Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   2013-2018 General Discussion (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/)
-   -   Roadside DOT Check (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/2509399-roadside-dot-check.html)

Trapper510 08-24-2019 09:05 AM

Roadside DOT Check
 
Has anyone experienced one of these.
A friend of mine was out on the west coast and got stopped by the DOT in his 2018 RAM 3500 pulling a fifth wheel camper.
He had already done a full delete, no Cat or muffler.
When they got through with him he had a hefty fine and ran home to Louisiana to put everything back on.

Just wondering if any of ya'll know of any other times this has happened.
Thanks

Jared Herzog 08-24-2019 09:30 AM

Roadside DOT Check
 
Did they drag him in to pay the fine before he left the state? If the law there had any teeth the vehicle would have been impounded immediately or at least not allowed to be moved under its own power. If not wad the ticket up and stay out of California if indeed that is where the ticket was issued.
This is the first i have ever heard of this happening.
For me it would be the same as getting a fine for a ďhigh capacityĒ magazine. Leave the west coast for home in Texas and they wont do anything to help California with the ticket they wrote. I doubt there is extradition for such a thing.
I have heard of things like red light cameras having tickets issued to people from other states where red light cameras are illegal. The state issuing the ticket tosses it out if the car is registered in another state. Basically only enforcing that states laws on its own citizens. Different states have different laws. While it is always wise to obey all laws in a state it is very hard to collect fines from citizens that donít reside there.

K9Kodi 08-24-2019 09:40 AM

First post? One post? Hmmmmmmm

Learjet 08-24-2019 09:41 AM

1. that is why i haven't deleted...especially when everything is working properly.

2. that is why I stopped at Utah and Nevada on my last RV trip out west. No West Coast for me :(

:)

Trapper510 08-24-2019 10:18 AM

I thought this may have been an isolated incident. But was just checking.
About the first post I used to be on this forum years ago and had to re register mister 5000 posts.
This type of stuff is why I stay away from the LEFT coast.
I personally live in Alaska where there are no inspection or emissions BS. As long as you have head lights and brake lights here you are fine.

Thanks for the replies.

John

Ltngdrvr 08-24-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper510 (Post 29069397)
Has anyone experienced one of these.
A friend of mine was out on the west coast and got stopped by the DOT in his 2018 RAM 3500 pulling a fifth wheel camper.
He had already done a full delete, no Cat or muffler.
When they got through with him he had a hefty fine and ran home to Louisiana to put everything back on.

Just wondering if any of ya'll know of any other times this has happened.
Thanks

Stopped by the DOT?

I doubt it, unless he was towing commercially, was he?

KirkH 08-24-2019 10:30 AM

Here in NJ, My 2012 3500 DRW is exempt from inspection. But there are always roadside DMV check points. They will check for smoke, they can dip the fuel as we have off road fuel available at most all diesel pumps. the offroad has dye in it. That is definitely a big time fine if they find it. As offroad diesel is not taxed as is gas and diesel. here.
I also need to have flares or reflective triangles. other that visable safty hazards Bad tires etc. that's it 5mins max and on my way.

El Pozzinator 08-24-2019 10:43 AM

Louisiana DPS (basically weights and measures police) can and do occasionally pull over RVers but theyíve gotta be doing something exceptionally obviously wrong looking. Normally they leave recreational stuff alone. Heck normally they leave hotshots alone. The tickets arenít big enough to justify the court costs unless itís a major overweight issue plus a bunch of other stuff. Theyíd rather go after the class-8 trucks speeding and weaving lanes because those fines can easily get into 4 digits, and more often than not the company will just pay the fine and move on.

Just gotta watch with the tickets in non-adjoining states. They may not chase you for it, but some states will issue a warrant for the cited driver. Thatíll pop up if the driver ever gets run in ADSI or ICJIS (or fills out a 4473) and could show up in a background check or credit report.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trapper510 08-24-2019 10:55 AM

It WAS the DOT and he was not pulling commercially.
I know that the DOT and EPA regulates emissions on all new vehicles but had not heard of it before on a roadside check on non commercial vehicles.
This person is about the most reliable person you can meet. He was so proud of the power and mileage he was getting on his new truck with all of the GOV junk removed until he got stopped. But was quick to put it all back on.
And not paying out of state tickets is never an option these days. Computer systems can get you where ever you are.
I moved to Alaska in 2012. Last year Louisiana tried to garnish my income tax return for not renewing my vehicle registration in LA. It took me months to prove to them that they were and had been registered in AK.
I had to supply affadavits from INS company showing coverage dates and such just to keep my own money. Just hope this is not an example of things to come from the revenue generating GOV agencies.

upflying 08-24-2019 10:58 AM

Exactly where on the "west coast" did this happen?

hooked55 08-24-2019 11:06 AM

The only roadside checks Iíve seen in California are for those that are so intelligent they drive drunk, stoned, or both. Never seen any for equipment violators. Have seen the Highway Patrol many times pull em over for overloaded conditions.

Don82146 08-24-2019 12:34 PM

Well, my question is simply this; does anyone have ďFIRST HAND EXPERIENCEĒ pulling an RV by DOT?
I personally never met a DOT officer that wanted anything to do with RVís.........and I met a few when I was still driving commercially. And I did question a few of them about certain things pertaining to RVís. The answer was always the same.Not unless there is an OBVIOUS safety violation.

It seems to me it is always somebodyís uncles, cousinís, grandmaís, nieceís buddy that gets pulled over, and the Ďnet goes crazy.

upflying 08-24-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooked55 (Post 29069461)
The only roadside checks I’ve seen in California are for those that are so intelligent they drive drunk, stoned, or both. Never seen any for equipment violators. Have seen the Highway Patrol many times pull em over for overloaded conditions.

Yep, the only DOT inspections in Ca are run by the California Highway Patrol at commercial enforcement inspection stations. They do not stop or want to see pickups and RV's in those stations. In fact there is a big sign at the entrance, "no pickups".
CHP (the DOT) only inspects vehicles defined in the Code of Federal Regulations over 26,001 lbs GVWR .
CHP officers driving marked pickups have portable scales in the back for random overweight and mechanical/driver log book violations.

the man in black 08-24-2019 01:31 PM

Emission requirements are not a state by state case. Those laws are federal. It's up to the state to decide if they want to enforce and/inspect any vehicles.

That said, what was the "hefty fine" and what were the exact violations cited on the ticket? I've been pulled over in a deleted truck too. Drove off with nothing more than a speeding ticket. I would like to see actual documents prior to me buying into this.

Jared Herzog 08-24-2019 01:32 PM

So what was the fine amount? $$?

Jimmy N. 08-24-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 29069551)
Yep, the only DOT inspections in Ca are run by the California Highway Patrol at commercial enforcement inspection stations. They do not stop or want to see pickups and RV's in those stations. In fact there is a big sign at the entrance, "no pickups".
CHP (the DOT) only inspects vehicles defined in the Code of Federal Regulations over 26,001 lbs GVWR .

Well, except for when they set up temporary check points along the road, often concentrating on certain types of vehicles, such as buses.

Also, there's no minimum GVWR for having to stop at scales. "No pickups" means that even a 1500 with a flatbed may have to pull in, as it's no longer a pickup.

Baradium 08-24-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper510 (Post 29069453)
It WAS the DOT and he was not pulling commercially.
I know that the DOT and EPA regulates emissions on all new vehicles but had not heard of it before on a roadside check on non commercial vehicles.
This person is about the most reliable person you can meet. He was so proud of the power and mileage he was getting on his new truck with all of the GOV junk removed until he got stopped. But was quick to put it all back on.
And not paying out of state tickets is never an option these days. Computer systems can get you where ever you are.
I moved to Alaska in 2012. Last year Louisiana tried to garnish my income tax return for not renewing my vehicle registration in LA. It took me months to prove to them that they were and had been registered in AK.
I had to supply affadavits from INS company showing coverage dates and such just to keep my own money. Just hope this is not an example of things to come from the revenue generating GOV agencies.

Hello fellow Alaskan.

Did you ever see his truck? I would expect they aren't just randomly pulling over RVs looking for emissions equipment. I would guess he was making a lot of smoke and thus drew attention, especially if he was in California where they at least used to regularly do smoke opacity checks. I've worried that even in Alaska people regularly "rolling coal" will eventually result in more regulation and attention to diesel vehicles.

Aburdett 08-24-2019 03:07 PM

Up here the scales say any vehicle over 4500kg. That being said if your under pulling a trailer or a load unsafe your liable just like the rest.

Your friend took a risk when he removed the equipment. Just like speeding. Broke a law and canít be made he got caught. Not saying I wouldnít be pissed but thatís life.

I watch class 8 trucks that are a disgusting mess reive everywhere and passed scales. While the clean one gets a ticket. Itís the way it is. If/when I delete my truck hopefully I wonít be fined.

pwr2tow 08-24-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper510 (Post 29069431)
I thought this may have been an isolated incident. But was just checking.
About the first post I used to be on this forum years ago and had to re register mister 5000 posts.
This type of stuff is why I stay away from the LEFT coast.
I personally live in Alaska where there are no inspection or emissions BS. As long as you have head lights and brake lights here you are fine.

Thanks for the replies.

John

Hey John don't get your panties in a wad. You come on here with what looks like a B.S. story with nothing to back yourself up with. If your story is true it would be the first and you're going to need more proof than just a story.

If you were a member years ago what was your username? When did you join and when did you leave? IF you were a member years ago you know how things go on the internet, why would you rejoin knowing this without proof?

Until you check out I'm calling B.S. troll. If you check out legit, then I'll apologize.

upflying 08-24-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy N. (Post 29069561)
Well, except for when they set up temporary check points along the road, often concentrating on certain types of vehicles, such as buses.

Also, there's no minimum GVWR for having to stop at scales. "No pickups" means that even a 1500 with a flatbed may have to pull in, as it's no longer a pickup.

I spent two weeks training at a CHP commercial enforcement station, I can assure you no one under the regulated GVWR of 26,001lbs pulled into the station for a weigh or an inspection. Uhaul and rental trucks were also not required to stop.

micromike 08-24-2019 04:37 PM

I see CHP inspection pickup trucks roaming California highways on a monthly basis! Logging trucks are their favorite target in my area. A buddy of mine was stopped at a temporary inspection station on highway 41 making his way to Huckfest in Pismo Beach. They wrote him up for mud flaps and bead-locks.

4everlearning 08-24-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 29069635)
I spent two weeks training at a CHP commercial enforcement station, I can assure you no one under the regulated GVWR of 26,001lbs pulled into the station for a weigh or an inspection. Uhaul and rental trucks were also not required to stop.



I call BS! I drive a truck for work that is a GVWR of 26,000lbs and I have to stop at all check point stations. Iíve also had pickups with flatbeds, enclosed boxes, and utility beds. All of those vehicles have to stop. I did not know this the first time I drove the first flatbed that I had and was run down by a chp officer for not stopping.

ctate 08-24-2019 04:44 PM

Law enforcement stopping a private vehicle under 26001 lbs with out reasonable suspicion is a violation of your 4th amendment rights. Unless you are "rolling coal" or breaking another law, you cannot be stopped for what this guy was stopped for. I've been a police officer /detective for 15 years and that's never heard of this.

cjgoode 08-24-2019 05:13 PM

He probably rolled some coal. Seems most deleted trucks towing a heavy trailer seem to blow some black smoke under normal acceleration. Some bored officer probably saw and and said what the heck.

Not paying it would be a risky proposal. An unpaid ticket can actually prevent you from renewing you insurance, your vehicle registration and can even cause you license to be suspended. Many states, actually most states share this information with other states, especially neighboring states. You better know how your state handles it before choosing to ignore it and never go back. Plus once a warrant is issue, and it will be it remains open and any trip back to that state would put you at risk.

ffg 08-24-2019 05:16 PM

https://dot.ca.gov/programs/traffic-...weigh-stations

PICKUP -- It depends on the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), unladen weight, and bed of the truck.

GVWR under 11,500 pounds, unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- NO.
GVWR 11,500 pounds or more, unladen weight 8,001 pounds or more, or not equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- YES.

Jimmy N. 08-24-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 29069635)
I spent two weeks training at a CHP commercial enforcement station, I can assure you no one under the regulated GVWR of 26,001lbs pulled into the station for a weigh or an inspection. Uhaul and rental trucks were also not required to stop.

Things may have changed since I fled, but flatbeds and service bodies definitely were supposed to pull in. Did they? Far from always.

A friend of mine worked a few miles from a scale (both sides of the road) and drove by multiple times per day in his service bodied Ram 3500.
Sometimes he was told not to bother, other times the company got a phone call telling them that the drivers better stop, or else.
That company recently relocated, partially to avoid the hassle with the scales.

Having spent many hours at those particular scales (discussing my RV's licensing status), as well as talking to my BIT inspector about it, and at scales across the West, I have a decent idea about what they like to see pull in, and what they don't.

Jimmy N. 08-24-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffg (Post 29069675)
GVWR 11,500 pounds or more, unladen weight 8,001 pounds or more, or not equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- YES.

That would be me, these days. So did I pull in at the scales when in CA recently? Nope.
Yes, I knew that I should have, but the odds that they'd chase me down were slim, I figured.

Part of the reason behind getting a 3500 and a toyhauler was to get away from all that nonsense that I had to endure with my Class 8 based RV when it was registered in CA.
Heck, some guy with a 3-inch stack of paperwork hauling hazmat could be out of the chicken coop in two minutes. I sometimes spent 30 minutes while they tried to figure out what to do with me.

upflying 08-24-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micromike (Post 29069659)
I see CHP inspection pickup trucks roaming California highways on a monthly basis! Logging trucks are their favorite target in my area. A buddy of mine was stopped at a temporary inspection station on highway 41 making his way to Huckfest in Pismo Beach. They wrote him up for mud flaps and bead-locks.

Correct, logging trucks are regulated vehicles in excess of 26,001 lbs. CHP can stop and inspect them without probable cause.

Jimmy N. 08-24-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micromike (Post 29069659)
I see CHP inspection pickup trucks roaming California highways on a monthly basis! Logging trucks are their favorite target in my area. A buddy of mine was stopped at a temporary inspection station on highway 41 making his way to Huckfest in Pismo Beach. They wrote him up for mud flaps and bead-locks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 29069759)
Correct, logging trucks are regulated vehicles in excess of 26,001 lbs. CHP can stop and inspect them without probable cause.

I got the impression that he wasn't driving a logging truck to Pismo...with bead lock wheels.

upflying 08-24-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4everlearning (Post 29069663)
I call BS! I drive a truck for work that is a GVWR of 26,000lbs and I have to stop at all check point stations. Iíve also had pickups with flatbeds, enclosed boxes, and utility beds. All of those vehicles have to stop. I did not know this the first time I drove the first flatbed that I had and was run down by a chp officer for not stopping.

Regardless of how you feel about me, what is BS is the OP's hearsay story. A pickup pulling a 5th wheel RV is not a commercial vehicle and it is NOT required to stop at a CHP weigh and inspection station.

4everlearning 08-24-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy N. (Post 29069761)
I got the impression that he wasn't driving a logging truck to Pismo...with bead lock wheels.



The bead lock wheels depending on style can be probable cause, or even tread sticking out past the fender.

I had a Jeep that the tires had over 6Ē of tread that stuck out past the fender flares, that I drove for several years without ever being pulled over. I also had friends that got pulled over for and written up for tires with only about an inch of tread past the fender in the same town. Itís funny how that works.

4everlearning 08-24-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 29069763)
Regardless of how you feel about me, what is BS is the OP's hearsay story. A pickup pulling a 5th wheel RV is not a commercial vehicle and it is NOT required to stop at a CHP weigh and inspection station.



I was simply correcting your wrong claims in the earlier post.
In this post, while you are not wrong, you are not exactly right either, at least here in California. In California there is a length limit that you are allowed to pull with a pickup, no CDL and not have to stop at weigh/DOT stations. I believe the limit is 40í but Iím not certain on that nor do I care enough to look it up for you.

The original claim does seem to be questionable tho at best. Even here in the ďpull you over for whatever the we wantĒ state that California is.

Minnow101 08-24-2019 08:05 PM

Doubt we'll hear from the OP again, but just in case....why would your friend race home to reinstall the pollution crap? Louisiana doesn't require it.

Jimmy N. 08-24-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 29069763)
A pickup pulling a 5th wheel RV is not a commercial vehicle and it is NOT required to stop at a CHP weigh and inspection station.

Being a bit picky here, but as I recall, a pickup is a commercial vehicle in CA, and hooking a 5th wheel to it doesn't change that.

One way around the commercial registration is to install a shell, or a camper, and get a regular automobile registration...but then you couldn't hook a 5th wheel to it.

Jimmy N. 08-24-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4everlearning (Post 29069769)
I had a Jeep that the tires had over 6Ē of tread that stuck out past the fender flares, that I drove for several years without ever being pulled over. I also had friends that got pulled over for and written up for tires with only about an inch of tread past the fender in the same town. Itís funny how that works.

It can indeed be a hit or miss. I drove around with half of my 16.50s outside the fenders (no flares) but when I got stopped it was because of not having a windshield.

Thankfully, after moving out I no longer need a windshield, or fenders, or much else.

Aburdett 08-24-2019 08:47 PM

I find that the people trying to abide by the laws know more than most enforcing them.

Jimmy N. 08-24-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aburdett (Post 29069813)
I find that the people trying to abide by the laws know more than most enforcing them.

Funny that you mention that. In CA I had a copy of the vehicle code book, and knew the contents pretty darn well. In many cases better than the LEO, as you mention.

After moving, I asked a local State Police about getting a copy of the vehicle laws here. Having learned much of them from a friend, I still wanted to see them for myself.

When I got the book I was surprised/amazed/in disbelief...it was thinner than the CA version, but the size of a typical magazine, which is about three times the footprint of the CA one.
Well, my fears were unfounded. That book contained every law in the state, and the vehicle section was about six pages.

Basically, if it isn't expressly forbidden, it's okay. And that goes for all, not just vehicle related, laws.

Learjet 08-24-2019 10:21 PM

Louisiana doesn't check it ...yet. Still required by Federal law.

El Pozzinator 08-24-2019 10:32 PM

Yeah here itís LRS 31:xx. About 3 pages 8.5x11. I keep a copy printed in my vehicle. Most of the troopers, deputies, and officers with whom I work keep a condensed printout of the main sections on their citation board.

TX, different animal. I know a few troopers and a couple local / city folks in the DFW and Houston areas. Those folks know their vehicle code front and back, to include weight and length standards. TX and PA have a lot more leeway than other states when it comes to interpretation and application so youíre more apt to run across an LEO willing to enforce the intent more than the letter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsbrockman 08-25-2019 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4everlearning (Post 29069777)
I was simply correcting your wrong claims in the earlier post.
In this post, while you are not wrong, you are not exactly right either, at least here in California. In California there is a length limit that you are allowed to pull with a pickup, no CDL and not have to stop at weigh/DOT stations. I believe the limit is 40í but Iím not certain on that nor do I care enough to look it up for you.

The original claim does seem to be questionable tho at best. Even here in the ďpull you over for whatever the we wantĒ state that California is.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dl648/dl648pt3


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome