Turbo code U010C - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Turbo code U010C

Been a long time since i've been here got rid of the bug of messing with my trucks, but need some help with my 13 3500. It has 166km (just over 100k miles) and i'm 1 month out of the engine warranty. I've read enough to know it's the turbo code from the actuator, possibly need to replace turbo. I've tried contacting dealers here and searching online but no definite answer as to which warranty coverage this would fall under? If it's not the 5/100k miles I won't waste my time with the dealer, if it is it's worth a shot to try and get at least some covered as i'm so close to still being in warranty.

Here's the odd part, the light went on/off a few times I figured maybe dirty air filter, changed made no difference, pull code with reader and see what it is. I checked the wiring and there is power and ground and resistance is fine on the harness. Since re-connecting it took about 10 starts for engine light to come back (I checked to make sure it was same code and no new ones) after 4 starts it disappeared, after roughly 10-12 more it came back, 4 starts gone again. Probably at 20 starts now and again nothing. I'm wondering does it sound like more electrical being so erratic? This is over a span of about 2 weeks.

I pulled my 16k bumper pull trailer last week, no loss of power at all. Exhaust brake works perfect in 6th gear in both modes, soon as truck shifts down engine brake doesn't work in any other gears (works fine again if truck goes to 6th). No odd sounds at all.

I've owned since new and always run the engine brake, and tow/haul reasonably heavy often, I think in the whole life of truck i've got the regen pop up 2 times. So i'm assuming the turbo has got to be pretty clean.

If no warranty my plan was to take it to reputable shop let them pull apart and check out turbo, that way I have warranty on actuator if they tell me turbo is fine. Is it worth the savings for not doing turbo? I plan to run this truck until it's not worth fixing, so i'm fine with spending a few extra bucks if it will work out better in the long run.

Is it worth it to take it to Cummins for repair? There is one near me, never had anything there for service but been helpful buying parts.

07 2500 CTD 4x4 Way to stock.....

Sold 2004.5 3500 4x4 CTD Laramie 6 spd std A few mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 05:56 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,726 Times in 921 Posts
MHO is that from the info you provided, it's probably the actuator. In my case, the code popped when ever I cold started the truck. I could watch the VGT position on my CTS2 Insight and it would read 0% until the truck warmed up. Then it would work fine. Plenty of power and EB in all gears that it would normally work in. I talked to multiple techs. Told them the symptoms and they cautioned me on only changing the actuator. According to them, with my symptoms, they thought it was more than likely the collar starting to stick and it would loosen up enough to work once it was warm. I decided that since I was out of warranty and didn't have the time or patience to keep fooling with it, I bit the bullet and replaced the whole turbo and actuator together. My dad works in the auto repair industry and was able to get me a really good deal on a OEM remanufactured turbo with actuator. Lucky for me, it didn't need to be calibrated either. Did the swap in my driveway. Total PITA, but saved me a ton of money.

I wish you luck. If you need more info from me, let me know. I'll help any way I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013-2500 Laramie 4x4-CC-Long Box-Auto-3:42
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:42 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Most cummins Corp shops won't touch them due to agreements with fca. Find a good independent.

73 K4CTD
2018 2500 CC SB Laramie - stock for now
2005 2500 QC SB, Rebuilt at 330K miles, Sold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:51 AM

Garage
If you decide to replace the actuator you might consider the City Diesel replacement for $895.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...3/new-products

2018 2500 Laramie CC SRW
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowel2013 View Post
MHO is that from the info you provided, it's probably the actuator. In my case, the code popped when ever I cold started the truck. I could watch the VGT position on my CTS2 Insight and it would read 0% until the truck warmed up. Then it would work fine. Plenty of power and EB in all gears that it would normally work in. I talked to multiple techs. Told them the symptoms and they cautioned me on only changing the actuator. According to them, with my symptoms, they thought it was more than likely the collar starting to stick and it would loosen up enough to work once it was warm. I decided that since I was out of warranty and didn't have the time or patience to keep fooling with it, I bit the bullet and replaced the whole turbo and actuator together. My dad works in the auto repair industry and was able to get me a really good deal on a OEM remanufactured turbo with actuator. Lucky for me, it didn't need to be calibrated either. Did the swap in my driveway. Total PITA, but saved me a ton of money.

I wish you luck. If you need more info from me, let me know. I'll help any way I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The only reason I figured mine might be different is because it doesn't change, doesn't matter if truck is cold or hot, it works exactly the same. Called a shop and they also recommend doing the whole turbo and said they don't like to only do the actuator.

Labour was ok, just under $900 but they want $5600 for a rebuilt turbo which seems insane.

How bad was the swap and how long did it take? I have a heated garage I can do the work in, but i've never done a turbo and sure looks like there isn't a lot of room in there. For $900 not sure I want to bother, but it would mean finding a shop with a reasonably priced unit or bringing a unit for a shop to put in but not sure many would want to do that.

I found this rebuilt one online and it's in Canada for $2100. Am I missing something? I've have to verify it comes with actuator but from the picture it does. Even the brand new one is only $4200. Shipping is free, i'm sure shipping to return my turbo would be under $100 and for $3500 difference it's worth the hassle.

https://www.bcdiesel.ca/en/turbo-cha...odge-2013-2019

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith67 View Post
If you decide to replace the actuator you might consider the City Diesel replacement for $895.

Seems like a good idea but I don't think I want to risk only replacing part. Also a nightmare when you'd have to take off the actuator look at it then order the part, being that i'm in Canada i'd be looking at a week plus of downtime, or having to put it back on and put coolant back in, then i'm probably in it for the same labour as a turbo replacement, and by the time I got that part to me with exchange i'd probably be at $1400 and very close to the cost of a turbo.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocho View Post
The only reason I figured mine might be different is because it doesn't change, doesn't matter if truck is cold or hot, it works exactly the same. Called a shop and they also recommend doing the whole turbo and said they don't like to only do the actuator.

Labour was ok, just under $900 but they want $5600 for a rebuilt turbo which seems insane.

How bad was the swap and how long did it take? I have a heated garage I can do the work in, but i've never done a turbo and sure looks like there isn't a lot of room in there. For $900 not sure I want to bother, but it would mean finding a shop with a reasonably priced unit or bringing a unit for a shop to put in but not sure many would want to do that.

I found this rebuilt one online and it's in Canada for $2100. Am I missing something? I've have to verify it comes with actuator but from the picture it does. Even the brand new one is only $4200. Shipping is free, i'm sure shipping to return my turbo would be under $100 and for $3500 difference it's worth the hassle.

https://www.bcdiesel.ca/en/turbo-cha...odge-2013-2019
Heck, they've got a NEW one listed for $4195 CAD, which works out to $3226 US Dollars.

Or am I missing something??

Quick glance online tells me that $5600 for a 'rebuilt' ("rebuilt" is VERY different from 'Reman') turbo is on the nuts side.

Or, again, am I missing something?

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Found this one, specifies brand new actuator. Guess I should try a few more shops and see if any carry a rebuilt unit at a better price now that I know the other shop is just way overpriced.

https://hddieselsupply.ca/i-31643068...tegory:1292438

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RammerJam View Post
Heck, they've got a NEW one listed for $4195 CAD, which works out to $3226 US Dollars.

Or am I missing something??

Quick glance online tells me that $5600 for a 'rebuilt' ("rebuilt" is VERY different from 'Reman') turbo is on the nuts side.

Or, again, am I missing something?
My thoughts are the same, I don't think there's any point spending double the money on new but it shows how overpriced the local one is. I verified with them it was rebuilt as I thought maybe for that price it was new or some kind of upgrade. I haven't seen any say reman, I doubt anyone would ever buy one if they knew what it was.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocho View Post
My thoughts are the same, I don't think there's any point spending double the money on new but it shows how overpriced the local one is. I verified with them it was rebuilt as I thought maybe for that price it was new or some kind of upgrade. I haven't seen any say reman, I doubt anyone would ever buy one if they knew what it was.
I've always liked jasper Engines' stuff. I understand they still do good work. But that's just what I hear. I have no personal experience other than listening to what other people say.

And most people say 'rebuilt' even when it's actually a reman. But be sure of what you're buying. There is a YUGE difference.

https://www.jasperengines.com/cummin...air-components

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,681 Posts
If you do it yourself, you need a scan tool capable of recalibrating the actuator to the ecm, I think the alfaOBD can handle it and is the cheapest way.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith67 View Post

Seriously. Do this and report back how it goes. The world (namely me) needs feedback.

2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab - Calibrated Power Emission Intact Tune -AlphaRex / Morimoto / Hikari Ultra Headlights -Fox IFP Steering Damper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode