P0101 Problems - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
P0101 Problems

So P0101 popped up a couple months ago and I replace both sensors and the engine light came back on. I'm seeing if someone knows more about electrical than i do.

on the sensor MAF 1to3 reads 1.303 M Ohms and 4.6 V Brown& Yellow to Black I'm assuming this is the signal wire.

2 to 3 Reads 183.8 K ohms and 11.3 V Pink to black. So if i understand this correctly is the sensor was good the ohms should read 0 which means the sensor is bad?

If this is the case could the wires be shorting out somewhere in the harness which would have shorted out the second senor.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid88 View Post
So P0101 popped up a couple months ago and I replace both sensors and the engine light came back on. I'm seeing if someone knows more about electrical than i do.

on the sensor MAF 1to3 reads 1.303 M Ohms and 4.6 V Brown& Yellow to Black I'm assuming this is the signal wire.

2 to 3 Reads 183.8 K ohms and 11.3 V Pink to black. So if i understand this correctly is the sensor was good the ohms should read 0 which means the sensor is bad?

If this is the case could the wires be shorting out somewhere in the harness which would have shorted out the second senor.

Thanks in advance.
You replaced "both" sensors???

Which sensors did you replace?

P0101 is for the MAF sensor, and there's only one of those.
URDiesel likes this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

I replaced both sensors in n the intake the MAP. I guess that didn’t make sense. My bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,630 Posts
Truck tuned?

Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor?

Possibly a bad connector or harness issue.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Truck tuned?

Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor?

Possibly a bad connector or harness issue.

Yes it’s tuned I cleaned the first sensor that didn’t work bought a new one and it lasted a week or 2 I’m starting to think it’s in the connector or harness. Just wanted to check with some other people before I let dodge charge me to go through the harness. I’m reading all the proper volts and through the connector so not sure. I may try to re email the tuner to make sure it’s not a tune issue
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I will say that the majority of the demons that I have chased have been related to two things...Tuner, and BCM module. I had my BCM module reflashed, and all of my check engine lights went away.

2013 3500 Mega Cab Laramie Longhorn - 6.7 - Aisin - 3.42 - Factory Hitch - B&W Companion - Air lift 5000 - Grand Design Solitude 369RL
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris t View Post
I will say that the majority of the demons that I have chased have been related to two things...Tuner, and BCM module. I had my BCM module reflashed, and all of my check engine lights went away.
Good to know. I appreciate the info.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Diesel Head

Don't test between circuits. This is for a 2014. You don't have any veh. info.

Theory of Operation
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor is a frequency based device. A constant voltage is applied to a heated wire. This wire is positioned in the air stream and is heated by the electrical current that the voltage produces. As air flows across it, it cools down. The heated wire or film is a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) resistor, which means that the resistance of it drops when the temperature drops. The drop in resistance allows more current to flow through it in order to maintain the programmed temperature. The current flow is changed to a frequency, which is sent to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and interpreted as air flow. Adjustments for air temperature and humidity are taken into consideration, since they also affect the temperature of the heated wire or film. The engine running monitor compares an estimated fresh air flow value to the Mass Air Flow Sensor reading. The PCM will light the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) immediately after this diagnostic runs and fails. The PCM will turn off the MIL when the diagnostic runs and passes in four consecutive drive cycles.

When Monitored: Ignition on.
Set Condition: With the engine running and EGR flow equal to zero, the Mass Air Flow sensor value does not equal the charge air flow estimate.

Possible Causes
TURBOCHARGER, EGR OR INTAKE AIR SYSTEM RELATED DTCS
MAF SENSOR
AIR FILTER
AIR INTAKE LEAK
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

Diagnostic Test

1.ACTIVE DTC

NOTE: If there are any other EGR, Turbocharger, or Intake system DTCs present, repair those DTCs before proceeding.
1. Turn the ignition on.
2. With the scan tool, record all Freeze frame data.
3. With the scan tool, erase DTCs.
4. Turn the ignition off for 75 seconds.
5. Start the engine attempt to duplicate the conditions that set the DTC.
6. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Did the DTC reset?

Yes
Go To 2

No
Perform the INTERMITTENT CONDITION diagnostic procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

2.CHECK THE MAF SENSOR

1. Start the engine. Warm the engine up to operating temperature and then let it idle for five minutes.

NOTE: This is how long it takes for the EGR Valve to close.
2. With the scan tool in Data Display, verify that the EGR Valve is at 0%.
3. With the scan tool, read the MAF Sensor value.

Does the Mass Air Flow Sensor read from 3.0 - 6.75 lb/min for an auto transmission, or 3.5 - 7.5 lb/min for a manual transmission?

Yes
Go To 3

No
Replace the Mass Air Flow Sensor in accordance with the service information.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST - 6.7L. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

3.CHECK THE AIR FILTER

1. Remove lid from air filter box.
2. Remove air filter and inspect for excessive debris or filter media damage.
3. Make sure the filter was installed properly.

Was the air filter damaged or full of debris?

Yes
Replace the Air Filter.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST - 6.7L. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No
Go To 4

4.CHECK THE MAF SENSOR

1. Turn the Ignition off.
2. Remove MAF sensor from the air filter box.

Is it free from debris?

Yes
Go To 5

No
Clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor using low pressure air and reinstall, repair complete.

5.CHECK FOR AN AIR LEAK IN THE INTAKE SYSTEM

1. Perform the INTAKE AIR SYSTEM PRESSURE TEST procedure. (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Diesel - Diagnosis and Testing).
2. Any leak between the air box to the intake manifold could cause this fault.

Were there any Intake Air System leaks?

Yes
Repair the leak in the Intake Air System.

No
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Get.png
Views:	6
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	859865  

2016 Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7L CUMMINS
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

I replaced the air filter, I took the whole intake off and put it back together, so I don’t pretty certain no leaks. I’ll just have to take it to the dealer and let them look. It’s deleted, G56 randomly light came on one day and replaced the sensor didn’t come on for a a couple weeks now it comes back on after drive 20-30 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URDiesel View Post
Don't test between circuits. This is for a 2014. You don't have any veh. info.

Theory of Operation
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor is a frequency based device. A constant voltage is applied to a heated wire. This wire is positioned in the air stream and is heated by the electrical current that the voltage produces. As air flows across it, it cools down. The heated wire or film is a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) resistor, which means that the resistance of it drops when the temperature drops. The drop in resistance allows more current to flow through it in order to maintain the programmed temperature. The current flow is changed to a frequency, which is sent to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and interpreted as air flow. Adjustments for air temperature and humidity are taken into consideration, since they also affect the temperature of the heated wire or film. The engine running monitor compares an estimated fresh air flow value to the Mass Air Flow Sensor reading. The PCM will light the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) immediately after this diagnostic runs and fails. The PCM will turn off the MIL when the diagnostic runs and passes in four consecutive drive cycles.

When Monitored: Ignition on.
Set Condition: With the engine running and EGR flow equal to zero, the Mass Air Flow sensor value does not equal the charge air flow estimate.

Possible Causes
TURBOCHARGER, EGR OR INTAKE AIR SYSTEM RELATED DTCS
MAF SENSOR
AIR FILTER
AIR INTAKE LEAK
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

Diagnostic Test

1.ACTIVE DTC

NOTE: If there are any other EGR, Turbocharger, or Intake system DTCs present, repair those DTCs before proceeding.
1. Turn the ignition on.
2. With the scan tool, record all Freeze frame data.
3. With the scan tool, erase DTCs.
4. Turn the ignition off for 75 seconds.
5. Start the engine attempt to duplicate the conditions that set the DTC.
6. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Did the DTC reset?

Yes
Go To 2

No
Perform the INTERMITTENT CONDITION diagnostic procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

2.CHECK THE MAF SENSOR

1. Start the engine. Warm the engine up to operating temperature and then let it idle for five minutes.

NOTE: This is how long it takes for the EGR Valve to close.
2. With the scan tool in Data Display, verify that the EGR Valve is at 0%.
3. With the scan tool, read the MAF Sensor value.

Does the Mass Air Flow Sensor read from 3.0 - 6.75 lb/min for an auto transmission, or 3.5 - 7.5 lb/min for a manual transmission?

Yes
Go To 3

No

3.CHECK THE AIR FILTER

1. Remove lid from air filter box.
2. Remove air filter and inspect for excessive debris or filter media damage.
3. Make sure the filter was installed properly.

Was the air filter damaged or full of debris?

Yes
Replace the Air Filter.

No
Go To 4

4.CHECK THE MAF SENSOR

1. Turn the Ignition off.
2. Remove MAF sensor from the air filter box.

Is it free from debris?

Yes
Go To 5

No
Clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor using low pressure air and reinstall, repair complete.

5.CHECK FOR AN AIR LEAK IN THE INTAKE SYSTEM

1. Perform the INTAKE AIR SYSTEM PRESSURE TEST procedure. (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Diesel - Diagnosis and Testing).
2. Any leak between the air box to the intake manifold could cause this fault.

Were there any Intake Air System leaks?

Yes
Repair the leak in the Intake Air System.

No
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Diesel Head

Most issues are air leaks behind the MAF.

2016 Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7L CUMMINS
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Sounds good. I’ll go through it one more time and make sure. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Maybe a dumb question, but on my ez-lynk if the sensor was messed up wouldn’t the mass air flow reading not work? Or is that pulling it from somewhere else?

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode