Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Opinions on best aftermarket Air filter

7K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Duelly Dad 
#1 ·
What cold air intakes have y’all tried and like upgrading from stock just wanted to see what everyone says

#3 ·
Stock is the way to go. Luckily, these trucks come with a fairly efficient system from the factory. But, if you do end up going with an aftermarket unit I'd suggest getting the S&B that has the paper/disposable filter. Regardless, stock will always filter better in addition to costing 1/3 as much to maintain properly.

#4 ·
The OEM air filter can support PLENTY of additional HP while still maintaining PLENTY of cold air flow, and ALSO while maintaning Cummins approved filtration quality simply because the OEM filter is made by Fleetguard, a Cummins subsidiary that provides all the necessary filters for any Cummins products.

It is important to note that the latter claim is something that NO other aftermarket air filter manufacturer can make!!!

#5 ·
After some research, this one is at the top of everyone's list.

The Segment-Exclusive Ram Active Air technology boosts performance by selecting 1 of 2 sources of air for the engine's intake to optimize engine performance in all conditions. The system will draw air through the grille, when conditions are normal or hot, and through the fender when conditions are wet or snowy.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm the kinda guy that does those " Basic " upgrades, like Intakes, exhaust, sparkplugs n wires, tires, and so on. I like to get any improvement I can, even if its only .001%. It adds up. So, if there is an intake out there that will improve performance, I would have bought it.

Most every factory intake I've seen was not as good as it could be. However, the OEM " Active Air " is one of the best intake systems I've seen, factory OR aftermarket.

The Active Air system uses a door to switch between frontal and fender air. It also uses an " upper" filter design, there is a basin below the filter. If water enters one of the inlets, the water will settle and drain on the bottom. Obviously the truck is not a boat, and driving through enough water will put a rod out the block. But this " upper " design is a very good one.

Can the factory intake system be improved? I personally think so.

The issues are the programming of the door and the downpipe to the turbo. And maybe the inlet openings if your pushing lots of power or getting those RPM's over safe numbers.

As odd as it seems, there are those that don't like Tubro Whistle. So RAM designed the downpipe so it is quieter. They also used a "part" to streamline the airflow in the turbo. Personally, I would like to see a new composite downpipe that works with the factory intake box.

On the programming, RAM set it to take air from the fender by default. Only under certain conditions will the door switch to the frontal air. My tests showed it was very rare for the door to switch positions. It should default to the frontal air source, and switch to fender in select weather conditions. Example, when it rains or snows, it should pull from the fender. I was working on a " middle " man device that would keep the door open to the frontal air. Then, using a moisture sensor, switch to the fender air.

But honestly, the factory system is about as good as it gets. Any current aftermarket solution is equal at best. The only real benefits will be the sound, and that is worth it :)

Just avoid fake CAI systems that are really Hot Air Intake systems. If the filter open in the engine bay, that is a HOT AIR Intake. If any of the air plumpings is metal, that preheats the air and is not good. If the system uses metal walls to " protect " filter, that's just an oven to heat the air up.

#8 ·
I spend my money on new, clean Mopar filter elements. If I wanted more performance I would spend the money on 4.10's in the diffs.

#11 ·
There have been several posts of people who switched out to an after market cold air intake because its all the internet rage only to find poor performance and actually put the factory box back in. Now if you had a much older truck then the factory one might not be best.

#12 ·
Just picked up an S&B for my truck. And it's been a week and so far so good. Can't give you performance opinion yet. But easy install and nice looking setup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I’m staying with the stock box system, I did change to a Airaid dry pleated gauze Filter in the box and there tube from the turbo to the air box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.