Thinking of getting a cap... - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What is the opinion on a backup camera with a cap?

I don't have one on my truck but I feel like it will be more difficult to see, I assume I should get one?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

"Silver Tuna" - 2014 RAM 2500 - Crew Cab - 4x4
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - PC Throttle Booster - AirRaid Intake - iBoard 5" Steps - RC Steering Brace - RC Black Series 20 LED bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedduck View Post

I don't have one on my truck but I feel like it will be more difficult to see, I assume I should get one?

Your truck doesn't have a backup camera in the tailgate???

I thought all of them had that, even tradesman models.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Diesel Freak

Yes, my OEM backup camera has been great
dedduck likes this.

2016 2500 4x4 Reg Cab SLT, Lux, Snow Chief
Synergy Drag Link, 2507# payload
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I have an ARE on mine, hinged front and side windows make cleaning and reaching things in the front of the bed easy.
Keeps things dry, clean and safe from thieves. Great camping gear storage area when I'm pulling the travel trailer
And yup, I'm an old man.
dedduck likes this.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Your truck doesn't have a backup camera in the tailgate???

I thought all of them had that, even tradesman models.
Not mine apparently lol I have tradesman. The OEM backup camera is expensive too. Womp.

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - PC Throttle Booster - AirRaid Intake - iBoard 5" Steps - RC Steering Brace - RC Black Series 20 LED bar
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:52 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Like the title says, I've been thinking of getting a cap for my truck for some time now.

I think mainly using it during the winter but with a kid, dog and lots of hobbies it would be nice to have the extra space to throw things in the bed and keep the elements out and keep things secure.

I like my tonneau cover I have but I can see use for all three setups, open bed, tonneau cover, and cap.

And no I'm not an old man. Lol

Pros and cons?

Recommendations on brands?

Pics and experience with you cap?

I've got a cap. Wouldn't have a pickup without one. Had one on every pickup I've had since 1982.

For those that can't have one...... That's different than won't have one.

I have a Leer. I think it's the 2nd one up. Not a high end but pretty decent.

My bed is now a storage and access area for tools, chairs, four or five different ball mounts (6" drop to 2" drop plus an adjustable one that weighs about 5,000lbs )) and can also serve as a bed in a pinch.

I can also, and do, put excess luggage in it when I go on a long road trip, I can put sand and gravel and cement bags and keep it out of the rain, I can lock the cap and the tailgate to keep street urchins out of it.......

I wouldn't have a pickup with out it. Unless it was not possible. Some people tow 5th wheels, some people use it on a farm all the time, some people just can't use one.

But unless you're one of those, there's just no point in not having one.

Unless you (not you personally, 'you' generically) think it looks uncool. In which case, you shouldn't be driving a truck anyway.

Might I recommend, maybe a Mazda Miata?

Now that's 'cool'
crispyboy, dedduck and Jimmy N. like this.

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Diesel Head

Oh yeah, if you get one, get it with the pop-out window in the front so you can, 1) Use your beer window and 2) Clean the rear window of your truck when needed.
dedduck likes this.

post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RammerJam View Post
I've got a cap. Wouldn't have a pickup without one. Had one on every pickup I've had since 1982.

For those that can't have one...... That's different than won't have one.

I have a Leer. I think it's the 2nd one up. Not a high end but pretty decent.

My bed is now a storage and access area for tools, chairs, four or five different ball mounts (6" drop to 2" drop plus an adjustable one that weighs about 5,000lbs )) and can also serve as a bed in a pinch.

I can also, and do, put excess luggage in it when I go on a long road trip, I can put sand and gravel and cement bags and keep it out of the rain, I can lock the cap and the tailgate to keep street urchins out of it.......

I wouldn't have a pickup with out it. Unless it was not possible. Some people tow 5th wheels, some people use it on a farm all the time, some people just can't use one.

But unless you're one of those, there's just no point in not having one.

Unless you (not you personally, 'you' generically) think it looks uncool. In which case, you shouldn't be driving a truck anyway.

Might I recommend, maybe a Mazda Miata?

Now that's 'cool'
Lmao thanks for the input. I like the way they look and love the idea of the extra storage.

I don't like the idea of storage of the cap itself when I take it off. I need an open bed from time to time and don't mine taking it on and off. But want to be able to do it myself and need a spot to put it out of the way.

Thinking of doing some type of ceiling hoist.

post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RammerJam View Post
Oh yeah, if you get one, get it with the pop-out window in the front so you can, 1) Use your beer window and 2) Clean the rear window of your truck when needed.
This basically sold me hahaha

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:

Maybe you're thinking of a 'Cargo' camera??

I would think the cap would block that. It blocks the bed lights, too.

I still wouldn't have a truck without one. In fact, if I couldn't have one, I'd probably just get an Expedition or something.

I don't work my truck. Few people in here actually do. Some do. They're a different breed. I'm a little jealous of them. If it weren't for the word 'work' being in there.

But most of us?

Weekend warriors.

I also have a mat in mine. A Weathertech. It came with the spray-in liner so I don't need a drop in liner. But you do need (IMO) a mat. The drop-in liner is okay, at best. But things tend to slide around on it quite a bit. If you go that route, look at a rubber mat to put over it.

Your knees will thank you.

post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Like the title says, I've been thinking of getting a cap for my truck for some time now.

I think mainly using it during the winter but with a kid, dog and lots of hobbies it would be nice to have the extra space to throw things in the bed and keep the elements out and keep things secure.

I like my tonneau cover I have but I can see use for all three setups, open bed, tonneau cover, and cap.

And no I'm not an old man. Lol

Pros and cons?

Recommendations on brands?

Pics and experience with you cap?

If used Snugtops on my last 4 trucks. No issues at all. Somebody else said and I agree to make sure you get the drop down window for access to the truck rear window for cleaning or access.

2014 2500 Laramie Crew, short bed. 2014 30 10k Timber Ridge TT, Nascar Nut.......
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Lmao thanks for the input. I like the way they look and love the idea of the extra storage.

I don't like the idea of storage of the cap itself when I take it off. I need an open bed from time to time and don't mine taking it on and off. But want to be able to do it myself and need a spot to put it out of the way.

Thinking of doing some type of ceiling hoist.

I thought about that myself. Not sure there's a good answer without a fork lift (put a wood pallet on the forks)

If you're thinking about taking it off by hand, I think you'd need four men. More for balancing it than anything. It shouldn't weigh much more than 250 lbs, I would think. Wear leather gloves so you're not digging fiberglas out of your fingers for the next 6 weeks

I thought about a block and tackle or a chain hoist in the garage or barn but, I can't figure out how to make that one work without damaging the padded rails on the bottom of the cap.

Maybe talk to the guy you buy it from. I bet he'll take it off and store it for a nominal fee.

I've had my removable window on my cap out exactly twice in the last two years. You seldom use it, but when you need it....... You need it.

Oh, and face the window toward the rear of the cab of the truck initially so you can open and close it from your rear seat. Some people like to face it toward the rear of the truck so they can open it from the bed of the truck.

I still haven't figure out which is better. I have it facing the cab for now.
dedduck likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode