Just got rear ended, need experienced advice. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just got rear ended, need experienced advice.

So today I got rear ended from a small jeep liberty, going about 40 mph or so. His SUV was demolished to say the least but at least nobody got seriously hurt so that is good. I don't have pics yet but I can describe some of the damage. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie sport appearance package 4x4. Stock except for a tool box and a spray in bed liner.

Damage: My rear bumper is in pieces, the tow hitch is bent. Looked like the tailgate is warped and may not open/close properly again. I did not drive it after it was hit but coasted to the side of the highway when it happened. Motor sounded the same as far as I can tell. I didn't hear anything different from normal running but it was on a busy highway so not sure about that.

Now for the questions:

1. Has anyone else had this happen and got the truck fixed without further problems?

2. What do you look for to make sure the repair shop checks everything out correctly?

3. Is there anything specific I should look for and make sure the auto body shop checks?

This happened about 3 hours ago and I'm trying to remember the best I can but my head's still foggy. Also any experiences out there would help out big time so I can make sure I'm doing everything I need to in order to fix this. One issue for me is I got this truck brand new, it only has 10k miles on it and if its totaled out the newer ones are at least 9k more than what I payed for this one with the same options. Thanks in advanced for any help. Drive safe out there!

2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 10:00 PM
Cummins Freak

Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
You need to check the gaps between the bed and cab. Bed side buckling and they will also want to check the frame to make sure it is not bent!! Glad your OK!!
cwendel likes this.

2018 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Bighorn White 4.10 Gears/Carli coils/295 Toyo AT2's /Full Console swop w shifter /Projector Headlights with HID's-LED Highs/ B&W Turnover Ball----
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie , 35" Toyo AT's / Center Console Shifter Mod. SOLD---- 2012 Ram 2500 4X4 Crew-Silver- 4:10's / Carli 3" Coils w/35" Toyo AT2's / Ranch Hand Bumper / Center Console Swap w shifter SOLD!!!
Old 10-19-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRich12 View Post
You need to check the gaps between the bed and cab. Bed side buckling and they will also want to check the frame to make sure it is not bent!! Glad your OK!!
Great tip thank you, glad we are ok too. Can they fix a bent frame?

2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 10:47 PM
Diesel Freak

I would also have them check to see if the driveshaft got pushed into the tail housing of the transmission. If it did bend the frame, it may have pushed the rear end forward. Possible crack in trans. Glad you’re OK!! My wife and I got rear ended by a full size Escalade in my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee. He was going about 40 mph too, we had pretty substantial damage but everyone turned out to be OK! Good luck!!

AZJohnnyO
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2015 2500 4X4 CC Laramie in Black Forest Green 6.7 w/68RFE. N-Fab step bars, BakFlip HD Tonneau cover.
"What if the HOKEY POKEY "IS" what it's all about?"
"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".
Old 10-19-2019, 11:39 PM
Cummins Nut

Hope you swapped insurance info, did many photos, and called your attorney. Necks and spines don’t like getting smacked in the rear. You may feel ok now, sometimes injuries sneak up on us later.
chknkatsu and 2500/6 like this.

2014 2500 Laramie Crew, short bed. 2014 30’ 10k Timber Ridge TT, Nascar Nut.......
The Following User Says Thank You to hooked55 For This Useful Post:
OreyGunRam (10-20-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 11:46 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
^^THAT

post accident whiplash and back injuries don’t typically start to manifest for AT LEAST 36 hours. Schedule a visit for day after tomorrow with a chiropractor who can do xrays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2500/6 likes this.

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, grid delete, fleabay elbow, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, Mishimoto stock replacement radiator.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:53 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,622 Posts
Highly doubt the insurance company will total your truck for this amount of damage.

Find a competent body shop and they will be able to check all possible damage, a good shop doesn't want any come backs.

Then, as stated, make absolutely sure you or your passengers don't have any injuries, something you can't tell for sure now. Most everyone carries PIP insurance for that these days
Wowegner likes this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
Old 10-20-2019, 08:32 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,720 Times in 916 Posts
Have the motor mounts and trans mounts checked as well. I was rear ended years ago (different truck) really hard and it did not bend the frame, however the shock and extreme acceleration broke all mounts to the engine and trans. Found it weeks later after truck was fixed. Kept getting weird clunking sounds when accelerating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013-2500 Laramie 4x4-CC-Long Box-Auto-3:42
The Following User Says Thank You to Trowel2013 For This Useful Post:
OreyGunRam (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I appreciate all the information that is posted and today we both feel really sore. When it happened we were met with the state police (which were just great). They got all the insurance information for me and gave me a police report on the spot. The other driver couldn't speak english that well which made it hard to make sure his kid was ok. Luckily the EMS guy could speak Spanish. I am going to the towing company to get the rest of my stuff out of it and I'll post pics when I get back.

As for the truck: I'm not a mechanic whatsoever but I will have all of these things checked out you all listed to make sure its fixed right. My dad got into a similar wreck on his Ford and it was never the same. He had continued problems with his and I just hope mine isn't like it.

2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 10-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Diesel Head

Many good shops offer life time warranty on their work. If they missed something they will go back and fix it. Its not all bad to use a shop the insurance company recommends, the insurance company also only wants to fix it once. Progressive recommended a good shop after my accident, but it was to far away so I chose a local shop that does a lifetime guarantee on collision repair. You might also want to make sure the shop you use does a lot of work with the insurance company, it will make it a lot smoother and quicker. A lot of time is wasted waiting for insurance adjuster to show up and approve the work, which confuses me since they have no choice. But if an adjuster for that company goes there every other day for multiple cars it helps. If they person who hit you has some odd insurance it might not apply. Remember you can take it to any shop you want, you do not have to use the one the at fault drivers insurance wants to use. Also look into Diminished Value, most states allow it. Once your truck is repaired back the exact condition it was before the accident your truck is still worth less then it was because it now has been in a wreck and that will show up on the carfax reports. So you cannot sell it as never been in an accident. In Fl you have 4 years to file a diminished value claim. My truck has $18 of front end damage, I accepted $3K in diminished value. But nothing on my truck was repaired, it was all new parts, all new suspension, new axle housing, new radiator, new everything. It was all unbolt and bolt on new parts. Maybe I could have gotten more, but I was happy and moved on.

If you get into a second accident it will be much harder to get a diminished value claim if your state allows it, because its value was already diminished. That really stinks if this was not major damage but also something to consider. Until a good shop puts it in a rack and checks motor mounts, frame dimensions etc you really have no clue of how much damage.
HeavyTwo likes this.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
Old 10-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,819 Times in 2,117 Posts
Your rig has lost value even if repaired. The accident report shows up on carfax and has removed value. I would be tempted to require the insurance company to buy it. If not be sure to get a check that pays for the lower value even after repairs are done you now have because of the crash.
HeavyTwo and goingcamping2 like this.

1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. 37337 upgrade. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Cummins Dude

Garage
Glad everyone’s okay. So far.

Like others may have said.
Get all parties to a doctor to get checked out. Establish health conditions at the outset. Effects of Whiplash can occur over time and can have a lasting effect.
It doesn’t hurt to speak to a lawyer for advise either. If one is retained, Don’t settle right away.
Property (vehicles) can be repaired. Bodies....not so easily.
Go to a repair shop recommended and guaranteed by your insurance company.
Claim for diminished value.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CCSB SRW 4x4 6.7L CTD 370hp-800tq 68RFE 3:42's HID's XB LED Fogs Amp Steps Air Bags 5er Prep Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in