Cummins Diesel Forum banner

DPF Not Covered Under Warranty?

43K views 173 replies 38 participants last post by  jcpliner 
#1 ·
My truck went to the dealer on Monday for an on again/off again CEL. The light was caused by a faulty turbo speed sensor. The dealer is telling me that the DPF is cracked and needs to be replaced due to problems caused by the faulty turbo speed sensor.

For the past three regens (read via an Edge CTS-2) the truck has bucked, stumbled, and hesitated to accelerate, which is part of the reason that I took it to the dealer.

I have the biggest and best MaxCare warranty there is. it was provided free from Chrysler because of what transpired in this thread...https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/...-truck-started-went-haywire-wont-restart.html and they're telling me that my DPF is not covered and isn't covered by the federal 8yr/80,000 mile emissions warranty.

As of today, my truck is 4 years old and has 57,000 mile on it. The dealer initially told me that they want $3,600 to replace the DPF but managed to get that cut in half by the regional Chrysler rep.

At this point, I've had it up to the top of my rapidly balding head and am ready to trade it off for a Ford gasser. Does anyone believe I have any recourse other than paying $1,800 to the dealer, deleting the truck (which opens another can of worms), or trading it off?

See less See more
#2 ·
My two cents here are probably worthless, but here they are:

If it’s NOT covered under 8/80 federal requirements, then ask the dealer to remove it, replace it with a test pipe, and tune it out. ask to renew your emissions and inspection stickers (if you have those) while it's in. They don’t have a problem enabling or disabling features with the starscan, so why not the DPF? when they say "because removing it is illegal..."

ohhh! ding!

that'll be the sound of the light bulb going off in the service writer's head.

also have a real close read at your warranty's inclusions and exclusions. I'm betting it IS covered and they're just trying to backpedal to avoid paying for an extremely expensive mandatory band-aid.

i'd ask for them to get someone, anyone, to justify exactly how a turbo speed sensor killed your DPF. the late 3rd (and early 4th) gen trucks read MAP, MAF, IAT, and turbo speed all on the same channel with a less sophisticated ECM calibration and low-speed can-bus system, which they cross reference with engine load, exhaust pressure, throttle position, and the TCM to determine where in the fuel map the truck needs to be. they'll sometimes throw a code not for the actual problem sensor but the "odd man out" sensor, if that makes sense. I've heard of cracked injectors taking out filters and coolers, but not a redundant sensor. especially not one which gets cross-referenced six ways to Sunday by the ECM on a nearly real-time basis.

hope this helps, and I'm sorry for the run of bad luck. hope this helps (or at least proves mildly entertaining).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
#4 ·
If it were my truck, and I wanted to keep it in its current condition, I would buy a second hand one off a marketplace somewhere. Lots of low miles ones out there. I would also be concerned that something took it out.

Assuming they dont do the right thing and replace it at there cost.

#5 ·
My understanding was that the DPF is only covered up to 50K on the original warranty.

And, I also had the max care warranty, and it specifically excluded the DPF.

Were the truck mine, I would find a used one someone took off their low mile truck when they deleted it.

#6 ·
The link lists “exhaust system, including catalysts” as covered for 5/50 on one and 8/80 on the other. I’m betting they’re trying to pick the 5/50 as part of “exhaust system” and “catalyst” (since the DPF is technically a filter, not a catalyst) to get out of eating another one.

This crap is why the epa should stick to efficiency standards; if an engine is more efficient, it’ll be inherently cleaner as well. Burn less = pollute less. But there we go, making sense again. Clearly ain’t nobody got time for that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
It IS covered under the 8/80 warranty and the dealer knows this hence why they are trying to only charge you half.

Here is what is written in the FCA warranty.
Parts Covered for 8 Years or 80,000 Miles,
Whichever Occurs First
If your truck has one of the following parts, the Federal
Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of 8 years
or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the
start date of the Basic Limited Warranty. The Basic Limited
Warranty begins on either of the following dates,
whichever is earlier:
• the date you take delivery of the vehicle; or
• the date when the vehicle was first put into service —
for example, as a dealer “demo” or as a FCA US
company vehicle.
The covered parts are:
• Oxidation Catalyst/Particulate Filter Assembly - 6.7L
• Powertrain Control Module - 6.7L
• Selective Catalytic Reduction Catalyst Assembly - 6.7L

If you need it for your specific truck use this website
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/current-model-year-coverage.html

#9 ·
For what year model did you copy this warranty info?

Because you can't go by that except for the year you were looking at.

The warranty on my 2015 reads very differently than that...

5. Emission Warranties Required
By Law
5.1 Federal Vehicle Emission Warranty -
6.7L Diesel Equipped Heavy Duty
Truck
A. Parts Covered for 5 Years or 50,000 Miles,
Whichever Occurs First
Diesel equipped heavy duty trucks are 2500 and 3500
models only.
Federal law requires Chrysler to warrant the following
emissions parts for 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever
occurs first.
• Air system controls;
• charge air cooler and associated plumbing;
• coolant temperature sensor;
• DEF system (includes tank, sensors, valves, pump,
doser, control module and heater);
• engine speed, position sensor, and cam position sensor
• exhaust system (includes catalysts and sensors);
• electronic fuel injection system, including injector;
• exhaust manifold;
• exhaust gas recirculation valve and control system
(includes EGR cooler);
• exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and last
catalyst)
• fuel pump, fuel lines and fuel injectors;
• intake manifold;
• on-board diagnostic-system components;
• NOx sensors, Ammonia Sensor and associated modules;
• positive crankcase-ventilation (PCV) valve or orifice;
• powertrain control module;
• transmission-control module;
• turbocharger and turbocharger speed sensor;
• turbocharger compressor inlet air temperature/
pressure sensor; and
• wiring harness circuits connected at both ends to
emissions warrantable components.
B. Parts Covered for 8 Years or 80,000 Miles,
Whichever Occurs First
If your truck has one of the following parts, this Federal
Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of 8
years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated
from the start date of the Basic Limited Warranty as set
forth in Section 2.1(E). The covered parts are:
• all catalysts
• powertrain control module
• transmission control module

#8 ·
I read the warranty (posted as for a 2013 ), unless it's a catalyst it's not covered under 5.1(b)

But I have read many that says it is

https://donotdpfdelete.green/is-a-dpf-filter-covered-under-warranty/

Dodge Cummins Particulate Filter Warranty:

Emission equipment warranty coverage for theDodge Cumminsis 8 years or 80,000 miles. Several posts describe issues involving the DPF and SCR systems back to the 2007 and 2008 model years. One significant problem being reported, cracked filters showing up right away in the buying cycle.
https://www.dpfproblems.net/america-federal-emissions-warranty/

Suffice to say, that if a DPF system was a mandatory requirement in America, then it would be covered by the mandatory Emissions Component Warranty which lasts for 8 years / 80,000 miles, and has been around since 1996!.

All that said I am afraid you have a hard road ahead of you, I am sorry....

#10 ·
The warranty on everything pretty much ends at 5 years. I know, mine is throwing the P2201 code. Nox sensor is covered to 5 years and not covered by the extended Max care warranty. As time marches on all the trucks, the warranties die. For mine, the only thing still covered is the PCM, TCM, and all catalysts. The big problem with the CEL's is that you can't get a smog cert with it and I'll need one in March. At least I am done with the dealers.

Reactions: cwendel
#12 ·
EPA: "We're from the government and we're here to help"

The EPA needs to be destroyed. Utterly. Completely and absolutely, and all its employees barred from working for any government agency anywhere inside American Borders.

Then we can start over. Do it right. Regulations that make sense. Regulations that aren't 10 years ahead of the available technology and engineering.

The wildfires in Aussieville are mostly because greenies prevented their version of the Forestry Service from doing prescribed (preventative) burns.

And absolutely are at fault in the wildfires in Kalifornication.

Yes, the greenies and the EPA are not only in the same boat they work hand-in-hand.

A greenie group will work out an agreement with the EPA beforehand, then file suit and get a Judge to legalize the agreement. Codifying it.

Happens ALL the time.

Those fines, those multi-multi-million dollar fines levied against companies all the time for breaking EPA rules???

The Companies can make 'in-kind' donations to specified, approved 501(c)3 organizations and get their fines lowered. Dramatically. Not too much (if at all) anymore. Not under this new guy. One reason of many why they all hate him.

Good

The EPA is a truly EVIL organization. I don't care what you're told. It is a corrupt and evil group.

Yes, Virginia, we DO need someone watching stupid, uncaring and greedy corporations.

But not someone that's just as corrupt, stupid and uncaring.

Start over

end rant

#15 ·
When they were trying to sell me on Max Care, I told them I didn't care what was covered, I want a list of things NOT covered.They provided the list on paper. The DPF was one of many things not covered.

#16 ·
The dpf is easy to change out. No need to pull the tailpipe, muffler, or down header. FWIW, I wouldn't consider paying close to what they want. Used dpf can be picked up under $500. All back legal.
All you gotta do is remove the the doc (NOx cat) and dpf nuts. Unplug everthing connected to dpf sensors and pressure lines, and use a ratchet strap attached to the tailpipe hanger bracket and axle lower shock mount. Pull back 2" and the doc will come out. Then the dpf can be removed. They will come apart surprisingly clean. Dish soap gets the hanger blocks off by hand.
PBblaster will help get the nuts, pressure lines and sensors out.
Even the gaskets can be reused if handled carefully. If handy with tools, one hour. Then reset codes and go.
Edit: It occurs to me that your def exhaust is different from my 2012....?? YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
The DPF also had a recall. If that recall was not done on your truck, it should be done now. Regardless of what they said they checked, the filter required replacement because of crappy parts.
The new crappy part lasted about 10000 miles on my truck, and was then out of warranty.
The dealer is trying to split hairs since in essence both filters are part of the federal emissions system. Also, if there is no soot on your tailpipe, then the filter was not cracked. Easy check. Make the dealer show you all the problems and where the DPF was cracked. Do not trust dealers.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

#53 ·
They do not clean them with chemicals. Heat and air pressure . They bake them in high heat, and blow air through them.This is what the local Cummins dealer here uses.

Reactions: Minnow101
#24 ·
So for fun I went to my local Ram, Jeep dealer today to ask questions about my CEL and warranty. Handed them my Max Care card and they said the Nox sensor is covered,,, And i have 4 recalls to be done. The drag link the weld, once it's in the dealer they have to set the toe and weld the nuts, I said no and they said they have to do it. Then there is the gear shift thing, then the air bag update, then the tailgate recall. I told them that my toe is perfect, don't even touch it, they said they might be able to not touch it. I fear they will screw up more than they fix. Going to check with another dealer first. Just need to get the Nox done for smog and registration.

#27 ·
I picked my truck up today and here is my update:

I fought tooth and nail for proof that the DPF was cracked. I even took the service writer out and showed him the perfectly clean tailpipe. I wiped it with a shop rag as far inside as I could reach and there wasn't a speck of soot. He says they use computer readings to determine the health of the DPF. I asked him what the values were and what they should be to which he wasn't able to provide the numbers.

The did all the open recalls and replaced a NOX sensor but only offered me 50% off parts and labor for a replacement DPF. On my way home, the CEL illuminated and it has a P225E code which is for a NOX sensor. The same service writer says that it's because there's not enough back pressure in the DPF because of the crack.

This dealer is acting totally different than they did a few years ago when I was having major issues with my other. They are in no hurry to help or offer solutions. They even denied the warranty claim for my backup camera claiming it has water in it but they didn't even remove the unit to inspect it.

So...my CTS2 shows anywhere from .10 to .50 psi of pressure. Does anyone have the capability to monitor theirs to compare reading?

#28 ·
Well, hate to say it, but the P225E could be due to a crack in the DPF, one reason that code can pop is when there is an exhaust leak.

I'd say to get it up in the air, or skinny under it, while you have it running hot at high idle and check all around the DPF and see if you can find a leak, careful not to get burned.

Just because there is not soot in the exhaust outlet doesn't necessarily mean the DPF doesn't have a crack.

#39 ·
Sorry to derail the thread a little. Did you submit for reimbursement online? Did you have to visit the dealer first to see if the had the new drag link available. I didn’t want my drag link welded so I just purchased a synergy, would be nice if I could also get some sort of reimbursement.

Thanks,

#40 ·
I had a DPF crack inside at about 13K miles. No codes or CEL but black soot in the exhaust pipe. Went to dealer that said if it was cracked it would throw codes and CEL. Drove it another year then went back and convinced them it was bad and they replaced it. Then had to go back for the SCR cat recall and the ammonia sensor was removed. I now have a CEL for the NOX sensor that I was told is covered, along with a list of recalls due. One is the drag link that I would like to replace with the Synergy if I can get reimbursed for it. Otherwise don't touch it.

#41 ·
The nox sensors fail in a regular basis. The techs know it and the writers try to get you to pay what fca won't. It is really is just a scam as the rear nox sensor is after the SCR. Now if you had one of the wiring recalls done, they may have screwed up the harness and you have a short in the harness causing the sensor fail.
Now if the guy won't proved the part has failed to you, then it has not failed. Simple math. Besides, every state has a law saying they must provide you with any repaired parts after the work is done and I bet this guy would refuse for some reason.

using Tapatalk

#45 ·
My dealer says that the Nox sensors will be covered by the Max care warranty and they will replace both of them if needed. The one at the turbo is hard to get at but the tech said he could do it in 30 min by going in through the top. The rear one is easy. The Nox sensor won't cause limp mode but it's failure will put stress on other devices. IMO, the entire system is way too complicated for the job it needs to do.
As far as DEF going away, never going to happen. It's a world wide system and it's production and distribution is huge. I would rather see the EGR system gone.

Reactions: 968673 and URDiesel
#49 ·
I had a daily as when I bought the truck to replace a 1500 I realized just how small the parking spots at work were. So it became my weekend, rv tow rig that was used mostly during the summer. In three years I had not even broken 12000. Then a rear main n leak and a screwed crank by the dealer led to a new motor by 26000. A year and 8000 later the sensor went. The dealer had been just clearing the code for months after the motor swap and recalls. Just had an accident and destroyed the daily so now the truck is my daily. Just found real rust on the body in the wheel well when washing the other day. When the blisters start I will either cut the qtrs off and put on fiberworx qtrs or go for a flat bet on it.

using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.