
The upper joint has no load on it. Only acts to locate the steering knuckle. All load is in the lower joint. I have had uppers that slip fits and cause no issues. If it will not go down all the way then something is in the bore or the joint is out of spec. Inwould call Carli and ask them. Take a wire wheel to the inside of the bore or even a brake hone and clean it up real good. Install it with some loctite once it will seat.

73 K4CTD
2018 2500 CC SB Laramie - stock for now
2005 2500 QC SB, Rebuilt at 330K miles, Sold

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:55 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,726 Times in 921 Posts
Is the ball joint firm in the bore? Looks as if the outboard side is tight to the housing. Is it possible to file/grind the outboard side of the housing so that the whole unit can drop the required amount? I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about doing ball joints, although I will fairly soon I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013-2500 Laramie 4x4-CC-Long Box-Auto-3:42
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
pfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowel2013 View Post
Is the ball joint firm in the bore? Looks as if the outboard side is tight to the housing. Is it possible to file/grind the outboard side of the housing so that the whole unit can drop the required amount? I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about doing ball joints, although I will fairly soon I'm sure.

The upper ball joint needs to be perfectly aligned with its intended axis so that it will allow the knuckle to turn properly. Especially on Carli and i'm sure others there is so little tolerance in the unit that if it's not 100% on axis, it will bind as it rotates even though it's not carrying any load.

I did try a wire wheel (cone, technically) to it already, prior to the attempts to reinstall it. That did help I think, got it to seat properly at first, but then once the press was removed it came back up again.

I think the idea of welding a bit of a bead in there along the hollowed out portion and then filing/honing it to the needed diameter is going to be the way to go; planning to give that a try tomorrow if no other ideas pop up here.

2015 Ram 3500 6.7L SRW
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:36 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,726 Times in 921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
The upper ball joint needs to be perfectly aligned with its intended axis so that it will allow the knuckle to turn properly. Especially on Carli and i'm sure others there is so little tolerance in the unit that if it's not 100% on axis, it will bind as it rotates even though it's not carrying any load.

I did try a wire wheel (cone, technically) to it already, prior to the attempts to reinstall it. That did help I think, got it to seat properly at first, but then once the press was removed it came back up again.

I think the idea of welding a bit of a bead in there along the hollowed out portion and then filing/honing it to the needed diameter is going to be the way to go; planning to give that a try tomorrow if no other ideas pop up here.

I was not condoning changing the bore to allow ball joint to rotate into place. Based on your picture, it looks like the ball joint needs to go straight down but can't because the top of the frame on the outboard side is higher than inboard. Or, put another way, the top mating surface is not perpendicular to the bore.

2013-2500 Laramie 4x4-CC-Long Box-Auto-3:42
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:39 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Welding cast is not trivial if you have never done it I would not recommend doing it. Needs to be preheated to about 700 degrees prior to welding and then cooled very slowly after welding. Also needs peened after welding to prevent cracks.

73 K4CTD
2018 2500 CC SB Laramie - stock for now
2005 2500 QC SB, Rebuilt at 330K miles, Sold

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
pfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowel2013 View Post
I was not condoning changing the bore to allow ball joint to rotate into place. Based on your picture, it looks like the ball joint needs to go straight down but can't because the top of the frame on the outboard side is higher than inboard. Or, put another way, the top mating surface is not perpendicular to the bore.

Oooooh sorry. You've got a good point, I will double check tomorrow that it's 90 degrees from top surface to bore wall. That will also help verify whether it's really egged out, and where.
Trowel2013 likes this.

2015 Ram 3500 6.7L SRW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode