Key Fob - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Key Fob

My Key Fob has started working intermediately lately. When I touch the door handle it sometimes doesn't respond as well as the push button start. My remote start has also been giving problems, and this happens with both key fobs, which leads me to ask, is it the key fobs or the truck?

I'm pretty certain that this has happened to others, what is the cause? Key fob or the truck? Solutions?

Thanks.

Marc

2019 2500 Laramie 6.7L Cummins
2013 2500 Laramie 6.7L Cummins - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:52 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Was going to suggest battery but since it is happening with both remotes then I would say highly unlikely.

I have no clue other than I wonder if you have a short or some other gremlin that is causing some erratic power loss to the receiver.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Ram 2500 MegaCab SRW with Rambox and factory air suspension.
Factory fifth wheel prep kit also installed.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,631 Posts
Could be the battery in both remotes if they are both original.
ctate and 1968rt like this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:42 AM

I got a 2018 ram 3500 and its hard to get it to work. I have to press the button on the handle sometimes 6 times before it does anything. Sometimes it beeps the horn but doesn’t lock the doors and if you open it after it not locking the alarm will go off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

I will eliminate the batteries, I have replaced in both fobs several times.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:32 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marct View Post
My Key Fob has started working intermediately lately. When I touch the door handle it sometimes doesn't respond as well as the push button start. My remote start has also been giving problems, and this happens with both key fobs, which leads me to ask, is it the key fobs or the truck?

I'm pretty certain that this has happened to others, what is the cause? Key fob or the truck? Solutions?

Thanks.

Marc
When it happens, does everything not work at the same time, or do certain functions not work at certain times?
Does it only happen in a certain location that you park your truck, or at random locations?
Do you ever get a key fob has left the vehicle message when you’re driving?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Diesel Freak

Both of my fobs have seemed to malfunction at times. I don't do anything to the truck. I swap out the fobs' batteries. They seem extraordinarily sensitive to low voltage or poorer quality batteries. One fob, more than the other, seems to want only the newest, premium batteries. Generics or off-brands just don't cut it. Gotta find the Energizer top line... and then it works fine. Irritating but predictable. I keep a spare package of replacements in my briefcase for when the truck starts getting finicky about listening to the fob.

Had the remotes checked when it's been in for recalls, dealer says "works as intended".

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Cummins Nut

Had both original key fob batteries act up within a day of each. They lasted 4.5 years. Got the low fob battery on the screen. Replaced both with Energizers, no issue since swapping them out.

2014 2500 Laramie Crew, short bed. 2014 30’ 10k Timber Ridge TT, Nascar Nut.......
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy07 View Post
When it happens, does everything not work at the same time, or do certain functions not work at certain times?
When it happens, I can't unlock the door by touch, I have to either open by remote or by key. And the ignition won't work, I have to press the start button with the fob.

[/QUOTE]Does it only happen in a certain location that you park your truck, or at random locations?[/QUOTE]

It happens at random locations.

[/QUOTE]Do you ever get a key fob has left the vehicle message when you’re driving?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPeterson View Post
Both of my fobs have seemed to malfunction at times. I don't do anything to the truck. I swap out the fobs' batteries. They seem extraordinarily sensitive to low voltage or poorer quality batteries. One fob, more than the other, seems to want only the newest, premium batteries. Generics or off-brands just don't cut it. Gotta find the Energizer top line... and then it works fine. Irritating but predictable. I keep a spare package of replacements in my briefcase for when the truck starts getting finicky about listening to the fob.

Had the remotes checked when it's been in for recalls, dealer says "works as intended".
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked55 View Post
Had both original key fob batteries act up within a day of each. They lasted 4.5 years. Got the low fob battery on the screen. Replaced both with Energizers, no issue since swapping them out.
You guys may be on to something, I've been using Energizer batteries bought off of Amazon. Would they be any less than a store bought battery?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
You guys may be on to something, I've been using Energizer batteries bought off of Amazon. Would they be any less than a store bought battery?
I doubt it, but probably depends on their age. I’d get the newest name brand batteries as possible.

2014 2500 Laramie Crew, short bed. 2014 30’ 10k Timber Ridge TT, Nascar Nut.......
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 10:48 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
When it happens, I can't unlock the door by touch, I have to either open by remote or by key. And the ignition won't work, I have to press the start button with the fob.
I think you’re rf hub is the culprit. It might need to be reset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode