Opinions on best aftermarket Air filter - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Opinions on best aftermarket Air filter

What cold air intakes have y’all tried and like upgrading from stock just wanted to see what everyone says

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Stock is best, and avoid the k&n filters unless you like polishing the inside of your motor 😂
J.R.R., Jimmy N. and Wowegner like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Stock is the way to go. Luckily, these trucks come with a fairly efficient system from the factory. But, if you do end up going with an aftermarket unit I'd suggest getting the S&B that has the paper/disposable filter. Regardless, stock will always filter better in addition to costing 1/3 as much to maintain properly.

18' 2500 4X4 CCSB Lone Star Silver Edition (GrayCe)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:03 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 15 reviews
The OEM air filter can support PLENTY of additional HP while still maintaining PLENTY of cold air flow, and ALSO while maintaning Cummins approved filtration quality simply because the OEM filter is made by Fleetguard, a Cummins subsidiary that provides all the necessary filters for any Cummins products.

It is important to note that the latter claim is something that NO other aftermarket air filter manufacturer can make!!!
Jimmy N. and Wowegner like this.

2005 SLT 4x4 QC LB G56, GDP horn, HDCAI, SBC ConOFE,
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Cummins Fanatic

After some research, this one is at the top of everyone's list.

The Segment-Exclusive Ram Active Air technology boosts performance by selecting 1 of 2 sources of air for the engine's intake to optimize engine performance in all conditions. The system will draw air through the grille, when conditions are normal or hot, and through the fender when conditions are wet or snowy.
Attached Images

2015 SLT 3500 CC 68/3.42 SRW Ashtray Delete / EVIC Metric System Deletes 4X4 Bright White with tongue firmly in cheek
The Following User Says Thank You to Drle For This Useful Post:
honestcharlie56 (09-19-2019)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:55 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark1085 View Post
What cold air intakes have y’all tried and like upgrading from stock just wanted to see what everyone says
Aren't you glad you asked?
But if you do find an upgrade, by all means let us all know about it, please.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:00 PM
Diesel Freak

I'm the kinda guy that does those " Basic " upgrades, like Intakes, exhaust, sparkplugs n wires, tires, and so on. I like to get any improvement I can, even if its only .001%. It adds up. So, if there is an intake out there that will improve performance, I would have bought it.

Most every factory intake I've seen was not as good as it could be. However, the OEM " Active Air " is one of the best intake systems I've seen, factory OR aftermarket.

The Active Air system uses a door to switch between frontal and fender air. It also uses an " upper" filter design, there is a basin below the filter. If water enters one of the inlets, the water will settle and drain on the bottom. Obviously the truck is not a boat, and driving through enough water will put a rod out the block. But this " upper " design is a very good one.

Can the factory intake system be improved? I personally think so.

The issues are the programming of the door and the downpipe to the turbo. And maybe the inlet openings if your pushing lots of power or getting those RPM's over safe numbers.

As odd as it seems, there are those that don't like Tubro Whistle. So RAM designed the downpipe so it is quieter. They also used a "part" to streamline the airflow in the turbo. Personally, I would like to see a new composite downpipe that works with the factory intake box.

On the programming, RAM set it to take air from the fender by default. Only under certain conditions will the door switch to the frontal air. My tests showed it was very rare for the door to switch positions. It should default to the frontal air source, and switch to fender in select weather conditions. Example, when it rains or snows, it should pull from the fender. I was working on a " middle " man device that would keep the door open to the frontal air. Then, using a moisture sensor, switch to the fender air.

But honestly, the factory system is about as good as it gets. Any current aftermarket solution is equal at best. The only real benefits will be the sound, and that is worth it

Just avoid fake CAI systems that are really Hot Air Intake systems. If the filter open in the engine bay, that is a HOT AIR Intake. If any of the air plumpings is metal, that preheats the air and is not good. If the system uses metal walls to " protect " filter, that's just an oven to heat the air up.

2014 RAM HD. Cummins 6.7 364.5SXE Turbo. EZLynk Tuned. Straight piped. Air-Ride.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:17 AM
Diesel Head

I spend my money on new, clean Mopar filter elements. If I wanted more performance I would spend the money on 4.10's in the diffs.

2014 White Laramie 2500 CCSB 4x4, 6.7, Keyless go, buckets, Romik steps, Michelin Defender 295-70-18 tires, Snugtop Supersport. Big spoiled Bernese Mtn dog in the back seat. Wind River 250RDSW bumper pull TT (31ft, 7K LBS.) 2003 2500 4x4 5.9 best ever, SOLD.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Oem
Wowegner likes this.

'18 3500 Mega Aisin, Carli suspended
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

’13 3500 CCLB Aisin, Carli suspended
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 2500 Mega, Carli suspended
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:30 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Overall stock is better for the long term, aftermarket filters are good when CLEAN. See my video discussing S&Bs own test results.

2018 Ram 2500 Limited Tungsten Edition, CTD
2017 Ford F-350 King Ranch CCSB, PSD
2016 Ram 2500 Longhorn CCSB. CTD
2011 Ram 2500 CCSB Big Horn, CTD
1999 Dodge Ram 2500, CTD
1988 Chevy 2500
1979 Chevy K10 Scottsdale
1975 GMC half ton

Last edited by 99dodge; 09-21-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Diesel Head

There have been several posts of people who switched out to an after market cold air intake because its all the internet rage only to find poor performance and actually put the factory box back in. Now if you had a much older truck then the factory one might not be best.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:00 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgoode View Post
There have been several posts of people who switched out to an after market cold air intake because its all the internet rage only to find poor performance and actually put the factory box back in. Now if you had a much older truck then the factory one might not be best.
Just picked up an S&B for my truck. And it's been a week and so far so good. Can't give you performance opinion yet. But easy install and nice looking setup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

"Silver Tuna" - 2014 RAM 2500 - Crew Cab - 4x4
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - PC Throttle Booster - AirRaid Intake - iBoard 5" Steps - RC Steering Brace - RC Black Series 20 LED bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode