PreHeat Starting Question - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
PreHeat Starting Question

Every year when it gets cold enough for the heater grid to cycle and waits to start, I get an occasional no start. It goes through the process, the preheat message comes on, it tries to start up and then just dies. I just push the button again and it will always start right up just fine. It has done this since I have had this truck. Never has not started, but I really can't understand why this would happen. It almost seems like a dead battery thing when it does happen, but that's not the case though. I do remember reading a while back of other people experiencing this, but never found out what the cause was. It is rare and normally starts up just fine after the preheat cycle, but today for the first time again, it did not start after the preheat cycle. Just curious if anyone knows about this.

2014 3500 Laramie Mega Cab 4X4, SRW, Cummins/Aisin, Black Gold, Rambox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:56 PM

It cud be ur batteries ... If one is low it will carry the other .but eventually will b out both at the same time .

2016 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L White
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

I thought about the batteries, but it does the same thing with my current 2 year old batteries as it did with the original batteries. Never have any issues with starting other than this weird preheat cycle thing in the winter time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Diesel Head

On the auto start. Do you have the Drivers door closed before you hit the button to start it? My 17 will run the pre heat, but will not start the truck if the drivers door is not closed. If I get into the truck, step on the brake, and hit the start button, the truck will run the grid geaters then start the truck. But if the door is open, it will not crank, just cycle the heaters.
Cummins0867 and Tim'sDiesel like this.

2017 Laramie Longhorn, 3500 CCLB, DRW, AS69RC, 4.10 geared, Air Suspension. 2015 Dynamax Triology 38RL
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

I always close the door before starting. I usually don't keep my foot on the brake once I push the button. I have thought that sometimes I might not hold my foot on the brake long enough, and that is what might be causing the issue. Don't really know. Might have to do some experimenting with that. But, being in FL the cold usually doesn't last very long.
URDiesel likes this.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 10:39 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc2004 View Post
On the auto start. Do you have the Drivers door closed before you hit the button to start it? My 17 will run the pre heat, but will not start the truck if the drivers door is not closed. If I get into the truck, step on the brake, and hit the start button, the truck will run the grid geaters then start the truck. But if the door is open, it will not crank, just cycle the heaters.
Heck, I've gone in the garage, opened the door and put one hand on the brake and then push button start it...even with the grid heater going.

2018 2500 CC Laramie 6.7L Cummins
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:44 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me two mornings ago. I walked out about 3 minutes after hitting remote start and nothing. Opened the door and the message said it was cancelled due to door being open. Truck started pretty quickly when I was in, though. That afternoon, it remote started right up.

I thought that I may have accidentally hit the unlock button on the key fob. That will cancel the remote start too, I think. At least it has for me.

I'd be interested in knowing how common this is, too.
Cummins0867 likes this.

'18 Granite Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 CTD / Air Susp / Anti Spin / Wheel-to-Wheel Sidesteps / Husky Guards / Dee Zee Assist / Gator FX /AVS Aeroskin II / I-P Switches
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Anytime you have signals being sent to anything there is obviously a control board involved somewhere. I really don't trust all this tech stuff. I'm sure that all these boards are probably made in China. These are mostly crap (in my opinion). Seems everything I see in the line of electronic control boards are coming from there. I'm constantly replacing them in various equipment. Anyway, the communication between all these components are really not there yet, if ever. This is where our so called "Hiccups" are coming from. So, I just chock it up as another "Hiccup" to poor quality R&D and parts.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
Same thing happened to me two mornings ago. I walked out about 3 minutes after hitting remote start and nothing. Opened the door and the message said it was cancelled due to door being open. Truck started pretty quickly when I was in, though. That afternoon, it remote started right up.

I thought that I may have accidentally hit the unlock button on the key fob. That will cancel the remote start too, I think. At least it has for me.

I'd be interested in knowing how common this is, too.
I gave up remote starting on real windy/cold mornings for this.. One instance displayed door open, the second time it happened I had no message. I now just walk out and "push the button", watch the grid heater timer count down, then hit the brake and start it. Too many electronics to discombobulate in the cold weather... Have never had an issue outside of cold starts..

--

2016|3500|LONGHORN|CCSB/SRW|AS69RC
RACEME|FLO'PRO|COLT|AMERICAN OUTLAW
CCV SEPERATOR|AXLEDUMP|CPITOCK TUNED
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Diesel Head

I think this may have to do with an update. Read somewhere that they're trying to make FCA vehicles (more) idiot proof, and part of that was to automatically put them in park if backing up and opening the door.

Reason number 49 for why I refuse to have any "updates" or recalls done on mine.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy N. For This Useful Post:
Electrojake (12-09-2019)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
I think this may have to do with an update. Read somewhere that they're trying to make FCA vehicles (more) idiot proof, and part of that was to automatically put them in park if backing up and opening the door.

Reason number 49 for why I refuse to have any "updates" or recalls done on mine.
That one is only for the 1500 with the 8 speed and dial shifter. Itís not possible for the 6 speed autos because of the physical linkage. The 2019 HD gassers would already come with the auto park enabled. Anyone who has auto park can easily bypass it by either keeping foot rested on the brake, keeping the seat belt buckled, or getting a pass through seat belt adapter-

Jimmy N. likes this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Diesel Head

He's not having remote start issues. He said it starts and dies when he's in the truck
starting it with the button.

To me, it sounds like a fueling issue. You said it's always done this since new, correct ?
Was this truck purchased brand new by you? Has it been modified ?

Have you changed fuel filters regularly ?
When was the last time and what was the mileage interval ?

A cold engine will require more fuel to start and run. If the filters are near due because you changed them in the spring/summer, this might have something to do with it ????

What is your service interval. Also understand if the filters get restricted, you can damage the HPP.

If you have a scan tool, look at ECT, IAT and see if they match/near match when cold.
What mods have been done to the truck and when ?

This info can help lead to the COF. The more hard data, the better the posibility of finding a fault.
Intermittent problems are the worst.
When was the air filter last replaced ? Is it a factory filter and box ?

2016 Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7L CUMMINS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode