Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   2013-2018 General Discussion (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/)
-   -   Roadside DOT Check (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/2509399-roadside-dot-check.html)

Trapper510 08-24-2019 08:05 AM

Roadside DOT Check

Has anyone experienced one of these.
A friend of mine was out on the west coast and got stopped by the DOT in his 2018 RAM 3500 pulling a fifth wheel camper.
He had already done a full delete, no Cat or muffler.
When they got through with him he had a hefty fine and ran home to Louisiana to put everything back on.

Just wondering if any of ya'll know of any other times this has happened.
Thanks

Jared Herzog 08-24-2019 08:30 AM

Roadside DOT Check

Did they drag him in to pay the fine before he left the state? If the law there had any teeth the vehicle would have been impounded immediately or at least not allowed to be moved under its own power. If not wad the ticket up and stay out of California if indeed that is where the ticket was issued.
This is the first i have ever heard of this happening.
For me it would be the same as getting a fine for a “high capacity” magazine. Leave the west coast for home in Texas and they wont do anything to help California with the ticket they wrote. I doubt there is extradition for such a thing.
I have heard of things like red light cameras having tickets issued to people from other states where red light cameras are illegal. The state issuing the ticket tosses it out if the car is registered in another state. Basically only enforcing that states laws on its own citizens. Different states have different laws. While it is always wise to obey all laws in a state it is very hard to collect fines from citizens that don’t reside there.

K9Kodi 08-24-2019 08:40 AM

First post? One post? Hmmmmmmm

Learjet 08-24-2019 08:41 AM

1. that is why i haven't deleted...especially when everything is working properly.

2. that is why I stopped at Utah and Nevada on my last RV trip out west. No West Coast for me :(

:)

Trapper510 08-24-2019 09:18 AM

I thought this may have been an isolated incident. But was just checking.
About the first post I used to be on this forum years ago and had to re register mister 5000 posts.
This type of stuff is why I stay away from the LEFT coast.
I personally live in Alaska where there are no inspection or emissions BS. As long as you have head lights and brake lights here you are fine.

Thanks for the replies.

John

Ltngdrvr 08-24-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper510 (Post 29069397)
Has anyone experienced one of these.
A friend of mine was out on the west coast and got stopped by the DOT in his 2018 RAM 3500 pulling a fifth wheel camper.
He had already done a full delete, no Cat or muffler.
When they got through with him he had a hefty fine and ran home to Louisiana to put everything back on.

Just wondering if any of ya'll know of any other times this has happened.
Thanks

Stopped by the DOT?

I doubt it, unless he was towing commercially, was he?

KirkH 08-24-2019 09:30 AM

Here in NJ, My 2012 3500 DRW is exempt from inspection. But there are always roadside DMV check points. They will check for smoke, they can dip the fuel as we have off road fuel available at most all diesel pumps. the offroad has dye in it. That is definitely a big time fine if they find it. As offroad diesel is not taxed as is gas and diesel. here.
I also need to have flares or reflective triangles. other that visable safty hazards Bad tires etc. that's it 5mins max and on my way.

El Pozzinator 08-24-2019 09:43 AM

Louisiana DPS (basically weights and measures police) can and do occasionally pull over RVers but they’ve gotta be doing something exceptionally obviously wrong looking. Normally they leave recreational stuff alone. Heck normally they leave hotshots alone. The tickets aren’t big enough to justify the court costs unless it’s a major overweight issue plus a bunch of other stuff. They’d rather go after the class-8 trucks speeding and weaving lanes because those fines can easily get into 4 digits, and more often than not the company will just pay the fine and move on.

Just gotta watch with the tickets in non-adjoining states. They may not chase you for it, but some states will issue a warrant for the cited driver. That’ll pop up if the driver ever gets run in ADSI or ICJIS (or fills out a 4473) and could show up in a background check or credit report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trapper510 08-24-2019 09:55 AM

It WAS the DOT and he was not pulling commercially.
I know that the DOT and EPA regulates emissions on all new vehicles but had not heard of it before on a roadside check on non commercial vehicles.
This person is about the most reliable person you can meet. He was so proud of the power and mileage he was getting on his new truck with all of the GOV junk removed until he got stopped. But was quick to put it all back on.
And not paying out of state tickets is never an option these days. Computer systems can get you where ever you are.
I moved to Alaska in 2012. Last year Louisiana tried to garnish my income tax return for not renewing my vehicle registration in LA. It took me months to prove to them that they were and had been registered in AK.
I had to supply affadavits from INS company showing coverage dates and such just to keep my own money. Just hope this is not an example of things to come from the revenue generating GOV agencies.

upflying 08-24-2019 09:58 AM

Exactly where on the "west coast" did this happen?

hooked55 08-24-2019 10:06 AM

The only roadside checks I’ve seen in California are for those that are so intelligent they drive drunk, stoned, or both. Never seen any for equipment violators. Have seen the Highway Patrol many times pull em over for overloaded conditions.

Don82146 08-24-2019 11:34 AM

Well, my question is simply this; does anyone have “FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE” pulling an RV by DOT?
I personally never met a DOT officer that wanted anything to do with RV’s.........and I met a few when I was still driving commercially. And I did question a few of them about certain things pertaining to RV’s. The answer was always the same.Not unless there is an OBVIOUS safety violation.

It seems to me it is always somebody’s uncles, cousin’s, grandma’s, niece’s buddy that gets pulled over, and the ‘net goes crazy.