Winter towing? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Winter towing?

Hello driving and towing experts,

I bought my 4 season travel trailer and RAM in part to take it skiing. The thought was I would drive it to the ski lifts the night before, and get up for first tracks in the morning, then drive back home that afternoon. So one night, two at the most.

I havenít done this yet because Iíve been nervous about potentially getting caught in bad weather. Note I would NEVER intentionally drive up in snow or a storm or bad weather. This was more for a good weather window or late winter/early spring skiing, when the roads were clear of free snow/no new snow for days. I would bring chains for the vehicle and trailer since they might be required under state law IF we were to get a storm, but I would not go up if such a storm were anywhere in the forecast. So Iíd expect to tow just using the stock tires on both the truck and the trailer (my trailer has E rated trailer tires), no snow tires.

What do you think? What advice would you give me? If I drive cautiously and slowly is this something I can do? I have now driven about 5000 miles of towing over the last two years, and feel comfortable with what Iím doing, but Iím obviously no expert.

2017 3500 Laramie Megacab CTD SRW w/AISIN 4x4 air level suspension Delmonico red. Andersen WDH. 2018 Outdoors RV 23DBS 28í bumper pull TT 6350 dry/9950 wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 08:28 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Ice and compacted snow can be a huge issue on mountain grades even in relatively nice weather, it is not just the stormy weather that can bite you in the azz! Ice that is right at the freezing/thawing temperature can be deadly, and there is nothing in the world as exciting as sliding down a steep hill backward with a trailer dragging you!!!!!
An old cowboy saying........experience is what you get right after you need it the most!!! Chain up BEFORE you NEED them!
Be sure to have some real good winter tires on the Ram, not just something that it came with. Do your research for what is the ďbestĒ.

How much ďwinter driving experienceĒ do you have overall? if not much, I would re-think the whole idea.

Above all......have fun, and good luck.
kevinc2004 likes this.

Desert Don, in the Grand Canyon State
2018 3500 DRW, 2013 Raptor @ 41í long and 18000 GVW.......and too many toys!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Don82146 For This Useful Post:
Ontario Trucker (12-06-2019)
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Cummins Dude

Garage
I donít think going up will be as much issue as coming down!
Big difference in towing weight upwards. 4 x High will pretty much get you up there without issue.

Coming down though. Different story. You have weight pushing you from behind. Careful with the exhaust brake. Iíve had mine break loose without towing coming down off the mountain. Almost streaked my underwear!

Unless the roads were clear, I personally would probably not do it, but depends on what kind of maintenance DOT does on the road.
I donít have and have never used chains so cannot offer any advise in that dept.
kevinc2004 and Jimmy N. like this.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CCSB SRW 4x4 6.7L CTD 370hp-800tq 68RFE 3:42's HID's XB LED Fogs Amp Steps Air Bags 5er Prep Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Diesel Head

I used to pull my 5 place enclosed snowmobile trailer up every weekend to the high country, regardless of the forecasted weather. Plan on staying the night, with extra fuel, food and water. Bring chains and know how to put them on and/or run dedicated snow tires. Keep your trailer brakes adjusted and working and run good tires on there as well.
Iíve been caught in a couple really good storms that closed roads and thatís what kept us from getting home. Listen to the weather and dot road conditions so you know if you need to stay put and ride it out. In my case we always brought extra fuel for the sleds so when you get stuck for the night, you have the best snow for the next mornings ride!
Jumpinjoe, N of 60 and Jimmy N. like this.

'18 mega drw titanium limited, '10 laramie mega 4x4 3500 auto srw Ďsoldí
Past '04 ram 3500 4x4 drw qc nv5600 'sold', '03 ram 3500 4x4 srw qc short bed twin turbo'd hot rod 'sold', '98 ram 3500 4x4 drw qc nv4500 'sold'
The Following User Says Thank You to robertyoke For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (12-06-2019)
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Trailer brakes first if the road is slick.
Cold temps could freeze water supply lines and holding tanks.
Without hookups at the ski area, 12 volt heating wont last through the night.
hooked55 likes this.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

I have driven a lot in winter weather, I grew up in Idaho and Michigan. I run snow tires on my daily driver both for cold rain/ice and day trips to the mountains for skiing, snowshoeing, etc. I could get snow tires for the truck, I guess, but most of the driving is for towing in the summer so that seems like overkill.

The roads are well plowed but if itís been a long cold snap there can be packed snow on the last 2-4 miles of roadway even if it hasnít snowed in while. In that case the state DOT doesnít require snows or chains. However if snow tires become required for passenger vehicles then towing and any vehicle > 10,000 GVW must have chains and then Iíd be looking at 2 (or 4?) chains on the truck and at least 2 on the trailer (itís dual axle). Iíd buy and bring those to be kosher with the law and safe but would never go up in the mountains if the forecast looked dicey.

2017 3500 Laramie Megacab CTD SRW w/AISIN 4x4 air level suspension Delmonico red. Andersen WDH. 2018 Outdoors RV 23DBS 28í bumper pull TT 6350 dry/9950 wet.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 12:41 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Trailer brakes first if the road is slick.
Cold temps could freeze water supply lines and holding tanks.
Without hookups at the ski area, 12 volt heating wont last through the night.
I would just drive the truck (no trailer), leave early And have fun! If you get a little thaw on top of icy roads compare it to driving on oil or grease and now hook up a trailer behind you, I see bad things happening. Now the trailer, unless itís completely drained or winterized I see broken water line issues and busted holding tanks, if youíre able to keep the trailer and truck out of the ditches. Most ski areas Iíve been to donít cater to trailer type rvís. Parking, narrow roads, vehicles everywhere, piles of snow, etc. Way too many open cans of worms. IMO leave the trailer home and enjoy.

2014 2500 Laramie Crew, short bed. 2014 30í 10k Timber Ridge TT, Nascar Nut.......
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Cummins Nut

Hey 3500newtome, looks like we have the same brand TT. Ours is an Outdoors RV 280RKS Timber Ridge and I would never think of attempting to take it skiing. Iíve driven thousands of miles in snow and black ice in Wyo., Utah, Colo, etc. and the best place for our trailer in those types of conditions is parked. I would only do it if itís an absolute necessity! Again my opinion. Have a great time skiing!

2014 2500 Laramie Crew, short bed. 2014 30í 10k Timber Ridge TT, Nascar Nut.......
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

IMO, If its bad enough to need chains , leave the trailer at home. Chains will get you far enough to where you are really f%$#ed!
hooked55 likes this.

2012 3500 Longhorn, EPA performance package.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostosaurus View Post
IMO, If its bad enough to need chains , leave the trailer at home. Chains will get you far enough to where you are really f%$#ed!

The chains are to get you back out of when you put-er in the ditch.
Or when it snows 4 feet overnight and for some unknown reason you have to leave. My motto is if it snows 4 feet of fresh then you have to call in sick and enjoy the day!
N of 60 likes this.

'18 mega drw titanium limited, '10 laramie mega 4x4 3500 auto srw Ďsoldí
Past '04 ram 3500 4x4 drw qc nv5600 'sold', '03 ram 3500 4x4 srw qc short bed twin turbo'd hot rod 'sold', '98 ram 3500 4x4 drw qc nv4500 'sold'
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 04:13 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3500newtome View Post
I have driven a lot in winter weather, I grew up in Idaho and Michigan. I run snow tires on my daily driver both for cold rain/ice and day trips to the mountains for skiing, snowshoeing, etc. I could get snow tires for the truck, I guess, but most of the driving is for towing in the summer so that seems like overkill.
Some AT tires qualify as snow tires. Look for the 3 peak mountain snow flake rating. General ATR, BFG AT and Goodyear Kevlar are some that I know of and have experience with. They are pretty quiet and do well in snow and light mud. Real gooey mud requires a MT though.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Leonard Pennock AD7AS
2018 Ram 3500DRW 4x4 Aisin, Stock for now
2006 Ram 3500 4x4 6sp -- Sold
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
im a very cautious person when it comes to snow/ice/sleet regardless of what kind of vehicle im driving, if i were in your position and i were questioning the trip/weather i would cancel it. i also have plenty of snow driving experience growing up in the North East

2017 Tradesman 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
Valair Organic DD Quiet
Full Delete Tuned by Anarchy Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode