Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Drag Link Recall Question

12K views 68 replies 27 participants last post by  Cummins2014 
#1 ·
So I have an appointment on Monday to get this recall done. I called the dealer several months ago to get on the waiting list for when parts were available. I never heard from them. I called a couple weeks ago and coincidentally I was going to get a call that week :hehe: . Anyway they set me up with an appointment. I called today to ask a couple questions about the 30k mile service I also had scheduled and she mentioned something about 'welding' for the recall. Admittedly, I thought I was going in for the tail gate recall but apparently I already had that done. So many damn recalls I can't keep track. So after looking into it more I realized how stupid this whole thing is. According to the dealer there isn't a fix for it yet, just a band-aid to get us by which is the weld. If I understand correctly, they are going to check and see if its loose, if it is they are going to replace it with the same exact drag link then weld the nut in place? And if its not loose they will tighten it and then weld it? Or regardless they are going to weld whats on there? I cant get a straight answer from the dealer or FCA

I called the FCA customer service and talked with them. I asked if they would reimburse me if I ordered and installed an aftermarket drag link like Synergy and they said no. I asked if they had a replacement drag link in the works and she said no. All she said was that if they came out with a replacement, then at that time I could get is replaced but could not confirm that would ever happen. Has anyone heard differently??? So basically they said this is our fix for the recall. If this wasn't a part that supposed to be adjustable then I wouldn't care but it is. Who has had mopar reimburse them for the synergy drag link?? My argument for them was; if there isn't a replacement part AND your're telling me that there isn't one being designed then why wouldn't you reimburse me for an actual fix? Welding the nut is a piss poor fix and frankly is laughable to say it is. Loctite would do just as good and I wouldn't have to have someone grind the weld away to adjust the steering if I had to. I am half tempted to have the Synergy one installed and try and get it reimbursed. But I want to know if anyone has actually had it done or not? Iv'e seen people say they are trying but not confirmed that I know of.

Thank you for the help

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
Pretty much. Sorry for starting a new thread. Mostly I'm just venting. Ill most likely just get the recall done and cleared then buy the synergy one on my next alignment

#7 ·
Yea I had my welded and when I called the other day to set up for my bed recall, I asked the dealer who welded my drag link what the process was to get an alignment. They said, I bring it to them, the cut the weld and align them re weld, I asked what I do if I go to another shop, he said they have to cut it and realign it, or I can bring it to them prior to get it cut and re welded. I asked if it was free or a charge, he told me the initial recall was free, any cutting and welding after is charged. He also told me
He’s heard of no permanent fix and that this was fca fix

#9 ·
FCA customer service told me today there isn’t a fix in the works as of right now.

I’m just trying to figure out if I should postpone my appointment and get a synergy drag link installed then try to get reimbursed or just get it done first, then try. Either way it sounds like its a zero percent chance to get it reimbursed

#13 ·
FYI There is a OEM replacement which is on my truck which is I believe is on the 2019 and later trucks . I refused to let them weld on my truck and did not like the weld fix , I wrote a letter to FCA CEO
with my concerns and surprisingly got response , created what is called a star repair order, new link is adjustable .

#15 ·
My truck came with, and needs an adjustable drag link. That's what I paid for. Either replace it with an adjustable one or refund me the cost of one. Simple.

Reactions: cjgoode and 007Poke
#16 ·
Maybe the solution to all this could be found in a fourth lengthy thread on the subject?
Somebody should start a new one.

Meanwhile, my stock '17 drag link is working just fine...in its un-welded, non-reimbursed, and untouched by dealer hands, state.

#17 ·
Same with my ‘17 drag link. Works good and no issues. Hasn’t been welded either.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
#18 ·
Mine wasn't giving me any problems either, after I loctited the nuts. But ever since one nut backed off when nearly new and I saw how loose the threads were, how poor of a fit it was, I had been waiting for the recall. And there were reports of steering wheels being off by 90 degrees all of a sudden due to the drag link end(s) pulling straight out of the sleeve. I, personally, did not like trusting my life to something so poorly made.

#19 ·
I submitted my claim for the synergy drag link. I ordered it in May, it was back ordered. Installed it July 21, submitted the reimbursement request Aug 19, got the check last week Sept 9.

I did have to call Ram, you cannot do it online anymore. They took my information very politely. Sent me an email requesting the documents. I sent them a copy of my Morris 4x4 order that showed paid with a credit card at the bottom. They reimbursed me for the drag link and the synergy grease for it. I installed it myself. For $300 even if they did not reimburse me, it was worth the money.

When I took mine off, for kicks I loosened the two jam nuts, which were real tight. The jam nuts are nice and snug on the threads. The adjustment sleeve is incredibly loose, its so loose I would not trust those tack welds, at least for how loose mine was. Maybe mine would not have passed the torque test.

Many have been told welding is the permanent fix, other say told it is not. There is no official publication saying its not, and they close the recall. So it would take a new recall to replace them all, and if that was the plan they would open it now. They opened the water pump recall knowing no parts would be available for months.

You can sign up on the mopar website with your vin. Its free even without uconnect. You can log all your maintenance into their app and also see any dealer work done. It also will list all your recalls and which ones are complete and still open. They removed a lot of functionality if you do not have uconnect, I guess to try and sell it. Its still nice place to use without u connect.

#20 ·
What happened when you tried to submit online? Were you unable to submit or did it reject your submission? I went to https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html , put in my VIN, looked up the recall (which is still "incomplete" on my truck even though it is done and they reimbursed me), clicked on the "reimbursement" button for the recall, put in my VIN again, and it looked like I would be able to enter everything and submit it. I did not go any further because I have already done it. When I used the portal for my reimbursement, the site came up blank using Safari on my Mac and using IE and Edge on a PC. I believe it was Chrome that worked. Safari also seems to work if the development tools are on and you are "inspecting" the page as it loads.

#21 ·
Once you put in all your information and upload your documents you cannot submit it because there is a fix to the recall available now. So I could not enter a fix date before the purchase date, that would be a red flag. It gave me a phone number to call so I called it. Yes their web site is very temperamental, sometimes the second page after vin would come up, sometimes not. 1-800-853-1403 is the number I called.

#25 ·
The problem with yet another thread is that far for everybody will participate and state the same things, once again.
That leaves out some good information.

Fresh opinions? Okay, some of those could be interesting to read, but no matter what they are they won't change any of the facts. And those have been discussed as nauseam already.

When I first learned about the recall, I checked the jam nuts on our Rams. They were all tight, and thankfully the sleeve's threads were not as sloppy as some here on CF has experienced. Actually, they weren't sloppy at all.
So I tightened everything back up and things have been fine since.

Yes, I will get a '19-up drag link at some point, but it's not high on my list.

But maybe a "How do I get reimbursed?" thread would be in order? Since the reimbursement procedure is an entirely different issue from the drag link itself, that's where a new thread could serve an actual purpose.

#26 ·
Sorry to start a firestorm of “why did you create a new thread on this topic” answers . I started it because I read thru about 30 pages and didn’t get some of the answers I’ve gotten here. Thank you

#30 ·
I am starting to wonder about Synergy. One of the boots on my new drag link, the one up at the pitman arm, ripped 4 weeks or more ago. It was not from external damage or over-greasing. I am concerned it is going to be an ongoing problem. On top of that, I ordered a couple of replacement boots nearly a month ago and have heard absolutely nothing back from them. I tried calling them the past two days and get sent to voicemail. I used their contact form on their site yesterday and have heard nothing back. In the mean time, dust and dirt and water has been free to get into the joint for 4 weeks. I am not a happy camper.

#33 ·
I heard they put a stop to that a while back. Anyone been reimbursed in the past couple of weeks?

#32 ·
1.) Can you imagine the massive amount of $$$ Synergy is making off FCA's incompetence.

2.) I guess you can add Gates to the list too since the first thing I did when I got the water pump recall was call Geno's and have them send me a Gates pump.

3.) Hey @drave199 I like your post #28.
On a GPS forum I use saying "thanks" to a member in a thread will get you banned!

Love Cumminsforum.com for the relaxed admin here. :thumbsup:
And now back to drag-link issues. . .
-Ej-

#36 ·
Many trucks on this forum failed the test. I'd say the majority including my own, just from the research I've done on here. If u haven't already, I'd throw the Synergy on and be done with it. Got FCA to pay for mine plus install and alignment (They actually sent me ~$5 more than the total for whatever reason, very un-FCA of them). But that was awhile back, roughly a month after the V06 recall was first introduced. Not sure what the policy is now.

#51 · (Edited)
Myself. Getting the link off the pitman arm was the hardest part. I don't have a proper tool for it. A quick rap with a sufficient hammer on the steering knuckle got the other side loose. I didn't want to hammer on the pitman arm so I used a puller (one that didn't quite fit). Someone else may be able to recommend the proper tool.

Adjusting it to the proper length was trial and error: get it close, take a drive on roads with various crowns, readjust, repeat until satisfied, tighten it down fully when done. It will be better than any shop will adjust it.

#53 ·
Awesome because I planned on replacing drag link, track bar and tie rod. So was seeing if they reimbursed you if you did the work yourself. Did they reimburse the price you paid for it or a percentage of the cost? I appreciate the feedback. Its crazy they just welded it to fix the problem

#52 ·
The shop that installed my Synergy drag link did not install the boot retaining clips on the pitman arm side - so a greasy looking link on that end - boots are in good shape on both sides and I have no issues with the part itself - I am getting a tiny low speed steering wheel clunk which I think is contamination in the joint on the pitman arm side (the one that doesnt have clips on the boot) - the boots themselves have held up great

I ordered 2 new tie rod ends from Synergy just to cover my bases and will get them replaced tomorrow (both of them I made sure the clips were installed on the boots this time) and it will be the proven diesel shop in our area this time (who installed my Thuren suspension) and not some back alley tire shop that I got it initially installed at.

They are going to realign to Thuren specs and I'm confident it will be worth the time and money spent to fix the drag link right. I would have no problem purchasing the updated OEM drag link as well, but the Synergy seems to be working fine for me and I was one of the lucky ones who got reimbursed for it -

#56 ·
There is about a .0000001% chance they will reimburse you for a synergy drag link now. Best bet is to get in touch with Ram Cares and request the new version of the drag link, they should set you up with a replacement.

So, Have you received your QR code Sticker that we Supposed to Apply to this BS manufactured Defect, Corrected by WELDING on RAM Trucks that we paid Nearly $70,000. Our Government, NHTSA, Big Surprise has Failed us again;RAM has also Failed us by not Producing a Correct Replacement Part. With this Fiasc, AND of course the ABS Issue, my Next Truck will Probably NOT be a RAM/MOPAR Vehicle.
just wanting to Vent a Little.