Upgrade to 8.4 or go aftermarket? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade to 8.4 or go aftermarket?

Hey all,

This is my first thread start, so apologies if it is in the wrong area. I am looking into upgrading to the larger touch screen in my truck. (18' Ram 3500 Tradesman). I currently have the 5.0 Uconnect system. No radio controls on the steering wheel (although I would like those as well). I am looking to see whether people recommend going the stock radio route, or just upgrading to an aftermarket head unit? I like the look of the stock units, and also like the integration, but the price is a bit hard to swallow.

I also have a factory backup camera and reverse sensors if that is necessary info!

The kit from infotainment is priced at ~$2100 after all said and done. LINK

Thanks for any input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 Ram 3500. G56 Transmission
MODS: Mirror light mod, Premium Cluster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sethster; 10-01-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Added information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethster View Post
Hey all,

This is my first thread start, so apologies if it is in the wrong area. I am looking into upgrading to the larger touch screen in my truck. (18' Ram 3500 Tradesman). I currently have the 5.0 Uconnect system. No radio controls on the steering wheel (although I would like those as well). I am looking to see whether people recommend going the stock radio route, or just upgrading to an aftermarket head unit? I like the look of the stock units, and also like the integration, but the price is a bit hard to swallow.

I also have a factory backup camera and reverse sensors if that is necessary info!

The kit from infotainment is priced at ~$2100 after all said and done. LINK

Thanks for any input.
If youíre dead set on going with the 8.4, check out this thread- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how...17-ram.116140/
It has all the info you need to source the parts yourself for way cheaper than infotainment. Itís cheapest to just go aftermarket with an idatalink maestro to fully integrate all the factory features.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Diesel Head

I upgraded my 5.0 to the 8.4 Nav. and put the volume and channel switches on the steering wheel. 8.4 Nav I got a factory refurbished one for $650 and found a leather steering wheel with all controls on it like new for $140. Took 15 minutes to change out the nav radio and 30 minutes for the steering wheel. Shop around and find the stuff. It was all plug and play. There are also videos on changing out the steering wheel
sethster likes this.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4 CCLB
Aisin, 3.73 DRW 11 to 15MPG
2017 Canam Maverick XMR 1000R 11MPG
2016 Ford Fusion 32MPG
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
2011 Canam Commander 1000XT 12MPG
2010 John Deere 5083E Limited 1GPH
Sold: 2001 F350 4x4 7.3L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,607 Posts
I went aftermarket, first with a 7" screen kenwood, but I hated the nav on it, so I upgraded to an 8" screen alpine, which required their center stack faceplate for the large screen. It works really well, terrific nav with traffic, plus it has a built in CEL code reader, all connected to the truck systems with the iDatalink Maestro interface so all the steering wheel controls work. It also has a CD/DVD drive for music and video, which is not an option on the oem radios, and has an HDMI input that you can connect your phone through with the right setup, and three camera inputs.

It wasn't cheap, but it has been superceded with an even more expensive 9" screen unit now. I have about $1100 in it, but it is much better than the oem 8.4 radio.
sethster likes this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:01 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
I went aftermarket, first with a 7" screen kenwood, but I hated the nav on it, so I upgraded to an 8" screen alpine, which required their center stack faceplate for the large screen. It works really well, terrific nav with traffic, plus it has a built in CEL code reader, all connected to the truck systems with the iDatalink Maestro interface so all the steering wheel controls work. It also has a CD/DVD drive for music and video, which is not an option on the oem radios, and has an HDMI input that you can connect your phone through with the right setup, and three camera inputs.

It wasn't cheap, but it has been superceded with an even more expensive 9" screen unit now. I have about $1100 in it, but it is much better than the oem 8.4 radio.
This one?

Dodge RAM | X009-RAM | Alpine Canada

You're not joking that it's expensive.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud yapster View Post
I upgraded my 5.0 to the 8.4 Nav. and put the volume and channel switches on the steering wheel. 8.4 Nav I got a factory refurbished one for $650 and found a leather steering wheel with all controls on it like new for $140. Took 15 minutes to change out the nav radio and 30 minutes for the steering wheel. Shop around and find the stuff. It was all plug and play. There are also videos on changing out the steering wheel
Are you happy sticking with the factory system? Any regrets to the whole setup? Does it still speed-lock some settings like bluetooth connection etc?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:38 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud yapster View Post
Are you happy sticking with the factory system? Any regrets to the whole setup? Does it still speed-lock some settings like bluetooth connection etc?
I don't know what speed lock is but yes it hasn't missed a beat in 4 years. Bluetooth hooks right up and the sound is great. I did upgrade the OEM speakers to Kickers. I also was able to use the factory bezel that was in the so no extra expense on that either. Looks good and works good so far. My truck isn't my daily driver so it only has 38k miles on it so far. I put the 8.4 Nav in it not long after I bought it so it has been in there since my truck was new.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4 CCLB
Aisin, 3.73 DRW 11 to 15MPG
2017 Canam Maverick XMR 1000R 11MPG
2016 Ford Fusion 32MPG
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
2011 Canam Commander 1000XT 12MPG
2010 John Deere 5083E Limited 1GPH
Sold: 2001 F350 4x4 7.3L
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
The only thing Iíll suggest if you decide to go aftermarket, is to try to view one in direct sunlight from as close to the angle youíll see it in the truck. The kenwood unit I bought a few years back (dnx-692) has great garmin nav, sounds good, integrates effectively with the maestro, but I have two complaints. First, the dimmer function is notional only. Itís like a flare in the middle of the dashboard at night. Second, in my truck (rope colored interior on a resistol laramie), sunlight reflection off the seats makes it absolutely impossible to see anything on the screen in sunlight. It doesnít get brighter, the contrast is maxed out, and polarized sunglasses make it look like a leather-colored square in the middle of the dash. The necessity for a second xm antenna is annoying as well, but it was the only option at the time. I think the new maestro units can use the factory xm antenna. Also I have no ability to play sound in the truck from the rear dvd screen. But I have 9 and 3 year old girls, so I donít exactly count that as a bad thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, & a madly leaking radiator.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Diesel Freakazoid

Garage
You could always end up getting a tesla style radio if you want the biggest screen I was planning on doing something like this to get android auto, but i ended up finding a new 18 for a good price and bought that. If i had gotten a 17 or older, i planned on upgrading to something that does android auto, so i could use google maps or waze and always have updated (for free) maps.

2018 Ram 3500 Limited - Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 SRW Stock at the moment, but that will change

HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:11 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki223 View Post
You could always end up getting a tesla style radio if you want the biggest screen I was planning on doing something like this to get android auto, but i ended up finding a new 18 for a good price and bought that. If i had gotten a 17 or older, i planned on upgrading to something that does android auto, so i could use google maps or waze and always have updated (for free) maps.

https://www.amazon.com/LinksWell-201...CNGXNHG3RN5K7P
Someone on here said he tried one of those and it was terrible, glitchie.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Diesel Head

@sethster, I'd sell you my old kenwood 7" screen, along with the dash adapter pretty cheap. Radio and CD/DVD work great, sounds great, I personally just didn't like the garmin nav.

You would need to get the harness adapter and iDatalink Maestro to get it integrated into the truck electronics, but I have everything else.
sethster likes this.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
@sethster, I'd sell you my old kenwood 7" screen, along with the dash adapter pretty cheap. Radio and CD/DVD work great, sounds great, I personally just didn't like the garmin nav.

You would need to get the harness adapter and iDatalink Maestro to get it integrated into the truck electronics, but I have everything else.
PM Sent!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode