Dealership failed to put enough fluid in my Transmission - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Dealership failed to put enough fluid in my Transmission

Hello all,

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn I bought used with 63,000 miles on it. I now have 85,000 on it. I am having some issues with my dealership so here we go.

First chain of events, I had a U joint in my drive shaft go bad, I could hear it squeaking. Take it in, the service adviser says "I'll call the extended warranty company for you and get this fixed." to which I said "Uhh, that U joint should be covered by the Power train warranty." She argued, for a few minutes and then said "Do you want a job?" She didn't even know what the warranty covered. This lady was a former manager at this exact dealership and has been there easily 10 years so... I just wonder how many people she had screwed over of this.

So, I decided for my next service that I would go ahead and get my truck worked on at the dealer I bought the truck from that has almost perfect ratings on their service department.....

Next series of events, so my truck comes due for an oil and fuel filter change. Well, the 90,000 mile service calls for a transmission fluid change, lets just get that done early so I don't have to worry about it. They perform the service, look for problems and find nothing. this dealer is 2 hours away from me. Away I go. (that was 2 weeks ago yesterday)

I notice some odd feels while driving it, but no check engine light was on so I just chalked it up to new fluid so things haven't adapted yet, they'll go away soon...... till Saturday. exactly 11 days after they serviced it, check engine light comes on while I'm on my way home from goose hunting with my 22' Seaark boat on the back. I drop the boat at my farm, head home, shut the truck off until Monday morning when I take it straight to my dealership in my home town to get scanned. the Scan code was P0868 (Low line pressure). They check the fluid level and it was 4 Quarts low. They look for leaks, no leaks..... The dealer in my home town says "whoever serviced it didn't put enough fluid in it."

I have called and been in contact with the dealer that serviced it. They told me to drive it and see if the light comes back on, which I am doing but, I am worried about future damage. I may be paranoid, but it still doesn't feel right even though it is not throwing another code. I am taking it to that dealer 2 hours away tomorrow.... I am afraid they will say "we don't feel anything, can't do anything till it breaks." which could be 30,000 miles from now. I am trying to get them to either put a new one in so I know it isn't damaged or at least extend my warranty passed the 100,000 miles mark another 36,000 miles.

what do you all think? I am not pissed, everyone has a bad day.... but I want this made right and I don't know what to have them do to make it right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,609 Posts
I doubt your trans is damaged, I'm positive that FCA won't let them install a new trans, or extend the warranty.

I think you're probably just letting paranoia get the best of you.

But, I wouldn't let that dealer service your truck ever again.

Simple stuff like fluid and filter changes you can do yourself and know they're done right.
Gr8bawana likes this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

How do you doubt my Trans is damaged? It literally was missing a third of the fluid that goes in it? I drove it over a thousand miles in those 11 days and had trailers hooked up to the truck twice. I don't see how that didn't damage the transmission. It certainly was bad enough to throw a fault code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Diesel Head

How bad were the shifts? Did it ever get super hot? Any Spikes in Rpms? Erratic shifting?

--2015 2500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, G56, Maximum Steel
- To Do List, 6" suspension,37" tires,4.56 Gears
--2006 2500 4x4 4 door long bed auto, 8" BDS, 37s
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,609 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry, you didn't want an honest opinion, you just wanted someone to agree with you.

So, disregard my comments.

Also, 4 quarts is more like a quarter than a third.
1968rt, Radride, ptisceo and 5 others like this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

I noticed it surging when I was coming to a stop and some hard shifts. It also felt strange when engaging into reverse. some times it would pause, and others it would feel like it was engaging harder and I had to slam on the brake to keep it from backing up into something. I have no idea how hot it got. Is there a way to check that? I know there is a transmission temp gauge, but is there away to check the max temperature it got up too? and I am sorry, you are correct, a quarter. I am reacting that way because the dealer that I am taking it to said in an Email, "at 4 quarts low, according to engineering would not let the transmission engage." So the dealer is shocked that it didn't cause damage if it was really 4 quarts low.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Yeah I doubt you damaged anything. If anything you maybe shortened the life of the trans by a couple of days, if that. Trans fluid doesn't exactly serve the same purpose as engine oil does. If you want peace of mind, drop the pan and inspect fluid and replace the filters again and go on your way.

It didn't throw a fault code until several days later meaning that there was enough fluid to maintain line pressure those first few days. I am guessing the day the code popped up was a colder day? The fluid expands and contracts quite a bit in varying temps and suspect the day the code tripped was a cold one where the fluid level finally dropped below the level to maintain line pressure.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimmin View Post
Yeah I doubt you damaged anything. If anything you maybe shortened the life of the trans by a couple of days, if that. Trans fluid doesn't exactly serve the same purpose as engine oil does. If you want peace of mind, drop the pan and inspect fluid and replace the filters again and go on your way.

It didn't throw a fault code until several days later meaning that there was enough fluid to maintain line pressure those first few days. I am guessing the day the code popped up was a colder day? The fluid expands and contracts quite a bit in varying temps and suspect the day the code tripped was a cold one where the fluid level finally dropped below the level to maintain line pressure.
It was a little colder, but it through the code on the last 5 minutes of a 45 minute drive home down the highway towing a boat. so it should have been warmed up.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimmin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, you didn't want an honest opinion, you just wanted someone to agree with you.

So, disregard my comments.

Also, 4 quarts is more like a quarter than a third.
The reason for my reaction is because of the email I received from the dealer stating that the truck shouldn't run 4 quarts low on transmission. I am sorry that I came off to you like that.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,269 Posts
Several observations

1. Why anyone has faith in a dealership these days with high ratings beats me. We fail to remember that these are regular men who most of the time will fudge stuff up just like we would. Not all, but most don’t take pride in their work. Only a select few! Even then, John Doe leaves his dealership thinking “wow I have to recommend this dealer to everyone!”. Just because all the chain of events worked in harmony that day for you doesn’t mean it’ll work that way for everyone. You just so happened to get a great advisor, a great tech, and a great porter that cleaned your vehicle upon delivery. Your experience with that dealer proves my point. You probably got the good advisor but one of the other techs who falls in the 99% category. Never ever ever put faith in dealer ratings. It’s a deceiving tool.

2. It appears dealers have a general consensus that drain and fill only requires 7-8 quarts. Same thing happened to me. Sort of. I went to my parts department and the guy at the counter said I only needed about 8 quarts for a drain and fill. I almost took him at his word but then I remember what @gsbrockman wrote on here. Our trucks need around 11-12 quarts. So I left the parts department with plenty to take home and when I finished this service in my garage at home I had purchased about 1/2 a quart to much. Good thing I didn’t listen to the parts guy. Idiot.

3. I would get it DOCUMENTED that the work they did was poor that has the potential to cause future damage. Will it? Probably not. But I wouldn’t dare leave a dealer like that and let them get away scot free for a poor job l. I would raise hell. Seriously. Get it DOCUMENTED!

Best of luck buddy

'14 6.7 S465
'17 6.7
'18 6.7 S467.7
The Following User Says Thank You to nick00less For This Useful Post:
gsbrockman (10-09-2019)
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:23 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,269 Posts
Double post

'14 6.7 S465
'17 6.7
'18 6.7 S467.7
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:59 PM
White Lightning

Thanked 5,960 Times in 3,217 Posts
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by leipard308 View Post
Next series of events, so my truck comes due for an oil and fuel filter change. Well, the 90,000 mile service calls for a transmission fluid change, lets just get that done early so I don't have to worry about it. They perform the service, look for problems and find nothing. this dealer is 2 hours away from me. Away I go. (that was 2 weeks ago yesterday)
That dealership is ran by buffoons.......

The 68RFE in your 2500 has intervals of 60,000 miles (severe service use) OR 120,000 miles (non severe service use).

The only transmission that has a service interval at 90,000 miles is the AS69RC, which is only available in the 3500’s, 4500’s and 5500’s, and that interval is a drain and fill (no filter change).

Stuff that makes me go “hmmmmmmmmmm”
  • Did the dealer think it was an AS69RC and only drop the pan and change the fluid ONLY?
  • Did the dealer put the WRONG fluid in it, as well as not even properly refilling it to the correct level?
  • Since the dealer can’t even get the 68RFE service interval right, nor the fluid level right, I would have little faith that anything else is remotely right.

Selling you a transmission service at 90,000 miles (unless you do tow heavy often and missed the 60,000 suggested interval) was / is just more reinforcement of the fact that the dealership was more interested in their bottom line for the day in the form of upselling you than in assisting you in actually correctly maintaining your truck. Did I mention buffoons?

2018 RAM 4500 Chassis Tradesman Crew Cab 60” C/A 4WD, 6.7L Cummins, AISIN AS69RC Transmission, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Chrome Appearance Group, Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Chrome Tubular Steps, 52+22 gallon fuel tanks, 5.0 Radio, Single Disc CD Player, 225/70R19.5 Continental HDR’s, Aluminum Wheels, Parkview Backup Camera, Trailer Brake Controller. Equipped with a CM SK Series flatbed w/B&W Turnover Ball. Purchased new April 23, 2018. Currently : 170,020 miles and 2,997 hours as of October 13th, 2019 (Average Miles Per Hour = 56.7)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode