Diff Oil Change - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Diff Oil Change

How often should it be done? Iíve heard every 30 000 miles. My truck sees basically 85% highway unloaded.
Do I need to pull the cover off, or can I suck the oil out?

2018 2500 Laramie CTD CCSB 4x4
Method NV, Toyo RT, CTS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Go Packers

Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,164 Posts
When I change my rear differential gear oil, I pull the cover, and wipe it down clean. Having the cover off gives you the opportunity to inspect inside. Many school's of thought on how often. I change mine close to the 40,000 mile mark. My manual says every 15,000, but that is bit much IMO. Some change longer or shorter, depending on the owner and what's thought best. How often does your manual say?

2012 SLT 3500, CCLB, HO, SRW 4x2, 4.10s, 68RFE, Mineral Grey, Pacbrake air springs, Fumoto oil valve, Cat/Cummins Dual Filter kit, Edge CTS Monitor.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:08 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiBoneFramer View Post
How often should it be done? Iíve heard every 30 000 miles. My truck sees basically 85% highway unloaded.
Do I need to pull the cover off, or can I suck the oil out?
I wouldn't suggest sucking the oil out, I'm sure it would taste pretty nasty, probably make you sick.

Pulling the cover off is the best way since there is no drain plug, gasket is reusable.

Interval by the manual is 20K I believe on the 2018, but I suggest just doing it when you change the trans fluid/filter at 60K, which is the towing change interval for the 68RFE.
Drle likes this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
I wouldn't suggest sucking the oil out, I'm sure it would taste pretty nasty, probably make you sick.

Pulling the cover off is the best way since there is no drain plug, gasket is reusable.

Interval by the manual is 20K I believe on the 2018, but I suggest just doing it when you change the trans fluid/filter at 60K, which is the towing change interval for the 68RFE.
If I add a cover that has a drain plug does that change anything?

Method NV, Toyo RT, CTS2
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
If I add a cover that has a drain plug does that change anything?
Just makes it a whole lot easier to change the oil.

CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:24 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
And a whole lot harder to guess if everything inside is still okay.
Plus some of the worst crap will remain in the housing, since the plug can't be at the very bottom.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
I can only imagine how many times youíve changed the diff oil on your truck. Never a problem with the gaskets or bolts?
Need to add red locktite every time?

Method NV, Toyo RT, CTS2
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:41 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
I can only imagine how many times youíve changed the diff oil on your truck. Never a problem with the gaskets or bolts?
Need to add red locktite every time?
No issues ever, although mines a little more difficult than a stock steel cover as I have an aluminum cover and to get it off you have to take the swaybar mounts loose. But, just to change the oil, I just take the cover loose and let the oil run out, then cinch the bolts back up.

I never use any loctite, and you would especially not want to use red, too hard to get the bolts loose next time.
Jimmy N. likes this.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
And a whole lot harder to guess if everything inside is still okay.
Plus some of the worst crap will remain in the housing, since the plug can't be at the very bottom.
I've never found any appreciable crap in mine when changing the oil, and have started to change mine without fully removing the cover.
camperman and Jimmy N. like this.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:44 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Just asking.....if your not towing heavy or the rear diff isn’t going into water, why not wait till 100k to change it?
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:52 PM
Diesel Head

^ FWIW, I've changed alot of oil too, fleets of trucks.
IMO, I'd never use loctite on a diff cover. 1. It's in a corrosive environment area, so over the years, it's likely to get it's own brown loctite (rust). 2. the chances of getting every hole completely clean of lube so the loctite works is alot of work and of diminishing returns in this case. 3. It's not like if a bolt comes loose, it's a catastrophic failure (and through many years and many more vehicles than years, this has never been an issue I recall). Couple bolts loosen up, worst case is a little drip, you see it, tighten them, loctite em if it were to actually vibrate loose again.

In general, from growing up working on cars in the rust belt both personally and as an early career choice, I typically only loctite internal parts (can't get back to em without disassembly of ____) if called for.
On older wore out equipment, sometimes there's that odd bolt that likes to vibrate itself loose and needs glued in.

90% of all nuts and bolts on undercarriages get anti seize or at least some grease on them in anything I work on. Wheel lugs, brake calipers, driveshafts, etc. You tend to learn what rusts together by broken knuckles and rounded bolt heads and snapped bolts and try to prevent those being future occurrences.

And I'd put some good syn gear oil in it and run 50-75k miles before I thought about changing it again.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7 Hemi View Post
Just asking.....if your not towing heavy or the rear diff isnít going into water, why not wait till 100k to change it?
Agree. pickup for example, changed factory fill early on (just because my mindset, anything new or rebuilt gets an early break in oil change) and again at about 100k, oil looked pretty dang good. Just did again recently around 170k on rear axle, still looked good. Did the front that had the same oil since 15k and wished I hadn't wasted the time draining it.
BUT by the same token, just bought an old Chevy Tahoe with only 100k miles on it. Rear diff looked decent, not sure if factory fill or not, vehicle in good shape but evident not impeccably maintained. Front diff was pretty much black. Changed both, just dropped the oil and re-filled. The rear diff on those has a bottom plug and it looked like had to disassemble half the rear suspension to take the diff cover off, lol.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode