I need input & help on life - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I need input & help on life

im Wanting a 13-18 Cummins dont care if it’s a tradesman or top notch package. I clear 600 a week. What kind of truck should I be looking for? My house was gave to me by my family so no house payment. Please help me and thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 11:28 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Your stretching your income out over a truck? If you have no mortgage then you should be paying cash. If you don’t have 50% of the payment then you shouldn’t be buying a truck because you will not be able to afford any major repairs at $600 a week. I would suggest a better paying job if you don’t have anything to put down or want a $40,000+ truck.
Dude_57, ncolz, 1968rt and 1 others like this.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
The Following User Says Thank You to N of 60 For This Useful Post:
Dude_57 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 11:32 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Thatís a little brutal but good advice none-the-less.

Unless you need it for your work Iíd suggest buying a beater and saving until you have a better income flow or you have enough to pay cash.

That said, your life, your choices. Good luck!
N of 60 and Jimmy N. like this.

19 2500 Longhorn Mega 4x4

11 SRT8 Challenger M6 - Corsa; 295 Nittos

Previous: 16-3500, 11-2500, 01-2500, 08-2500, 03-2500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 11:36 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,672 Posts
Do you need the truck to get a better paying job? A job using the truck to haul something besides yourself?

Otherwise, you sure don't need to buy one of these trucks in your current financial situation.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
Old 11-02-2019, 11:39 PM
Mike @ Dude's Diesel Performance

Wants vs needs here. There are ALOT of factors. If you are not needing a truck ASAP Here’s my .02-

If you are able to make a payment comfortably then go ahead and start saving the payment you would make monthly to make sure that you don’t get stretched thin with other expenses. After 3-6+ months you should have an idea of your adjusted lifestyle. You can use these saved payment toward down payment or to pay for taxes or TT+L

Truck payments suck- the best vehicle is one that is paid for. Realistically think about how long you’d want to pay on it. Again payments get old and life changes happen so think about if you get a truck with 5 years of payments where will you be five years and what will the truck be like (mileage etc)

With all the responsible stuff out of the way are you happy with stock vehicles or enjoy modifying? Even if you don’t modify can you turn a wrench or willing to or rather have it taken to a shop?

2013 Ram 2500
John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
[email protected]
Old 11-02-2019, 11:44 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
That’s a little brutal but good advice none-the-less
Brutal is promoting a young man into debt. The truth hurts, world is full of bleeding hearts, reality is reality.
If no mortgage and no mentions of a down payment with a request to help him in life, I spoke the truth that would most benefit him.
With Respect Dillonjm, wishing you luck slowgo.
N of 60

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:56 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Agreed. Buy something you can pay cash for. Cummins are not cheap to buy or maintain, particularly the newer ones.

You'd be better off with a gasser most likely. There's a big difference in "want" and "need". A lot of folks here use their diesels hard, every day. A lot of folks here really don't "need" a diesel, but they want one.

I fall squarely into that category. When I do tow, it's a long way, usually with a medium load. I enjoy the torque of the diesel versus a gasser.

So what do you need? The 3rd generation is a good truck as well, and more in a price range that's affordable.

The general rule of thumb is that you don't want your Debt to Income ratio to ever exceed 30%, and generally that rule is used for purchasing a home... which hopefully is an asset that increases in value; or at least doesn't lose value.

If your home is paid for (quite nice of the family, take care of them), then I would suggest not spending more than 25% of your income on a vehicle payment, if you can't pay cash.

That would work out to $600/mo. You can get a nice truck for $600/month.

There are two schools of thought with financing a vehicle; or purchasing a home. There is no correct answer:

1) Newer truck with warranty; warranty covers most of what could happen, combined with gap insurance, to ensure that you've got a couple years of relatively trouble free use out of the truck.

2) Pay cash, and then you have the ability to afford repairs on something older.

A third factor for me would be a couple things: Age; ability to increase your income at work, and other people depending on you.

If you're young and starting out, then I would probably be more inclined to get a newer truck. It would help you establish good credit, and it would give you higher trade in value in the future.

Especially if your income is going to continue to rise in the next few years.

With buying an older vehicle, financially it can be a better situation, to pay cash and not have payments. But... a lot of the savings that come with owning an older vehicle come with a few things:
1) being able to do some repairs yourself
2) being able to have the vehicle in repair mode and be without, or with different transportation,
3) being disciplined enough to save quite a bit towards repairs.

I still have my 2001 Ram, but you do not want to see the file folder on repairs. It's got 370k miles, and I paid cash. It was still cheaper than a new vehicle, and it certainly owes me nothing, but it's not been cheap to keep.

The 2017 has been much more trouble free, but it's also much newer. And it has a payment to go with it.

Basically, no matter which route you decide is best for you is quite personal. There's no right or wrong. If you have more questions, I'm happy to help.
Wowegner likes this.

17 2500 CCSB Longhorn, Steel/Saddle,Calibrated Power tune, 68rfe tuned
01 2500, QCSB 4x4, Fass, 3rd gen brakes, 4th gen steering, Revmax fully built, Blue Chip VP44, Edge Comp
Old 11-02-2019, 11:57 PM
Diesel Head

I dont know what slowgo has for a true story.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4...l#post29090713

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...nancial-s.html

Old 11-03-2019, 12:58 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N of 60 View Post
Maybe he's just a 12 year old kid and is just playing troll...
Cummins2014 likes this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
Old 11-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Diesel Head

I'd say exactly what 17Ram2500 said.
Before counting slogo as a troll, consider that there are ALOT of people that don't have the experience, parenting, training or a place to start learning about finances.
Consider this an opportunity to help the fella out with constructive advice. Given the overall nature of his post, he seems like a genuine person without alot of education.
Also consider $600 after taxes is GOOD money in some parts of the country, provided that's a running average and not a best of 2019 paycheck.

Although, unless the big truck is needed to earn that paycheck or absolutely needed for recreational purposes that one can afford to do, then it is not a good idea. Buying it for a status symbol to roll down main in a 1 horse town might get you some p_ssy and it might also get you 2 more dependents on your tax return by next year!
I can apply a $40k a year salary to a geographical area that is depressed that I'm intimately familiar with and I can tell you the average income is not that high, and while you could support a, say, $600 payment, it's not the right choice IMO. $600 payment (if you're lucky), another $100-300/mo insurance full coverage driving record dependent. Say 1 tank a week = $300-400 in fuel. Now you've used up 2 checks.
Property tax, utilities, upkeep, etc on the "free" house. Another paycheck or close to it. Cell phone and food, nother $100 a week. Yeah it's doable, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it. My greatest car payment to net income ratio was about half of a week take home = truck payment(me and the wife's income and 1 vehicle, I had a company truck). We could have extended ourselves further and many do. 25 years later, now, we could go buy as many new trucks, today, cash, as we could fit in the garage AND shop and not have it be a huge financial burden. I know many people in the same class, same business, same incomes, same age, same kids, same same same and they currently have far less retirement saved up, less equity, less toys and generally far less financial stability.
These same people had 2 new cars, brand new with brnad new payments, bigger house, etc. Didn't take too many years and it was "hey, we sold our boat, damn payments were killing us, can we go out on your boat" type conversations to start happening.
We are somewhere between hard working, fortunate and smart, IMO. Slogo, sounds like you have a jump on life in the fortunate department and appears you are on the right track in the hard-working department. Just make sure you're smart with your money. Doesn't mean you can't have any luxuries and have to eat beans, but you already got a RZR with a payment. Don't drown in payments.
The point of this is not to brag, but to stress to slogo that this seems like an extravagant, unnecessary expense based on what info we have presented.
There is also a certain sense of pride and comfort knowing you are not only financially secure, but emotionally secure enough to not "have" to have the newest rig on the block. I might buy a new $60k Mega cab to replace that 07 tomorrow or I might drive it 10 more years. It looks and sounds good and it's nice knowing I could get a new one if I wanted to.

To answer the actual truck question, if you must have a newer Cummins, I'd go '14-15. Better bang for the buck than a nearly new one and not the first year of the new emissions.
sierra nevada likes this.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Diesel Head

I have no problem making my payment. I hate it. I’d rather have the money for other things. I want a new truck, but I don’t want the payments. Payments are something I wish on my mortal enemies. Oh well. If I didn’t have to have a payment I wouldn’t.
Dude_57, N of 60, daltana and 1 others like this.

--2015 2500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, G56, Maximum Steel
- To Do List, 6" suspension,37" tires,4.56 Gears
--2006 2500 4x4 4 door long bed auto, 8" BDS, 37s
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9Kodi For This Useful Post:
17Ram2500 (11-10-2019), Dude_57 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:14 PM
Diesel Head

Thumbs up

My 2 cents. Figure what you want and need. Can you really afford a Cummins truck and afford the maintenance?

I bought a slightly used 2010 Laramie 3500 dually, 46000 miles. Did I need a truck this big, no. Am i able to afford the truck and maintenance along with household bills, yes. Do I tow heavy, not until I retire.

I am 57 and the wife and plan to travel when we retire so I bought this truck. I wanted it and I can afford it so I bought it, have payments.

Plan your budget and decide on your own. These trucks are expensive to buy, maintain and customize.

Your call. Enjoy. I love that I bought my 2010 after owning a 1995 and 2001 Cummins.

2010 Dodge 3500 Larmie dually 4WD Crew cab loaded 50,000 miles. Deleted.
1978 Dodge Ramcharger factory D code truck. D 60F and D70. 440 w/727. 203/205 doubler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in