Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   2013-2018 General Discussion (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/)
-   -   Not so brite (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/2511039-not-so-brite.html)

Jumpinjoe 09-11-2019 06:45 PM

Not so brite

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I have a 2018 Laramie with the upgraded headlights. Iím wanting to know what bulb would be brighter than factory. Thanks

Dude's Diesel Performance 09-11-2019 07:06 PM

Our customers have had some great luck out of the supernova led lights for your truck. Shoot me a message and ill get you some details.

ritchie1087 09-11-2019 07:08 PM

i did the morimoto hid and am really happy with them had some cheapys in originally they didnt stay in long as always had issues with bulb and ballast

Jimmy07 09-11-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumpinjoe (Post 29086387)
Ok I have a 2018 Laramie with the upgraded headlights. Iím wanting to know what bulb would be brighter than factory. Thanks

Philips Xtreme Vision 9005ís

Jumpinjoe 09-11-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy07 (Post 29086429)
Philips Xtreme Vision 9005ís

Iím looking for something that I can take my bulb out and plug another one in. Also bulbs to match for in my fog lights.

Jimmy07 09-11-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumpinjoe (Post 29086525)
Iím looking for something that I can take my bulb out and plug another one in. Also bulbs to match for in my fog lights.

Yup, thatís a direct replacement (brighter) for the bulb you already have. Unplug old bulb, plug in new bulb. 9145 are your fogs. Not sure if philips makes an Xtreme vision version.

07Dually 09-12-2019 12:58 AM

The stock projectors on these trucks are really disappointing.
You might want to try halogen 9011s for a noticeable quick and easy upgrade to your stock projector head lights. All you need to do is trim one of the tabs & they plug in. No Canbus or AphaOBD necessary. Follow this link for instructions. https://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html
Not as bright as HIDs but a very noticeable improvement over the stock bulbs. Enough so that Iím not in a hurry to install HIDs.

Dogpatch 09-12-2019 09:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 07Dually (Post 29086753)
The stock projectors on these trucks are really disappointing.
You might want to try halogen 9011s for a noticeable quick and easy upgrade to your stock projector head lights. All you need to do is trim one of the tabs & they plug in. No Canbus or AphaOBD necessary. Follow this link for instructions. https://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html
Not as bright as HIDs but a very noticeable improvement over the stock bulbs. Enough so that I’m not in a hurry to install HIDs.

I don’t understand anyone’s desire to have inferior headlights or the reluctance to change to HIDs.

Maybe they cost a little more, but in changing your bulbs alone, you have done most of the same work as the HID install except install the ballasts and a couple of cables.

The difference is night and day!

I’m sorry but no matter what Halogen bulb you use, although maybe slightly better, they are still pathetic.
In the darker photo, my iPhone could barely pick up the light in front of the truck with halogens.
I hated driving at night.
Next photo, although winter, with the HIDs installed I found it to be about 1,000% improvement.

Just my opinion and experience after the changeover.
I put in Morimoto 35 Watt ballasts and Morimoto 4300k bulbs.
Cost me 3 hours time, $271 in Canadian Dollars. Difference in light....Monumental!

frankss 09-12-2019 10:29 AM

I agree with Dogpatch. Don't waste your time just trying to find a slightly better bulb to replace the sub-par factory ones. Do yourself the favor and install a good HID setup and you will be amazed at how much better you can see. I went from not being able to see over 2-300 ft in front of the truck with high beams to seeing over 1/4 mi with the HID setup. Low beam performance is greatly improved as well.

dstraps 09-12-2019 12:26 PM

I use the HIR's from candle power. $40 bucks and 20 minutes. They are better than 9005.

Jpalmer 09-12-2019 01:29 PM

My main problem with going with a higher quality halogen light is that they generate more heat and they burn up quicker. A few years ago I had a buddy that was literally going through a set of Silvania Silverstars every year, no kidding. I finally convinced him to go HID and he NEVER regretted the decision. I started out with the stock halogens in my stock projectors and they were putrid at best. I then upgraded to LED as I figured being a newer technology and easier install than HID would be the way to go. I saw no difference in output vs stock halogens, just a cooler color. After doing some research I found several reputable lighting companies that sell both LED & HID prove that the output of the LEDs in our projector housings is actually less than the output of the stock halogens! I threw my high end $250 LED kit in the garbage and went with the Morimoto 35W HID kit and was blown away. Light output is incredible compared to stock and LEDs. Don't waste your time going the route I did, just do HIDs and be done with it. Don't scrimp out on the kit either, there is absolutely a difference between knock-off HIDs and Morimotos. There is no cutting or custom wiring work needed, simply order the full kit from Retroshop, plug it in to your factory wiring, connect the relays to the battery, and mount the ballasts. If you can change a tire you can install an HID kit, don't be intimidated.

Aburdett 09-12-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpalmer (Post 29087123)
My main problem with going with a higher quality halogen light is that they generate more heat and they burn up quicker. A few years ago I had a buddy that was literally going through a set of Silvania Silverstars every year, no kidding. I finally convinced him to go HID and he NEVER regretted the decision. I started out with the stock halogens in my stock projectors and they were putrid at best. I then upgraded to LED as I figured being a newer technology and easier install than HID would be the way to go. I saw no difference in output vs stock halogens, just a cooler color. After doing some research I found several reputable lighting companies that sell both LED & HID prove that the output of the LEDs in our projector housings is actually less than the output of the stock halogens! I threw my high end $250 LED kit in the garbage and went with the Morimoto 35W HID kit and was blown away. Light output is incredible compared to stock and LEDs. Don't waste your time going the route I did, just do HIDs and be done with it. Don't scrimp out on the kit either, there is absolutely a difference between knock-off HIDs and Morimotos. There is no cutting or custom wiring work needed, simply order the full kit from Retroshop, plug it in to your factory wiring, connect the relays to the battery, and mount the ballasts. If you can change a tire you can install an HID kit, don't be intimidated.

No issues with flicker in winter or any other time?

Do they make a kit for the fogs so they match? I like the idea of not having to cut into wiring. I also donít want blue lights.