Oil change intervals - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Oil change intervals

This is my first cummins. What do you all recommend for oil change intervals?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:02 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I'm doing it by the book on my '16. 24,000 using synthetic and fleetguard filters.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:03 PM
Diesel Head

It's clearly spelled out in the manual.

But just between you and me, I don't change the oil every six months.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:08 PM
Cummins Nut

manual says every 6 months or 15,000 miles
if you wish to NOT follow that, it will VOID any warranty you have!

your call
IMO oil is still cheap as to other things , never known a motor to have issues having oil changed TOO often
but have the other way LOL

2016 2500 crew cab Big Horn, Cummins, short bed, 4x4 cap, SIlver in coler
My 10th or so 2500 dodge/ram, now!
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:27 PM
Diesel Head

Yes, the oil and filters aren't going to bankrupt anyone, but with four vehicles (all FCA, naturally) that "require" 6-month oil changes, it gets time consuming. I'd rather change the oil on some of the other ones that rightfully should be serviced.

Besides, it defies (my) logic to change the oil in the fall, then again in the spring, with zero miles but six months on it.

Also, what is so special about FCA's engines that the world as we know it will end (well, the warranty anyway) if the oil becomes over six months old?
I don't know of any other vehicles that require that interval, including high end Porsches.

And please explain to me why a Ram can sit on a dealer's lot for a year without needing an oil change, but the second you sign on the dotted line (become the owner), the clock starts and the oil MUST be changed every six months.
Jumpinjoe and Minnow101 like this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:40 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I change mine around 5-7k miles. Some say that’s to often but in my defense the new oil isn’t as good as old oil because of emissions. Older Cummins required 3-5k miles then 7500 oci. Now they say 15000 oci while they strip zinc and other minerals out of the oils to keep the emissions crap happy. Change it at 5 or 15 probably still last longer then you will keep the truck lol
Jimmy N. likes this.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:50 PM
Diesel Head

The worst part, I think, is that they allow up to 15,000 miles on the break-in oil.

I didn't mention it earlier, but while I won't change it just because six months have passed, I also change it the first time at about 1,500.
mrbb1, HeavyTwo and Lins like this.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:59 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Yes, the oil and filters aren't going to bankrupt anyone, but with four vehicles (all FCA, naturally) that "require" 6-month oil changes, it gets time consuming. I'd rather change the oil on some of the other ones that rightfully should be serviced.

Besides, it defies (my) logic to change the oil in the fall, then again in the spring, with zero miles but six months on it.

Also, what is so special about FCA's engines that the world as we know it will end (well, the warranty anyway) if the oil becomes over six months old?
I don't know of any other vehicles that require that interval, including high end Porsches.

And please explain to me why a Ram can sit on a dealer's lot for a year without needing an oil change, but the second you sign on the dotted line (become the owner), the clock starts and the oil MUST be changed every six months.
well the facts are a MAKER can stick any warranty requirements on there ITEM they wish, we all don't have to like it or understand it
its there Right to do so
if you don't care about keeping the warranty by following THERE requirements, then DON"T
this is YOUR right to do so!

the part about what magically make the NEW dealer vehicle different, is it is NOW a used vehicle
like it or not, the second you sign the papers its also worth less than the same NEW vehicles on the lot!
as it is NOW a used vehicle!
again doesn't maybe make any sense, but its there items and they can make the rules on them'
and well, NEW< VS used is a part of life
AIn;'t no one going to pay the same price for a USE "X" when they can buy a new one?
its maybe more a mind set thing, but Blue book and other tools, all call used, lesser value on its value!

the price of these new vehicles, they KNOW Most cannot afford to gamble and NOT follow warranty's, and also know MOST owners DON"T do there own PM"S
so it MAKES them more money to MAKE folks do oil changes at THERE Set numbers!
like most things in life, its about the mighty dollar way over LOGIC ever coming into play!
but also as in life, there are prices to be paid when you DON"T follow set rules,
be them speed limits(and who has always driven 25 in places where 35-40 is more realistic)
BUT get caught going over a speed limit, and what happens
YOU PAY THE PRICE

its life
lots of dumb rules at times, and Logic again, seems to be getting harder to find in things

2016 2500 crew cab Big Horn, Cummins, short bed, 4x4 cap, SIlver in coler
My 10th or so 2500 dodge/ram, now!
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 PM
Go Packers

Thanked 2,700 Times in 2,143 Posts
@Deadbuck You might find this helpful. You may be already aware of this site, but......,

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...rs-manual.html
Jimmy N. likes this.

2012 SLT 3500, CCLB, HO, SRW 4x2, 4.10s, 68RFE, Mineral Grey, Pacbrake air springs, Fumoto oil valve, Cat/Cummins Dual Filter kit, Edge CTS Monitor.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 PM
Diesel Head

Sounds like we basically agree on that the the 6-month rule is stupid.

I haven't seen any scientific proof whatsoever that warrants a 6-month change, so I'll stick with my theory that FCA is simply trying to get more people into their dealerships more often.

And since they seem to have a habit of creating new problems even doing something as menial as an oil change, that method makes sense. They're creating an exponentially growing flow of service customers.

They must hate people like me, doing things myself (and correctly) whenever possible. No revenue whatsoever after the sale.
Warranty void? There are very simple ways around that for me since I have receipts for both fluids and filters, which could be applied to whichever vehicle may need the proof.

On the other hand, they must love me. Because it would take something truly catastrophic before I would even consider taking any of my vehicles to a dealer for a repair under warranty.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:50 AM
Cummins Dude

Garage
I change my oil every 15,000 kms or 9,320 miles. I don’t make it to 6 months. Done religiously since I bought the truck.
I usually always have about 42% oil life left showing on the EViC when I drop it off for service.
I always looked at this truck possibly as my “forever” truck so that was the start of my reasoning regarding maintenance.

Probably overkill to some, but that’s the way I treat my truck.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CCSB SRW 4x4 6.7L CTD 370hp-800tq 68RFE 3:42's HID's XB LED Fogs Amp Steps Air Bags 5er Prep Anderson Ultimate Hitch
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbuck View Post
This is my first cummins. What do you all recommend?
The search feature. Seriously, tons and tons of info on this site for these trucks. You.....will....be...reading.....for.....weeksss.. ..........and you'll also be paranoid every time the trucks makes a weird noise now that your on this forum. Good luck.
Jumpinjoe likes this.

2015 Ram 2500-B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Tow and Stow, and a busted tail light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode