Any Attorneys On This Board? Accident insurance Question - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Angry Any Attorneys On This Board? Accident insurance Question

So a jerk in a Sierra Denali decided to come over to my lane as I was accelerating onto the freeway on ramp and hit the front side of my truck. The Sheriff deputy gave him a ticket for unsafe lane change and I got off with no issues.

Here's the problem: The guy is not responding to his insurance carrier's phone calls or letters to get "his side of the story". My insurance company tells me that if he doesn't respond within 30 days the claim will be denied by his insurance company and I will have to file for uninsured motorist coverage with MY insurance company to get the repairs fixed. This is per most insurance companies policies that if a person is non responsive, then the claim is automatically denied.

So how do I get him to respond or is it possible to sue the guy for the damage and injuries? I'm a bit pissed off at how this scumbag is getting around the system and not owning up to his mistakes. Worst part was that this bro had his wife and 3 kids in the car when he swerved over and hit me.

What are my options and are there any attorneys that would be willing to sue this guy?

Black Out 2015 2500 4x4 Laramie: STOCK with Lund Terrain HX Steps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:11 AM
Cummins Fanatic

On a property damage only crash, I doubt there would be any attorney willing to take the case since there isn't enough money to make it worthwhile.. There has to be injuries in the crash before attorneys get interested.
Your collision coverage and uninsured motorist coverage will cover your damage. Your insurance company will continue to attempt to receive compensation for it's losses from the other drivers insurance company.
Any attempt by you to contact the other driver will probably be met with hostility.
I wouldn't wait 30 days, get your damaged truck fixed now through a claim with your insurance..less your deductible. In some cases, insurance might waive the deductible.
Nope, I'm not an attorney but I have investigated hundreds of crashes.
IH8CALI likes this.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:12 AM
Diesel Head

Use your own Insurance Company. Go through them.

Every State is different so don't rely on anything you learn in here. I'm in Florida which might be totally different than your State but if it was here, I'd turn it in to my own Company and let them worry about it. It's why you pay them.

In fact, I'm going through it right now.

In my State, UM (uninsured motorist) only covers Bodily Injury. Period.

Your 'collision' coverage should apply here.

But, again, every State is different.

Call your Claims Department.

Now

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:21 AM
railer and bailer

Thanked 1,045 Times in 846 Posts
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
your ins will cover it. just let them chase the other driver. i went through this a year or so ago.
a guy side swiped me, and didn't have any ins. my ins covered it, then went after the other
driver. ended up getting a $700 check, on top of my repairs.

jason

closet poster

'19 2500
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,282 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Similar thing happened to me. Rear ended in my ‘17. Other company said they wouldn’t process claim until they had proof other party was involved. Other party was not answering calls.

So I emailed their insurance company a picture of their policy holders (driver who hit me) drivers license, a photo of their insurance card, a photo of the driver standing next their vehicle crying, etc.

Needless to say it was processed that day and the case was closed. How could they argue against facts!

'18 6.7 S472-5 Blade 2018 Build
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,631 Posts
Yeah, just turn it over to your insurance and let them handle it.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:38 PM
Diesel Head

What nickooless said sounds very plausible. What the OP said, does not.
Of course the insurance company who's being asked to pay out money will require proof that their client was, first, involved and second, at fault. You appear to have that proof, as the police report will show the other party receiving a citation.

Think about it. If you are at fault and just don't answer your phone for a month, you're off the hook with you insurance company? Nope.

Now if it was more subjective or ambiguous. Guy hits you in a parking lot, cops say not getting involved and its your word against theirs, then you have an uphill battle that I wouldn't trust only your ins co to handle for you.
Back in the day people usta not wait for someone else to stick up for them. Now, most think that everything is automated and because the cop wrote the other guy a ticket, the autobody fairies are going to sneak into your garage at night, fix your truck and you'll have to do nothing but sleep peacefully.
If I got hit, my first call would be to that person's insurance company to report that their client was involved in an at fault accident and that I was the other party. Next call would be an email forwarding them the police report. 3rd call would be When can I meet YOUR adjuster and pay up!

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:24 PM
Diesel Freak

I think the OP concern with using HIS insurance, is his rates may go up. As it's a claim on his, not the other guys.

I wonder if this would affect your rates, as you have proof that it was the other guys fault.

But, as others have said, I'd just move through your insurance and get it fixed.

Out of curiosity, what insurances are involved?

Also, everyone should have a dash camera. I call my insurance about every year to see if they offer a discount for a dash cam. ( like, if you have an alarm they give a small discount).

Would you say if you had a camera, it would have helped? Obviously, every accident is different, maybe a front mounted camera wouldn't have caught anything. I'm just wondering if in your case if you think it would have helped.

2014 RAM HD. Cummins 6.7 364.5SXE Turbo. EZLynk Tuned. Straight piped. Air-Ride.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:42 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyTwo View Post
I think the OP concern with using HIS insurance, is his rates may go up. As it's a claim on his, not the other guys.

I wonder if this would affect your rates, as you have proof that it was the other guys fault.

But, as others have said, I'd just move through your insurance and get it fixed.

Also, everyone should have a dash camera. I call my insurance about every year to see if they offer a discount for a dash cam. ( like, if you have an alarm they give a small discount).

Would you say if you had a camera, it would have helped? Obviously, every accident is different, maybe a front mounted camera wouldn't have caught anything. I'm just wondering if in your case if you think it would have helped.

Besides a dash cam, take as many photos as you can with your phone camera. Take pics from every angle including photos of the drivers, occupants, passengers, cars, plates, drivers licenses and insurance cards. Police won't take any photos on a PDO crash. Some departments won't even respond to take a report on a PDO crash....especially if it is on private property.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyTwo View Post

I have Progressive and the other guy had Geico. I should have known something was wrong when he wouldn't give me his insurance card but thankfully, the wife e-mailed it to me. The police report is not ready yet but I plan to upload that to the Geico claims site.

Maybe an insurance agent can chime in on what Progressive told me that if this guy doesn't respond to Geico, the claim will be denied by Geico and I'll have to collect from Progressive instead.

Black Out 2015 2500 4x4 Laramie: STOCK with Lund Terrain HX Steps
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
I have Progressive and the other guy had Geico. I should have known something was wrong when he wouldn't give me his insurance card but thankfully, the wife e-mailed it to me. The police report is not ready yet but I plan to upload that to the Geico claims site.

Maybe an insurance agent can chime in on what Progressive told me that if this guy doesn't respond to Geico, the claim will be denied by Geico and I'll have to collect from Progressive instead.
Just deal with Progressive, you are their customer and you pay them premiums to make you whole after a crash. It really doesn't matter if Geico can't get their customer to cooperate, Geico will settle with Progressive for the damages Progressive paid to you.
I suspect Geico will cancel the policy of their insured. I would also assume Geico won't discuss this matter with you since you are not their customer. Only speak to Progressive claims..never make a statement to the other insurance company.
As far as your premiums going up, I cant answer that. Depends on your policy and claims you made in the past. Ask Progressive if your premium will be increasing.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Diesel Head

Sounds fishy to me. So if he does not respond his insurance company is off the hook. I would hope the police took down his insurance information. But your insurance company has lawyers to deal with all that. They can cover it and sue the at fault drives insurance company or at fault driver to recover their loss. They usually do, that have piles of lawyers to handle just these cases.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode