Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Winter cover or not?

3K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  ofelas.5z 
#1 ·
Ok, looking foe advise on using the front grill cover or not this winter. Temps fun from 30ish to-20 with wind.

#7 ·
It helps keep the ambient temperatures under the hood a little warmer and helps to keep my transmission temperature above 90 F. My fan is pulled every winter.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
#27 ·
I throw mine on when it stays static at 45*F or less. I have an 8 mile drive to work on city streets, I will not even get a tick of operating temperature in her if I don't have the cover on. With the cover on, I get to full operating temperature each drive.

#29 ·
If you're in an area with lots of snow, especially blowing and drifting, keeps the snow out of the engine bay and plugging the air filter with usually ruins an expensive filter. Seen Class 8s completely filled the engine bay with packed snow.

Warms the engine oil up much faster, improves oil flow, less engine wear.

Do what us old timers used to do, cut and use a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator, make if full width 2 piece, then it's just like one of those fancy ones you can adjust.
Low cost and easily replaced. Can even paint it purty colors like red white and blue.

#34 ·
1.) Seeing how a winter front cover and block heater cord are an option i figure most dont have one anyway.

2.) After reading this thread I may start using my cover (if it ever gets cold here).

3.) The new Ram’s have Thermally controlled front grill shutters so I guess a front cover is moot.

#37 ·
1.)3.) The new Ram’s have Thermally controlled front grill shutters so I guess a front cover is moot.
The new (19) Rams come with winter fronts too. I'd show ya's but I still, after spending a fair bit of time on this forum, cannot upload images etc.

The grill shutters are intended to increase the vehicle's aerodynamic efficiency while maintaining optimal engine temps. They don't do much in that regard when the mercury's in the bottom of the thermometer.

#43 ·
I have read that some people don't care to use their winter covers and I didn't either until recently.
Granted my truck was in Texas for the first few years of its life, but with being in Alaska now I have seen that the truck is a lot happier in cold weather when the cover is on. Short trips are even more noticeable.
Engine and transmission temps stay warmer and the cab gets heated quicker too.
Installed when in the thirties. Today in the teens the truck did take a while to warm up but it was still quicker than without the cover.
I'm gonna start plugging in overnight to keep the block warm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.