BD Throttle Booster - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
BD Throttle Booster

Gents - I tuned my truck and absolutely love it! For the first while, it was such a riot to drive. Personally, Iím pretty sure itís lost some power due to the cold front cover I put on, but I suspect Iíve also just gotten used to it so the thrill has worn off.

With that said, what could you guys say about the throttle booster from BD? I know it wonít add more power - thatís what the tune is for, but Iím just thinking it gives the truck 40% power at say 20% throttle..........or am I missing something?

My biggest gripe is just that little delay it takes to get the truck above 1500 rpm from a dead stop....will it help?

2018 2500 Laramie CTD CCSB 4x4
Method NV, Toyo RT, Edge CTS 2 W/ EGT Pyro, Calibrated Intact King Tune, BD Valvebody Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:38 PM
Diesel Freak

From my experience (I've run a BD for a couple years now) it will do exactly what you are asking.
boshog likes this.

2013 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 68RFE, 3:42
2013 Wind River 280RLS Travel Trailer (34')
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

What happens at 3/4 throttle plus? Is the rest all ‘dead?’ Or does the truck still have more to give?

Method NV, Toyo RT, Edge CTS 2 W/ EGT Pyro, Calibrated Intact King Tune, BD Valvebody Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Címon! I know more of you have one than that

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Cummins Nut

I believe @HeavyTwo likes his. I've been debating trying one, but I'm happy with the way my truck drives so I've been hesitant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyTwo View Post
Get a Throttle Booster, like BD or pedal commander.

I was doubtful at first, and even planed retuning it within a week. ( before I installed it, I figured I'd give one week and return)

Absolutely BEST single modification I've done. Truly a day to night improvement in drivability. I would rather have a Throttle booster over a larger turbo. I'd rather have a Throttle Booster over a ~150HP tune.

I was using a booster for about 2 years.
I then deleted, added a bigger turbo and ~150HP tune.
I removed the Booster, figured with 150HP tune, won't need booster.

Drove with 150HP tune for about a day.. L A M E. Even with a larger turbo and 150HP tune, the truck just felt boring to drive in stop-go traffic. ( obviously, on the open road, the tune and the larger turbo is INSANE ) But in town type driving is VERY LAME, like driving a loaded bus.

So, I reinstalled the booster.....

Now, it drives like a sports car when city driving. It'll launch from a light very hard, with a little throttle. Tuned, deleted with a larger turbo and the booster is just crazy.

But, If I could have only ONE mod, I'd gladly give up the 150HP tune, the Larger turbo, and everything else and just be happy with a Throttle booster.

Anyway, I recommend trying a Throttle booster. Not sure how it'll affect with a manual. On my Auto, the booster forces a downshift. Basically the booster also changes the way the auto shifts.
Quote:
I've had many tunes since. Including LBF. Regardless of the tune, the truck drives lame without the throttle booster. I asked the tuner if they can increase throttle, so I can remove booster. They claim they did. But also reccomend everyone use a throttle booster WITH a tune.

It's hard to conceive the guys with tunes that throttle booster will make an improvement. But every once in awhile you see a post on FB where a doubter tries a throttle booster and swears by it now.

EVERYONE should buy one. Worse case, you can return it.
TiBoneFramer likes this.

'14 3500 SLT CCLB SRW 68RFE 3.42
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:20 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I had one on a couple of trucks back. At the time someone suggested that it added power. I ended up calling a vendor and got with a tech. He stated that it does not add power....... technically. I was like, "well what does that mean?". His answer surprised me, He said that it does increase response time of the throttle but that it gave a different response to the transmission than it does to the motor. That the reason that it did this was to fool and reduce the torque management system. And here is the kicker. A truck with a BD throttle booster should be quicker than one without, even if you smash the go peddle to the floor from the get go because of reduced torque management input. In other words, if your truck is a 800lb feet of torque model, the computer only lets it get to 800 in specific circumstances. The Throttle booster gets it there more often and quicker.
I do not know if all of that is true or not, but I do believe that it felt like more power than without, no mater how hard I pushed the peddle. (I had the switch and never went over 50%)

2004 3500 with a NV5600
2018 2500 mega cab. CTT intact tuning.
2004 VW Jetta TDI
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonson View Post
I had one on a couple of trucks back. At the time someone suggested that it added power. I ended up calling a vendor and got with a tech. He stated that it does not add power....... technically. I was like, "well what does that mean?". His answer surprised me, He said that it does increase response time of the throttle but that it gave a different response to the transmission than it does to the motor. That the reason that it did this was to fool and reduce the torque management system. And here is the kicker. A truck with a BD throttle booster should be quicker than one without, even if you smash the go peddle to the floor from the get go because of reduced torque management input. In other words, if your truck is a 800lb feet of torque model, the computer only lets it get to 800 in specific circumstances. The Throttle booster gets it there more often and quicker.
I do not know if all of that is true or not, but I do believe that it felt like more power than without, no mater how hard I pushed the peddle. (I had the switch and never went over 50%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron37 View Post
I believe @HeavyTwo likes his. I've been debating trying one, but I'm happy with the way my truck drives so I've been hesitant.
So Iíve purchased trans tuning and done some small mods, but I worry this is going to be a trans killer. Also, I really donít want to run out of pedal so to speak. I like to know that if Iím not at the floor, she still has more to make.

But I love the idea of the truck getting off the line faster. Anyone else want to add their input?

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:38 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I ran one for several months before I tuned the truck. Once tuned, the torque management and "dead pedal" thing were gone so I saw no point reinstalling the Booster.

I have no idea what other people are talking about with respect to transmission, etc. ALL this thing can do it lie to the ECM about your accelerator pedal position. It can't do anything your foot can't do, it just changes the response time.

My impression was that it merely changed the shape of the curve. 0% is still 0% and 100% is still 100% but instead of being linear it ramps up more aggressively over the low accelerator pedal positions. Having never seen the curve I can only say how it felt but my impression was that by about 50% it was back to being relatively linear the rest of the way to 100%. It didn't seem like, "hey, now I only have to use half the pedal travel".

In the end I'd much rather have linear throttle response across full pedal travel.

'13 CCSB - SRW - AS69RC - 37" STT Pro - 4.10 - Grizzly Locker - 16.5Ti - Tuned by Optimal Welding - "And if you don't know, now you know."
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Wonder if it affects the trans learning/ shift characteristics. I feel like if I baby the gas for too long the shift tend to get soft and happen earlier vs if I drive it a harder it tend to shift firmer. I personally like the firmer shift and have been contemplating getting a throttle booster to see if that helps keep the shift more consistent.

2014 2500 Laramie Thuren 2.5ís and 37ís
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:50 PM
Diesel Head

a throttle booster does affect the transmission, as far as to kick down.

For example, without TB, if you floor it in 3rd, it'll stay in 3rd gear. With a TB, it will force a downshift.

adding a booster will change when the transmission kicks down.

2014 RAM HD. Cummins 6.7 364.5SXE Turbo. EZLynk Tuned. Straight piped. Air-Ride.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:16 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
a throttle booster does affect the transmission, as far as to kick down.

For example, without TB, if you floor it in 3rd, it'll stay in 3rd gear. With a TB, it will force a downshift.

adding a booster will change when the transmission kicks down.
On my tunes if I punch it to the floor it will always downshift. If I roll it on it will hold that gear.

'14 3500 SLT CCLB SRW 68RFE 3.42
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:30 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I just bought a pedal commander a few weeks back and it makes a huge difference. I drove around town and turned it on and then back off.
It has blue tooth which is nice. Driving back to back was a night and day change. I also got up to speed and floored it see if I could tell a
difference which I could not. But, around town and stop and go, its like a whole different truck. Money well spent and I was one of the
skeptics, thought I would try it and return it, but I am keeping it. I do agree that care needs to be taken when in the sport settings, this
thing has got to be hard on the driveline and tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode