Key Fob acting up - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aaron37

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Key Fob acting up

Any idea why my Keyfob would only work intermittently?

I have changed the battery.
I have taken it completely apart and blown air to get all dust out.

It still only works sometimes. I wish I could find where I put my spare.....

'16 2500 Laramie Cummins| 68RFE | Anarchy Deleted and Tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:56 PM
Diesel Head

Dirt on the contacts ? Is it one button or all ?

2016 Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7L CUMMINS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:56 AM
Diesel Freak

Trip to the dealer for 2 replacements? Electronic cleaner? Find the lost fob? Hmmmmmmmmm

2014 2500 Laramie Crew, short bed. 2014 30í 10k Timber Ridge TT, Nascar Nut.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 12:41 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post

First thing I would check is, take the rubber button overlay pad off, and see if it functions normally by pressing the actual buttons on the circuit board.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 12:56 PM
Diesel Freak

There are other threads. I see this too with ONE of my two fobs. Clean it out, replace the battery.... and the buttons stop working. Works to allow me to unlock the truck walking up to it, and starts and runs the truck via proximity... but no button action.

Switch fobs. Put the iffy one away for a month. Take it out. Works fine for a couple weeks, then stops.

Other fob works fine all the time.

Dealer reports everything "working as designed" twice.

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:

You may have misplaced your missing Fob inside the truck. When the two of them are close together or when one is already in the truck, they get nervous.

I went to use mine to unlock the door and didn't realize I had the spare in my other hand. Panic time. Nothing.

As soon as I moved the spare a little distance away, they both worked fine.

Start by looking between the console and the seat, under the seat, in the cavernous console, glove box(es).

I bet it's in there somewhere.

or not

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:49 PM
Cummins Nut

I have found my buttons will start not working as well and the range goes down after time. I take them apart and usually there is a bunch of black rubber and dirt smudged all over the contacts. I take a q-tip and some 91% isopropyl alcohol and clean the contacts and the back of the rubber. After doing that they work like new!
URDiesel likes this.

'14 3500 SLT CCLB SRW 68RFE 3.42
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:03 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I've had a couple of key fob failures and both were because one of the little metal contact dots inside of the rubble face came off. The first time the dealer fixed it by just changing the rubber face with one off of a random fob they happen to have in a drawer there (for free BTW!). The second one I bought a fob with no electronic "guts" inside it off of eBay for something like $8 or $10 and switched out the rubber face myself.

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
Arise - Kill - Eat ACTS 10:13
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

So I tracked this down to something acting up within the keyfob. When I push down on the plastic piece between the lock/unlock while pushing my desired function, it works. In that area of the fob electronics it's a black box. The battery is on the other side. I went ahead and bent the battery terminals to ensure it's getting voltage and no difference.

I folded up a post-it note and stuck it in my fob behind the black box to keep pressure on it with the outer housing. Whatever it's doing, it's working now. I don't see any broken terminals so not sure why it's doing this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:37 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
So I tracked this down to something acting up within the keyfob. When I push down on the plastic piece between the lock/unlock while pushing my desired function, it works. In that area of the fob electronics it's a black box. The battery is on the other side. I went ahead and bent the battery terminals to ensure it's getting voltage and no difference.

I folded up a post-it note and stuck it in my fob behind the black box to keep pressure on it with the outer housing. Whatever it's doing, it's working now. I don't see any broken terminals so not sure why it's doing this.
Also worked for me. Wasn't working when I fetched it. Stuffed a little folded pad behind the radio chip. Works great now, more reliably than it ever has. How 'bout that?

Maybe weak wave flow soldering under the chip package. Works loose with temperature changes. Apply pressure to mitigate. Same problem as on the PS2 system boards that developed the blue ring of death.

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPeterson View Post
Also worked for me. Wasn't working when I fetched it. Stuffed a little folded pad behind the radio chip. Works great now, more reliably than it ever has. How 'bout that?

Maybe weak wave flow soldering under the chip package. Works loose with temperature changes. Apply pressure to mitigate. Same problem as on the PS2 system boards that developed the blue ring of death.
Not sure of cause. I keep my key on my belt loop so it flops around a lot, maybe broke a connection inside the box. I rarely use the buttons since it's passive entry and push start.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode