Intermittent heater function - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent heater function

I have a 2014 CCLB. Stock truck engine and emissions wise. Within the last couple months when I leave the house in the morning even well after the truck comes up to temp, the heater blows cold or slightly warm air. If I turn the truck off and let it sit briefly and then get rolling again the heater will blow hot air. My morning routine is to take my kid to school which is about a 10 mile drive possibly longer and thereís plenty of traffic so the truck is well up to temp, heater doesnít work. I get to his school, walk him in and 5-15min later when I jump in the truck again it blows hot air.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,622 Posts
Auto climate or manual?

Sounds like the blend doors that direct the airflow are not operating correctly.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Itís a Big horn so manual climate as far as I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:53 PM
Diesel Head

When it doesn't blow hot, does it blow at all?

Have you tried switching the vent control knob to blow the air out from some other vent location?

CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
When it doesn't blow hot, does it blow at all?

Have you tried switching the vent control knob to blow the air out from some other vent location?
The motor is working fine and blows air like normal from any vent thatís selected. The air is just cold.

The heater core isnít leaking, the coolant isnít low either.

Iím thinking possibly a clog in the core, air maybe? Not sure how either of those could be the culprit though if it works sometimes and not others and itís normally always the same. Doesnít blow hot air until after the truck has been turned off for a little bit and then started back up.

A couple weeks I towed my travel trailer 1600 miles over 3 days and the heater wouldnít get hot until after our first stop each day.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demaxx View Post
The motor is working fine and blows air like normal from any vent thatís selected. The air is just cold.

The heater core isnít leaking, the coolant isnít low either.

Iím thinking possibly a clog in the core, air maybe? Not sure how either of those could be the culprit though if it works sometimes and not others and itís normally always the same. Doesnít blow hot air until after the truck has been turned off for a little bit and then started back up.

A couple weeks I towed my travel trailer 1600 miles over 3 days and the heater wouldnít get hot until after our first stop each day.
Well, this is why I am thinking it is the blend doors not directing the airflow properly, they have the air bypassing the heater core. Then for some reason after you drive a while and stop, they start working.

Possibly the HVAC control unit has an issue.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

So I just had all my recalls done and there was a reflash completed as part of one of them. The heater still has the same issue but now there is a passenger side temperature slider on my screen which has never been there before and pretty sure my truck doesnít have dual climate since itís a big horn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBDB029D-2680-4753-B989-302488B4FB21.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	860055  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

So looking into the blend door being the issue, wouldnít it no go to full cold or at least not come off of full cold when I go from col to hot?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:37 AM
Cummins Nut

Did you have your water pump replaced? I am thinking it is heater core. I replaced mine this year because I had no warm air last year if it was really cold and it is a world of difference.

2013 3500 w/Aisin : BMF FITE 20x9 5" backspace 0 offset : Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/65/20 : Tinted Windows : Thuren 2.75" springs : Carli Add-A-Pack Springs : Bilstein 5100 : Carli Trackbar : EMF Balljoints
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:49 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonck View Post
Did you have your water pump replaced? I am thinking it is heater core. I replaced mine this year because I had no warm air last year if it was really cold and it is a world of difference.
Does Ram run Coolant through the Heater Core all the time or just on demand?

If it's an 'on demand' type of heater core, I'd start looking for that.

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Diesel Head

There is often a 'heater control valve' located on one of the hoses under the hood that allows hot coolant to flow to the heater core.

Also, it could be something as simple as a thermostat acting up. They often fail in full open position; and letting the engine sit and 'heat-soak' for a few minutes might cause it to start to function properly.

Good luck

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Diesel Head

My '14 Big Horn does the same basic thing, except that shutting it off doesn't make a difference. It's not a diesel, but that really shouldn't matter here.
If it wasn't for the heated seats and steering wheel, it wouldn't be driveable in the winter, and it's been that way since new.

One time (I must've been stopped for roadwork or something) I fiddled with the dreaded touch screen and moved the air from dash and floor, where it has always been, to dash only, then back again. And then there was heat!

Well, it worked that one time. Guess I should try again now that were getting down to negative over night. Maybe plan on setting aside time for messing with the screen for a bit before starting to drive, every darn time?

Ironically, I got stuck with the touch screen because I wanted the heated steering wheel and seats. Which are operated by the buttons below, anyway. Little did I know that it'd effectively cancel out the regular heating.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode