Just got rear ended, need experienced advice. - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:34 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Don’t fret your truck is probably not totaled. Mine was hit at about the same mileage and about 6 months into ownership and in about the same way....5700 in damage..... bedside, hitch, bumper, tailgate, tail light, back of cab scratched on passenger side.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2327FC83-969F-4D72-A5CF-9FDC40255E7C.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	858825  

2016 2500 cc 4x4 6.7 Hills Greena.k.a Jeffrow Hulk BAP emblems, Weathertechs, Color matched, Bush Wackers, 8.4AN single zone, steering wheel controls, BDS Dual Hoop, 6.5" Zone Lift, Fox 2.0 20x12 Octanes, Grampa Campa(Ranch Echo)37x12.50r20 Ridge Grapplers
2014 Durango R/T Granite Crystal (zippy minivan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:55 PM
Cummins Fanatic

After checking for injuries and calling 911, my cell phone would be taking at least 50 photos of everything and everyone, from every angle.
Your insurance will immediately begin repair through your collision coverage, less your deductible.
Your insurance company will negotiate a settlement with the other drivers insurance (hope they have it) since they are at fault and recover your deductible, rental car and medical costs..if any.
Go see a doctor if yo feel injured..you will be sore for a few days.
I'm guessing the rear-ender was on the phone.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

If it were me, I would get rid of the truck and sue the crap out of the guy that rear ended me. Probably was texting and driving.

2018 Ram 3500 Limited, Single Wheel, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins_Michael View Post
If it were me, I would get rid of the truck and sue the crap out of the guy that rear ended me. Probably was texting and driving.
Real Christian of you. How do you know the rest of the story. Your the kind of person that drives everyone elseís ins up. Real piece of crap.
azjohnnyo and Flight medic like this.
post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:03 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenderson View Post
Quote:
Real Christian of you. How do you know the rest of the story. Your the kind of person that drives everyone else’s ins up. Real piece of crap.
What makes me a poc? Please explain.

Why bring religion into this? What does that have to do with anything?

How do you explain someone rear ending you at 40 mph?

You sure are a smart one.

post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Diesel Head

Read my post in the prev thread.
As for rear ended at 40? How do you know if thatís the speed the op was driving at or the differential? How would anybody prove the differential at this point? PROBABLY on the phone? How do you know there wasnít a medical emergency. You know NOTHING about the situation but the first thing that comes to your mind is to hire a lawyer. And you donít know what makes you a P.O.S.?
azjohnnyo and tomk like this.
post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:42 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenderson View Post
Read my post in the prev thread.
As for rear ended at 40? How do you know if that’s the speed the op was driving at or the differential? How would anybody prove the differential at this point? PROBABLY on the phone? How do you know there wasn’t a medical emergency. You know NOTHING about the situation but the first thing that comes to your mind is to hire a lawyer. And you don’t know what makes you a P.O.S.?
I'm going by what the OP posted....40 mph. As far as insurance premiums rising...if we had folks that didn't drive like a maniac, premiums would not rise.

So if you were in an accident and you and your family was injured or heaven forbid killed....you would not hire an attorney?

post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Ok, before things get heated here is a pic of the other driver's Jeep.

After reading the reply's I appreciate everyone giving their advice and it is very helpful. Nobody wants to have to deal with a wrecked truck afterwards especially after they bought it brand new. I'm more vested into this truck because it was a present to myself after I retired and worked by butt off to get it.

That being said, there is no way I could know for sure how fast he was going. It's an estimate base on experience is all. I was stopped on the freeway because there was another accident about 2 mile ahead of me that I was sure everyone on the road could see with cops and EMS.

The other driver had a woman and a kid in their Jeep but didn't seem to be in a rush or had somewhere to get to. They waited there for a family member to pick them up last I heard from the officer.

I didn't get photos of my truck cause I was worried about my wife, their kid and the others, and honestly it happened so fast I got lost in thought before we went to the hospital. I called the tow shop to go see it but they were closed so I won't have any until tomorrow but I will post them. Its funny how you don't remember as much til afterwards. In my area tons of people are always on their phones and it drives me bonkers (not that he was but I have no way of knowing).

As for us, we are really really sore and still dealing with other issues. I spent time on here and other websites looking up depreciated values, how to deal with insurance companies and such and still learning about it. I'm pretty sure unless there is something I could not see (mechanically or frame wise) the truck will be repaired from what family members say. I'm just glad their kid is ok and we lived another day.
Attached Images

Dogpatch likes this.

2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
post #21 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:43 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
I'm going by what the OP posted....40 mph. As far as insurance premiums rising...if we had folks that didn't drive like a maniac, premiums would not rise.

So if you were in an accident and you and your family was injured or heaven forbid killed....you would not hire an attorney?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreyGunRam View Post
Ok, before things get heated here is a pic of the other driver's Jeep.

After reading the reply's I appreciate everyone giving their advice and it is very helpful. Nobody wants to have to deal with a wrecked truck afterwards especially after they bought it brand new. I'm more vested into this truck because it was a present to myself after I retired and worked by butt off to get it.

That being said, there is no way I could know for sure how fast he was going. It's an estimate base on experience is all. I was stopped on the freeway because there was another accident about 2 mile ahead of me that I was sure everyone on the road could see with cops and EMS.

The other driver had a woman and a kid in their Jeep but didn't seem to be in a rush or had somewhere to get to. They waited there for a family member to pick them up last I heard from the officer.

I didn't get photos of my truck cause I was worried about my wife, their kid and the others, and honestly it happened so fast I got lost in thought before we went to the hospital. I called the tow shop to go see it but they were closed so I won't have any until tomorrow but I will post them. Its funny how you don't remember as much til afterwards. In my area tons of people are always on their phones and it drives me bonkers (not that he was but I have no way of knowing).

As for us, we are really really sore and still dealing with other issues. I spent time on here and other websites looking up depreciated values, how to deal with insurance companies and such and still learning about it. I'm pretty sure unless there is something I could not see (mechanically or frame wise) the truck will be repaired from what family members say. I'm just glad their kid is ok and we lived another day.
Exactly how any decent individual would feel after some time has passed. No fun having to deal with this sort of thing. Itís why theyíre called accidents. Nobody does this on purpose. Hope you and your wife heal quickly.
I will say, the damage in the photos doesnít show a 40 mph speed differential, although Iím sure it seemed that way at the time.
azjohnnyo likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jhenderson For This Useful Post:
OreyGunRam (10-20-2019)
post #22 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:27 PM
Diesel Head

Frontal air bags are generally designed to deploy in "moderate to severe" frontal or near-frontal crashes, which are defined as crashes that are equivalent to hitting a solid, fixed barrier at 8 to 14 mph or higher. (This would be equivalent to striking a parked car of similar size at about 16 to 28 mph or higher.)

did their air bags deploy ??

my wife was rear ended by a car which they air bags deployed and both vehicles were totaled, estimated 40 mph impact

2002 2500 Quadcab LB 4X4 NV5600 HO stock
2012 3500 SRW Crewcab LWB 4X4 Auto 6.7 HO stock
post #23 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Frontal air bags are generally designed to deploy in "moderate to severe" frontal or near-frontal crashes, which are defined as crashes that are equivalent to hitting a solid, fixed barrier at 8 to 14 mph or higher. (This would be equivalent to striking a parked car of similar size at about 16 to 28 mph or higher.)

did their air bags deploy ??

my wife was rear ended by a car which they air bags deployed and both vehicles were totaled, estimated 40 mph impact
I think the Jeep's front bags deployed but not 100% sure. I vaguely remember seeing something white near his steering wheel but it could have been anything truthfully. Hope you all were ok in the wreck.

2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
post #24 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Does anyone know for sure if the truck's computer is able to measure any form of the impact?

2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode