Regen Frequency - Page 10 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #109 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:57 AM
P2609 Fanatic

Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,017 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
FWIW my truck doesnt regen either. I'm no mechanic but this is the way I figure it...

I seldom run unloaded and do 90% highway driving.
My post turbo EGT's pretty much stay between 800F to 900F.

It is my assumption that when the Cummins engine is run under the conditions that it was truly designed to operate under it runs clean enough (hot enough) to not need raw fuel dumped into the exhaust system (a regen) in an attempt to simulate proper EGT's to burn off soot, thus when properly loaded regens do not occur.

I monitor regen status and pre & post DPF temperatures with a CTS2 mounted on the console.
Truck info is in signature.
-Ej-

Jimmy N. likes this.

2016 Longhorn 3500 4x4 short-bed in Pearl White.
Cummins HO, AISIN, CrewCab, SRW, Ride-Rite remote rear air suspension, Edge CTS2, plus the typical after-market bolt-on crap.
> Reduced current grid heater mod w/all emissions intact.<
*Hauling a 2017 Northstar Arrow-U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #110 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

6000 miles on mine, never had a regen to my knowledge.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
post #111 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,655 Posts
These trucks do their regeneration process all the time, but they do not give any indication of it happening, except when the DPF gets close to full. Normal regeneration is how the system maintains the health of the DPF, and goes unseen, without notification.

And, there are two types of regeneration, active and passive. Active is when the ecm directs the system to inject extra fuel to greatly increase the ehat in the DPF to burn off the soot, passive is when normal operation raises the temp in the DPF to burn off the soot, this happens under heavy steady state work loads, like towing/hauling heavy at highway speeds for long distances.

So, just because you've never seen any message pop up, doesn't mean that regeneration hasn't happened, it's an ongoing process.
Dogpatch, Jimmy N. and Gr8bawana like this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
These trucks do their regeneration process all the time, but they do not give any indication of it happening, except when the DPF gets close to full. Normal regeneration is how the system maintains the health of the DPF, and goes unseen, without notification.

And, there are two types of regeneration, active and passive. Active is when the ecm directs the system to inject extra fuel to greatly increase the ehat in the DPF to burn off the soot, passive is when normal operation raises the temp in the DPF to burn off the soot, this happens under heavy steady state work loads, like towing/hauling heavy at highway speeds for long distances.

So, just because you've never seen any message pop up, doesn't mean that regeneration hasn't happened, it's an ongoing process.
I appreciate the education in the regen process. To clarify, I've never had an active regen due to the reasons you mentioned.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
post #113 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:04 AM
P2609 Fanatic

Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
To clarify, I've never had an active regen due to the reasons you mentioned.
Just curious but... How would you know if/when active regen occurs?

2016 Longhorn 3500 4x4 short-bed in Pearl White.
Cummins HO, AISIN, CrewCab, SRW, Ride-Rite remote rear air suspension, Edge CTS2, plus the typical after-market bolt-on crap.
> Reduced current grid heater mod w/all emissions intact.<
*Hauling a 2017 Northstar Arrow-U.
post #114 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
Just curious but... How would you know if/when active regen occurs?
Isnt there an EVIC warning that says "drive normally at highway speeds for 45 miles" or something like that?

post #115 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
Just curious but... How would you know if/when active regen occurs? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smilies-2008/confused013.gif[/IMG]
Isnt there an EVIC warning that says "drive normally at highway speeds for 45 miles" or something like that?
Not normally. Only if you’re driving style causes the DPF to get extremely full.
Electrojake likes this.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
post #116 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:47 AM
Cummins Dude

Garage
The two signs I notice is engine makes a slightly different sound and the smell of the regen cycle. You may miss it if you travel a lot on the highway when it occurs, but you sure know it in the City when it does. Once you recognize it, you’ll know it.
The more highway miles, or constant rpm, or as some have suggested under load, the less it needs to regen.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CCSB SRW 4x4 6.7L CTD 370hp-800tq 68RFE 3:42's HID's XB LED Fogs BD TSB Amp Steps Air Bags 5er Prep Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode