Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Bad NOX sensor at 26k

9K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  miralev161 
#1 ·
I had my stock '14 in to the dealer recently to do a rear main seal at 26k miles. My truck is out of warranty. I picked it up, left the dealer and got about 2 miles down the road and the check engine
light came on. I took it back the dealer and told them I didn't see how this could be a coincidence.
They scanned the truck and came back with an upper NOX sensor code. Long story short, the mechanic said they would flash the computer, but if the code came back they would have to replace the sensor. Of course the code came back. The dealer is wanting $2100 to replace the sensor. That's crazy, and no way I'm paying it. Has anyone heard of one going out at such low mileage. Do you think the fact I don't drive it much is a contributing factor? I think it's odd that the problem occurred right after I left the dealer, but I don't think there's much I can do about that. I did look around and couldn't find any damage near the sensor. Thx

#3 ·
sensor is about 100 bucks IIRC. On mine I removed the sensor, need a special socket to go around the wire, and there was carbon build up on it.
I cleaned it and put it back in and it worked fine. You might get it out with out the socket but they are tight in there, be careful not to round it off.
Socket was cheap enough but it still wanted to slip.

#6 ·
Never, never use the dealer for any mechanical work outside of warranty.

Guarantee you could have gotten the rear main seal fixed way cheaper, and the NOx sensor as well.

A new NOx sensor will run you anywhere from $269 to $450 depending on which one you need and whether you get oem or aftermarket.

#15 ·
There is also a RAM service bulletin for the P2201 that may apply to your truck, if it hasn't already been done, it is a pcm update that may cure the issue.

I believe the dealer will do the update for free.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/ram-service-bulletin-18-018-13-rev-d/

And, has your truck had the SCR catalyst recall replacement done?

This may also be a part of the problem.

#18 ·
The sensor by the turbo is the correct one. I replaced mine about a year ago at 80000 miles. Bought it from Rock Auto, which was he cheapest I could find at the time ($359 I think). Did it myself, took a couple hours. The other end is behind the oil filter, and I found it was easiest to remove the oil filter.

#23 ·
Per my dealer the sensors are covered by the standard 3 year, 36k warranty. My sensor failed at about 4 1/2 years. The oem part is near the $1000 mark. I made a mistake buying an off-brand from amazon, worked for about a month. Turned out this particular part didn't have current updated redesign. I understand the doorman brand is good but the second shop I used insisted on oem brand parts only.

Tried to do the work myself as usual but could not reach the sensor with the right wrench to do the job. Routing the wire and mounting the module is also a treat.

Reactions: 99ls1tj
#27 ·
My 2015 had the rear nox sensor go out around 30,000ish, and trk was about 2 years old. I was still stock then, and went to the dealer. They replaced it and off I went. Don't know what made me lye on the ground and look under the truck, but I did. I saw a shiny, sensor, the last one in the pipe. Don't know what made me touch it, but I did, and it was put in finger tight/only. Like another guy said, I probably could have cleaned it and put it back in. Mine is a grocery getter, most of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.