Not so brite - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Not so brite

Ok I have a 2018 Laramie with the upgraded headlights. Iím wanting to know what bulb would be brighter than factory. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99FC1F7D-290C-4805-9FC6-B483BE4F4457.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	498.6 KB
ID:	856351  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Supporting Vendors

Our customers have had some great luck out of the supernova led lights for your truck. Shoot me a message and ill get you some details.
cumminsdieselfreak likes this.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email us at:
[email protected]

The Following User Says Thank You to Dudes Diesel Performance For This Useful Post:
Jumpinjoe (09-11-2019)
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Cummins Fanatic

i did the morimoto hid and am really happy with them had some cheapys in originally they didnt stay in long as always had issues with bulb and ballast
Dogpatch likes this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ritchie1087 For This Useful Post:
Jumpinjoe (09-11-2019), ODIEUB (09-12-2019), Paulo123 (09-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:26 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpinjoe View Post
Ok I have a 2018 Laramie with the upgraded headlights. Iím wanting to know what bulb would be brighter than factory. Thanks
Philips Xtreme Vision 9005ís
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy07 For This Useful Post:
Jumpinjoe (09-11-2019)
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy07 View Post
Philips Xtreme Vision 9005ís
Iím looking for something that I can take my bulb out and plug another one in. Also bulbs to match for in my fog lights.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpinjoe View Post
Iím looking for something that I can take my bulb out and plug another one in. Also bulbs to match for in my fog lights.
Yup, thatís a direct replacement (brighter) for the bulb you already have. Unplug old bulb, plug in new bulb. 9145 are your fogs. Not sure if philips makes an Xtreme vision version.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy07 For This Useful Post:
Jumpinjoe (09-12-2019)
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:58 AM
Diesel Freak

The stock projectors on these trucks are really disappointing.
You might want to try halogen 9011s for a noticeable quick and easy upgrade to your stock projector head lights. All you need to do is trim one of the tabs & they plug in. No Canbus or AphaOBD necessary. Follow this link for instructions. https://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html
Not as bright as HIDs but a very noticeable improvement over the stock bulbs. Enough so that Iím not in a hurry to install HIDs.
Jumpinjoe and MSquare like this.

2017, 3500 4x4 DRW CC 6.7 Aisin 3.73s, Aluminum Flatbed, CTS2, Luverne steps, Titan fuel tank, ATI Auxillary fuel tank & Airlift Wireless Bags
The Following User Says Thank You to 07Dually For This Useful Post:
Jumpinjoe (09-12-2019)
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Cummins Dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Dually View Post
The stock projectors on these trucks are really disappointing.
You might want to try halogen 9011s for a noticeable quick and easy upgrade to your stock projector head lights. All you need to do is trim one of the tabs & they plug in. No Canbus or AphaOBD necessary. Follow this link for instructions. https://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html
Not as bright as HIDs but a very noticeable improvement over the stock bulbs. Enough so that I’m not in a hurry to install HIDs.
I don’t understand anyone’s desire to have inferior headlights or the reluctance to change to HIDs.

Maybe they cost a little more, but in changing your bulbs alone, you have done most of the same work as the HID install except install the ballasts and a couple of cables.

The difference is night and day!

I’m sorry but no matter what Halogen bulb you use, although maybe slightly better, they are still pathetic.
In the darker photo, my iPhone could barely pick up the light in front of the truck with halogens.
I hated driving at night.
Next photo, although winter, with the HIDs installed I found it to be about 1,000% improvement.

Just my opinion and experience after the changeover.
I put in Morimoto 35 Watt ballasts and Morimoto 4300k bulbs.
Cost me 3 hours time, $271 in Canadian Dollars. Difference in light....Monumental!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	057ECABE-C603-4AD5-B835-1AF0AB528357.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	856397   Click image for larger version

Name:	4F917137-BFD6-4D37-AFBF-2BD4F026394E.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	856399  

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CCSB SRW 4x4 6.7L CTD 370hp-800tq 68RFE 3:42's HID's XB LED Fogs Amp Steps Air Bags 5er Prep Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Last edited by Dogpatch; 09-12-2019 at 10:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogpatch For This Useful Post:
Jumpinjoe (09-12-2019)
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I agree with Dogpatch. Don't waste your time just trying to find a slightly better bulb to replace the sub-par factory ones. Do yourself the favor and install a good HID setup and you will be amazed at how much better you can see. I went from not being able to see over 2-300 ft in front of the truck with high beams to seeing over 1/4 mi with the HID setup. Low beam performance is greatly improved as well.
Jimmy N. likes this.

2016 PW Longhorn Mega- Deleted, 4" with muffler, Stage 3 ATS 68RFE, upgraded headlights, Thuren Overland Extreme suspension, 35" Toyo OC MT's
The Following User Says Thank You to frankss For This Useful Post:
Jumpinjoe (09-12-2019)
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Cummins Fan

I use the HIR's from candle power. $40 bucks and 20 minutes. They are better than 9005.
The Following User Says Thank You to dstraps For This Useful Post:
Jumpinjoe (09-12-2019)
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:29 PM
Cummins Nut

My main problem with going with a higher quality halogen light is that they generate more heat and they burn up quicker. A few years ago I had a buddy that was literally going through a set of Silvania Silverstars every year, no kidding. I finally convinced him to go HID and he NEVER regretted the decision. I started out with the stock halogens in my stock projectors and they were putrid at best. I then upgraded to LED as I figured being a newer technology and easier install than HID would be the way to go. I saw no difference in output vs stock halogens, just a cooler color. After doing some research I found several reputable lighting companies that sell both LED & HID prove that the output of the LEDs in our projector housings is actually less than the output of the stock halogens! I threw my high end $250 LED kit in the garbage and went with the Morimoto 35W HID kit and was blown away. Light output is incredible compared to stock and LEDs. Don't waste your time going the route I did, just do HIDs and be done with it. Don't scrimp out on the kit either, there is absolutely a difference between knock-off HIDs and Morimotos. There is no cutting or custom wiring work needed, simply order the full kit from Retroshop, plug it in to your factory wiring, connect the relays to the battery, and mount the ballasts. If you can change a tire you can install an HID kit, don't be intimidated.
Dogpatch and Jimmy N. like this.

2018 2500 Tradesman CTD Maximum Steel CC 4X4 - Traxda 1.5" "level", 20x9 +18 Mayhem Rampage, 275/65r20 Conti A/Ts, OEM projectors w/HIDs, OEM LED tails, nFab steps, BakFlip G2, BD Throttle Booster
The Following User Says Thank You to Jpalmer For This Useful Post:
Jumpinjoe (09-12-2019)
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpalmer View Post
My main problem with going with a higher quality halogen light is that they generate more heat and they burn up quicker. A few years ago I had a buddy that was literally going through a set of Silvania Silverstars every year, no kidding. I finally convinced him to go HID and he NEVER regretted the decision. I started out with the stock halogens in my stock projectors and they were putrid at best. I then upgraded to LED as I figured being a newer technology and easier install than HID would be the way to go. I saw no difference in output vs stock halogens, just a cooler color. After doing some research I found several reputable lighting companies that sell both LED & HID prove that the output of the LEDs in our projector housings is actually less than the output of the stock halogens! I threw my high end $250 LED kit in the garbage and went with the Morimoto 35W HID kit and was blown away. Light output is incredible compared to stock and LEDs. Don't waste your time going the route I did, just do HIDs and be done with it. Don't scrimp out on the kit either, there is absolutely a difference between knock-off HIDs and Morimotos. There is no cutting or custom wiring work needed, simply order the full kit from Retroshop, plug it in to your factory wiring, connect the relays to the battery, and mount the ballasts. If you can change a tire you can install an HID kit, don't be intimidated.

No issues with flicker in winter or any other time?

Do they make a kit for the fogs so they match? I like the idea of not having to cut into wiring. I also donít want blue lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode