Traxda Level for now with Bilsteins and new tires, Thuren later? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

2Likes
  • 1 Post By kylant
  • 1 Post By K9Kodi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Traxda Level for now with Bilsteins and new tires, Thuren later?

Yes I know I started an 11 page thread about choosing a Thuren setup for my truck - And I've decided on the Fox Shocks, Front Track Bar, and front leveling coils (2" most likely)

Yes I know its not ideal but lets be honest there are tons of guys running Rough Country/Traxda/etc any of the plethora of leveling spacers on their trucks. Ride won't change and on worn suspension components of course there could be issues. Some guys IMO push it with the larger spacers (2.5" etc) especially on the front.

I have 7000 unloaded, non-towing miles on my truck since buying it in December, and have the yellow Bilstein shocks from the factory - they are a good shock and was curious on y'alls opinions to just throw on something like the Traxda 1.5" leveling spacer, aligning it, and just getting the mild leveled look and enjoy stock ride quality for the time being, with the yellow Bilsteins I have, to buy me some time to save up for the Thuren upgrade next year? Even if I have to buy the Thuren front track bar first its not a big deal but I think I should be able to get by for a bit without it (Thuren says the front track bar is good for about 20k miles before needing to replace, I guess from stress on the bushings, if leveling the truck)

I flipped the stock Firestone Transforce tires to get rid of the whitewalls but they are just not appealing looking, and I think I will gain more in enjoyment for the time being to get something thats a better looking and more aggressive tire and maybe it might be a bit more comfortable as well with more sidewall.

I have researched high and low, I don't want rubbing and I don't want too much unsprung weight and I don't want too much drivetrain stress with a true 35" tire or even a 295/65/20 with the stock BAP wheels and offsets, so I have narrowed down to the following:

-Cooper AT3 XLT in 295/60/20 (A *touch* wider, but they tend to run narrower for their size compared to some others in 295 by checking the specs so I should have no rub, and they are about 34.1" tall so almost 3/4" taller than stock)

OR

-BFG KO2 in 285/65/20 (34.5" height and stock width, this size now comes in the "DT" different tread which was redesigned for better treadwear and stability on the heavy duty trucks)

Not the point of this discussion but both mild upgrades in tire from the factory Firestones - Either of those tire upgrades would really transform the truck's look for the better and besides hearing from the "spend the money and do it right" crowd which I totally and wholeheartedly agree with, would I be able to get a reliable ride and look out of just doing something like the 1.5" Traxda level, at least for a year or so while I save up? Just not in the budget with a 2 month old son to do 2k+ in suspension and $1400+ in tires this year.

And yes I'm normally an "if it aint broke dont fix it" guy but with the amount of miles I put on a year (very minimal) it will take me a long time to wear the Firestones out. I don't even mind the stock size 285/60/20 if it was a more aggressive looking tire, the Firestones just make the tires look extremely small, and they are far from it.

2018 2500 Big Horn - 6.7L 68RFE - CC 6'4" - SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:58 PM
Diesel Head

Thuren and Carli up front for ride are awesome, but they are not the only option. You absolutely can run a spacer and like you mentioned I wouldn’t go above 1.5-2”. You’ll be fine. I ran a 35x12.50 on stock steel wheels w no level and rubbed the radius arm at full lock. Nothing crazy. As for tires, most of the heavy duty trucks stay away from the bff at, atko or whatever they are. Of those two, I’d say coopers

--2015 2500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, G56, Maximum Steel
- To Do List, 6" suspension,37" tires,4.56 Gears
--2006 2500 4x4 4 door long bed auto, 8" BDS, 37s
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Other ones I was looking at were the Goodyear Wranglers or Duratracs -

My beef with most of the "beefy" (pun intended) tires is its adding a lot of unsprung weight and yes it does have a negative effect - The Firestones are 56lbs and the Goodyears along with the BFG's, and Coopers, are only 5lbs more per tire - some tires are easy 10-20lbs more per tire in larger sizes

And I mentioned the newer KO2 as I spoke to Bridgestone and most don't realize it and go off old internet threads but there is a new tread compound now for the KO2's which is designed for better wear and handling on the heavy duty trucks -

I am leaning to do just the 1.5" spacer and really improve the looks with a better set of tires for now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:40 PM
Diesel Head

I never ran those bfg tires but I was always under the impression it wasn’t the tread wear or durability of tread but weaker sidewalls causing issues like death wobble or laziness w road manners, drifting and such. Just a whistleblower repeating 3rd party info. Take it for what’s its worth

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
i personally would save the money you spend on the spacers until you can do it right the first time. otherwise you will spend more money in the long run and probably regret doing it the way you did.
i would get a set of springs instead of the spacer. thuren springs are about $350. traxda spacers and shock extenders are about $170?? you can do springs and then a shock extender bracket until money allows you to get longer shocks. then piece the rest of it together. for about $250 more up front, you are better off.

narrower tires will minimize the potential for rubbing. I run a 285 on a +18 wheel and they are plenty wide.
I would say stick to the 285 if you are running stock offset wheels.
Ricky_Bobby likes this.

'18 3500 Mega Aisin, Carli suspended
í13 3500 CCLB Aisin, Carli suspended
'11 2500 Mega, Carli suspended
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Diesel Head

If someone is not looking for a softer ride or better performance, just factory like handling and characteristics, why should they not run a spacer. I mean, I’m
Not saying this is the op, but why are people so against a 1-2” spacer?
Ricky_Bobby likes this.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:18 PM
Diesel Head

I don't really want it taller. Just a little more spring travel so 1 inch would really help. A spacer and some good shocks. In some places in So Cal the freeways suck and towing makes it worse. The rear seems to have enough travel, its' the front that hits the stops. I have the 4600's and with b25K on them they seem to be allowing more rebound than they did.

2014 White Laramie 2500 CCSB 4x4, 6.7, Keyless go, buckets, Romik steps, Michelin Defender 295-70-18 tires, Snugtop Supersport. Big spoiled Bernese Mtn dog in the back seat. Wind River 250RDSW bumper pull TT (31ft, 7K LBS.) 2003 2500 4x4 5.9 best ever, SOLD.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Diesel Head

You bottom out your front coils driving on the freeway?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylant View Post
i personally would save the money you spend on the spacers until you can do it right the first time. otherwise you will spend more money in the long run and probably regret doing it the way you did.
i would get a set of springs instead of the spacer. thuren springs are about $350. traxda spacers and shock extenders are about $170?? you can do springs and then a shock extender bracket until money allows you to get longer shocks. then piece the rest of it together. for about $250 more up front, you are better off.

narrower tires will minimize the potential for rubbing. I run a 285 on a +18 wheel and they are plenty wide.
I would say stick to the 285 if you are running stock offset wheels.
Thanks guys and yeah I'm usually a "do it right or do it twice" guy, so I agree, an extra 2 hours of labor and a 2nd alignment vs. just getting all the Thuren stuff at once - I'll get my Thuren setup first and just run the stock tires for little while longer. I'm so indecisive on tires as well as whether I want 1" or 2" leveling springs anyway so its all going to take a while -

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
If you know where you plan to end up then just go straight there once.

In reality, none of us know where we're going to end up! There's nothing wrong with experimenting with a simple setup for a while.

A buddy is on his second truck running just the Traxda 1.5" spacers and longer shocks up front. Last time he did the 5100s, this time Fox 2.0s. No other mods. Looks better than stock, rides the same, cheap and it only takes a couple of hours.

You do not need to do an alignment with 1.5" spacers. If you feel like you've lost to much caster and the wheel doesn't return to center the way you'd like you can just rotate both adjusters a bit and be done with it.

'13 CCSB - SRW - AS69RC - 37" STT Pro - 16.5Ti - EFI by PPEI - "The AS69RC is a nightmare of a transmission. It was build [sic] with extremely low quality internal parts and its capacity to handle increased power in stock form is extremely low."
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Joe @ Dudeís Diesel Performance

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
We highly recommend Thuren as they make quality parts. As for the tires, I have 35x12.50x18 Cooper AT3 XLT’s on my ‘18 and they do great. They run the radius arms at full lock but it’s minimal. They ride great and the rougher looking sidewall makes them stand out. As already mentioned, the KO2’s wouldn’t be my first pick for a larger truck either. Let me know if you have any questions on Thuren products!

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
Romans 10:13
See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode