Safest power on stock truck for longevity? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Safest power on stock truck for longevity?

Hi all,

First post! I might could have found some answers to this, but the search function is not currently working, I get a submission error.

Anyway, I have my EZ Link Tuner, Anarchy 5 tune pack, full exhaust and egr delete ready to install. I'm primarily doing all of this to have a smoother transmission and prolong the life of the drivetrain. A boost to fuel economy and power addition are secondary factors to me. Everything else on the truck is stock and will stay that way for the most part. Suspension, wheels and tires are the only other modifications I will do in the future.

So my question is, which tune should I choose to give me the most longevity? Let's go ahead and establish that the more you beat on any vehicle the faster it will wear parts out, that's a given. So maybe I should ask, is there a power level I should avoid that is known to break something early?

Thank you so much!

Wowegner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I don't think you need to worry too much with that set up. Let your right foot be your guide.

03 Dodge SHO QCLB Dually w/Custom side exit exhaust-Banks intercooler-4" side draft intake-Thuren 3.0 Argon filled Shocks-radius arms-SRW 4 link Conversion-17"methods-42" Squishy's- 4.56's-Griffin Radiator-elec fans & water pump=25.263 mpg legit.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:46 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,720 Times in 916 Posts
Safest power on stock truck for longevity?

I'm sorry, but this seems like a rhetorical question. The truck is designed to run and last a long time stock. Many individuals get multiple 100k's of miles out of them completely stock. If you want it to last longer than that, then run less than stock power and don't flog it.

Short answer:
My guess would be the lowest power setting and drive like you have a brain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
7492, Dogpatch and cjgoode like this.

2013-2500 Laramie 4x4-CC-Long Box-Auto-3:42
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,269 Posts
You didn’t increase the longevity of your truck by any means from deleting. You actually decrease longevity by doing suspension wheels and tires. No tune will give you the most longevity. The narrative of “deleting so my truck lasts a long time” is inaccurate and unfortunately has spread so far and wide these days that it’s regarded as truth.

Let’s just establish that before we proceed any further.

The only thing you gain from deleting is more power, transmission tuning, and marginal fuel economy. The ONLY way you increase the longevity is by keeping it stock, doing regular maintenance, and driving responsibly. Deleting your 6.7 never has and never will increase longevity, it ONLY removes future problems with emission components, which has nothing to do with the lifespan of your motor or transmission.
Don_T, ncolz, Dogpatch and 2 others like this.

'14 6.7 S465
'17 6.7
'18 6.7 S467.7
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Diesel Head

But to answer your question- level 5 and stay below WOT is just fine. Once you throw the suspension and tires on there, no tuning will prolong the life of your drivetrain, only a gear swap.

'14 6.7 S465
'17 6.7
'18 6.7 S467.7
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,609 Posts
Plus, he hasn't told us what truck exactly.

But, yes, stock gives best longevity.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Light tow tune and you should be good to go.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Sorry guys, could not go back to 3.42's... 2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 CC LT 6.6L (L5P)
2015 Ram 2500 CC 6.7L (sold) / 2014 Ram 2500 CC 6.4L 3.73 (traded) / 2007.5 Ram 2500 MC SLT 6.7L (traded)
/ '04.5 Ram 2500 QC SLT 5.9L (traded)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:56 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick00less View Post
You didn’t increase the longevity of your truck by any means from deleting. You actually decrease longevity by doing suspension wheels and tires. No tune will give you the most longevity. The narrative of “deleting so my truck lasts a long time” is inaccurate and unfortunately has spread so far and wide these days that it’s regarded as truth.

Let’s just establish that before we proceed any further.

The only thing you gain from deleting is more power, transmission tuning, and marginal fuel economy. The ONLY way you increase the longevity is by keeping it stock, doing regular maintenance, and driving responsibly. Deleting your 6.7 never has and never will increase longevity, it ONLY removes future problems with emission components, which has nothing to do with the lifespan of your motor or transmission.
I have to disagree with you on this. Yes the new 6.7 are good even with emissions on. That being said, sending exhaust gasses back into the intake is not good for the motor. Won’t kill it but the motor would be a lot happier breathing 100% clean air. The other emissions ( def and dpf ) are just restrictions and don’t really hurt the motor. Just can be a pain if you don’t do long trips in the truck or let it regenerate like it should. That’s why drd is offering egr less emissions on tunes. Leaves all the tree hugging crap on and intact minus the egr.
Wowegner likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhr View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. Yes the new 6.7 are good even with emissions on. That being said, sending exhaust gasses back into the intake is not good for the motor. Wonít kill it but the motor would be a lot happier breathing 100% clean air. The other emissions ( def and dpf ) are just restrictions and donít really hurt the motor. Just can be a pain if you donít do long trips in the truck or let it regenerate like it should. Thatís why drd is offering egr less emissions on tunes. Leaves all the tree hugging crap on and intact minus the egr.
I agree. Motors love clean 100% air thatís free of any and all matter (aka soot). Hell I deleted. Not for longevity but for fun and power that these trucks lack, in my opinion.

However Iíve yet to hear of someone say their (6.7) engine failed because of exhaust gasses being recirculated.

Less efficient, sure. Dirty, absolutely. Not breathing as clean and running as optimally as it could, yes.

However I have yet to see an engine fail from recirculating gasses. Only emission components fail.

'14 6.7 S465
'17 6.7
'18 6.7 S467.7
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:13 PM
Diesel Head

The people with the highest millage trucks seem to be all stock. And the few problems they have had that we know about, do not seem to be related to emissions. This excuse to delete for longevity is a farce. Better pedal response, more power, better acceleration are about the only valid reasons to delete, and none play well into longevity. But delete and drive it like a normal person and you will not have any problem and will have no impact on longevity. But we have all ready the posts where someone cranked up the HP to show off or see what it can really do and what it does is break something, your tune is overriding the power management safety built in to protect components and give you that longevity.
nick00less likes this.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:31 PM
Diesel Head

^^^what he said.
@diesly I don’t mean to be a wet blanket. By all means enjoy your truck and have fun.

'14 6.7 S465
'17 6.7
'18 6.7 S467.7
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:45 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Egr coolers cracking and def pump, injector, heater and bad fluid and the biggest issues. I've done multiple coolers between 80 and 90k miles seems to be the magic failure number. As long as you catch the coolant loss in time you wont have catastrophic engine damage. Tuned or not, turbo actuator, water pump, batteries, tires, alternator, y pipes on dual rad trucks are the normal maintenance items
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode