Cummins Diesel Forum banner

How long do you keep your truck?

4K views 34 replies 34 participants last post by  Grit dog 
#1 ·
Does everyone have a set mileage/time they keep their truck before trading up? Is it another indication it's time to move on?

While I was contemplating life, I realized my vehicles usually make it 2 years and 45-50k miles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
This truck replaced my ‘02 1500 that had 114k kms on it and we only got this one because we got a travel trailer. Otherwise I would have kept it awhile longer. The wife has a 2010 VW Tiguan that’s about to roll over 75k kms. We plan on keeping them awhile unless they start to need a lot of maintenance that either ends up being very expensive or I can’t do myself.

#3 ·
I owned a 98' dodge 2500 with 185k miles and still going strong up until early this year. Only reason for trading up was due to the manual option not offered in the newer rams anymore.

#4 ·
It seems that I replace my vehicles every 4-5 years usually coinciding with some life change. This time it was a hair over 3yrs.

#5 ·
While there is no specific answer to your question, I like keeping vehicles for a while. 10 years or better if the vehicle will allow it. As long as the vehicle in question is reliable and not needing one repair after another, keep it. I dislike payments. Having a paid for vehicle is like a sore you know what, hard to beat.

While everyone will have their own preference, I like having no payments. Those who trade a vehicle with a loan on it, and roll the old loan into a new loan IMO will make it hard to get ahead.

I really dislike dealers advertising "Buy from us, and we'll lower your payment." What they are not saying up front is the amount of months one will be tied to that payment.

Dealerships want to keep you in the payment plan for ever.

#6 ·
Bought my 2005 in Nov/2004 - over 200k later, it's still running perfect and no intention of getting rid of it.
Bought my 2014 in Nov/2013 - over 130k later, it's still running perfect and no intention of getting rid of it.

Really didn't need the 2014, but wanted something new. Wanted 3500 and 4x4 just to cover all my bases. Its handled everything I've thrown at it by a wide margin. No need for anything new at this time. And it's wicked nice not having any payments....:wink2:

#8 ·
Truck longevity

I typically keep them 5-6 years and only traded my 04 3500 due to rust from the North East winters which could have been prevented had I treated the undercarriage and body properly to protect from rust early on. I haven't driven my 14' when the roads are salted so hoping to get 10 years plus on this one (I don't put too many miles on, currently 45k) given that replacing my current 2014 would be about $10k more now than what I paid for it in 2014 and I would rather not have a payment.

#9 ·
Every time I think "This one will do it for a while", my needs and wants change somewhat quickly.
The current want is a regular cab C&C with the 204-inch wheel base. That's a 120-inch CA, compared to the normal 60.

#10 ·
New vehicles are great, would like to get a new truck every year, but not ever going to be in the financial cards for me.

Current truck has 490K on it and will be 5 years old in February, will be paid for then, no plans on trading for 5 more years of payments, so long as it keeps running okay. Besides, with the miles it has on it, it isn't worth much for trade in.

#11 ·
Right now I have 2 trucks (details on both coming) - downsized/eliminated the suv some years ago. In general, I care about getting a specific job done, reliability, and cost of ownership. Push the years you own a reliable vehicle beyond 10 and the depreciation per mile is nearly nil. Oh, I'm shocked at how many low mileage trucks are out there.

So, I have 1998.5 2500 cummins, standard transmission, some mild power upgrades done 200,000 miles ago, with 335,000+ miles on the truck today, for my DD. Reliability has and continues to be ridiculously good. I totally trust it - driving it on my present 2 week trip. I'll likely sell it early next year and replace it with a little fuel efficient gasoline suv. Why? because I have a 3500 that does everything I need a truck to do, and around here - everywhere I drive except far northwestern Canada - the price of diesel is well above gasoline. I can cut my DD fuel costs nearly or more than in half with a small gas vehicle.

I have a 2015 cummins, aisin, 3500 CC, LB, mostly used to haul my slide-in camper on long summer trips, but the rest of the year the camper is unloaded and the truck is available for whatever I need. It has 70,000 miles on it, yet only 31 hours idling - it's not downtown friendly. I should note, it had 40,000 miles on it before I felt it was fully broken it - power and fuel economy continued to improve to 40K. I'll replace it this spring. Why? Several reasons: My concern that the smaller fuel tank and lower MPG compared to my 2500 would give me problems were fully realized this summer - I want that 50 gallon tank. I also want to do some suspension upgrades, but they are optional and I see no point adding them to a truck still less than optimal for my long-term use. Lastly, the all around camera system, remote trailer rear view camera, and some other options are highly desirable upgrades.

YMMV of course, but for me - I'd rather have money in the bank than keep working in-order to own the latest technological wizardry that seldom does anything I can't do with a few seconds extra effort. These views have been life-long - well implemented through appropriate 'higher level' education, and enabled me to retire comfortably at 57 - now, well past 15 years ago. In summary, for me, the greatest consideration in replacing anything is cost of ownership, doing the job I need done as opposed to 'nice to have', and reliability. These trucks, with reasonable maintenance, easily and reliably go over 500,000 miles. That's what it is made for and what I bought and paid for - why not get my money's worth from it - and what money I thereby save I use to fulfill other desires.

#12 ·
I'll have this truck until about 150k-200k miles. Is my plan. Last truck ran fine, but i wanted something newer and tend to trade in around or before 200k miles. at that point, they've done their bit for king and country in my book. That also equates to about 5 years of my current driving.

#13 ·
I keep them till fixing them is no longer reasonable. We have a 1996 landcruiser with 250K still going and part of the family. Our 2001 Sequoia started to give out in 250K miles in 2016 when I replaced it with my RAM. Everything in the truck was falling apart, and replaced the water pump and everything under the hood not made of medal was brittle and crumbling. Its not like there is maintenance for all the plastic stuff. This has come up before and I have said I hope this is my last vehicle purchase and bought the cummins for longevity to get me those 20+ years and people laugh. Which confuses me still, many people are driving cars over 20 years old, I have one 24. I actually also have a 1962 FJ40 but that was not bought new to me. Odd people think you cannot drive a vehicle for a real l long time.

#15 ·
21+ years was my last Cummins. 12yrs for a car.

#16 ·
I usually have two or three vehicles at any one time for various reasons. Generally i keep any particular vehicle as long as it still runs good and stays relevant to my needs. Some have managed over 10yrs, some have gone away within a few months.
I got rid of my 11 2500 Hemi for the 16 Cummins because my towing needs increased.
When i got my car MY13, the previous was almost 10 years old. I currently have no plans to get rid of it because it still runs amazing, and outside of regular maintenance items (oil, filters, tires, etc) i have spent a whopping $340 on repairs in 7 years and 70k miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimmy N.
#18 ·
I sold my 04 with 385,000 on it because my left knee couldn’t take another winter of snow plowing with the NV5600. My 15 has 140,000 on it. My wife’s 04 Grand Cherokee has 150,000 and her 06 GTO has almost 90,000. I’m not afraid of miles or years when maintenance has been good. I am afraid of rust.
Buying for a tax write off is poor economics. Especially every 2-3 years on 5 year property. I’m not about to spend $50,000 + in order to avoid $20,000 in taxes. On the other hand, buying simply because you want a new vehicle is a personal decision that doesn’t need monetary justification.

#24 ·
...I’m not afraid of miles or years when maintenance has been good. I am afraid of rust..

Same with me. The wife’s ‘12 Suburban has 148k and the ‘97 Cherokee my 16 year old drives is over 225k. I typically keep my wife’s dd 5-7 years, but I never buy knew. I hate payments and won’t have more than one (if any) at a time. Since I just bought my ‘13 2500 Ram (1st diesel ever) she’ll be driving the ‘burb a few more years as long as it still runs good. The reason we sold her’06 Silverado with 150k was due to rust. It still runs great (her dad bought it) but the body needs some attention.

#20 ·
I’ve never owned one before. But I keep my passenger vehicles 12-16 years and 225k+ miles.

So far my 2017 has 2.5 years and 16,500 miles. I hope to keep it 15 years, when it should still have under 100k miles. I don’t know if it’s realistic for a FIAT DCA vehicle but that’s what I’m hoping. I only use the truck to tow a travel trailer, purely for recreation, so I’m not wanting to spend $50k+ every 5-10 years for a toy.

#21 ·
When I had Chevy trucks every 4 to 5 years. My Dodge is 16 years old, and will stomp the everlivin crap outta anything new, so I will be keeping it. lol

#22 ·
i've kept every vehicle until i got rid of it.

but honestly, i'll be keeping this one until it dies or a life change occurs that allows me to comfortably without change in lifestyle purchase a new truck

#23 ·
I collect 2nd gens and probably put enough money into each one to buy a new truck, just love them. My 16 will roll 100k this week and it’s been a great truck. I could buy a new truck every year payment free if I wanted but that’d be stupid. Even with 100k my 16 is nearly mint inside and out I’ll keep it until it starts needing major work. Taking care of vehicles will almost always get you the most out of them wether it be on resale or time of ownership

#25 ·
8-10 years for me. Or the maintenance starts to be a pain in the rear. As long as its reliable I'll keep driving it.

I do not do car loans just pay for it upfront. I might have to get one of those 2020 corvettes though. They look nice, but I might wait a year or two for them to get the bugs out.

#26 ·
There is no time frame for me when it comes to vehicles. If they dont need constant repairing then I'm happy to hold on to them until I have zero reason to keep it or dont want it. I have many vehicles too so that doesnt always apply...
I've entertained the idea of a new truck many times but cant get past the insane sticker shock. I prefer to have the pink on all my vehicles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.