Roadside DOT Check - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

134Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked55 View Post
The only roadside checks I’ve seen in California are for those that are so intelligent they drive drunk, stoned, or both. Never seen any for equipment violators. Have seen the Highway Patrol many times pull em over for overloaded conditions.
Yep, the only DOT inspections in Ca are run by the California Highway Patrol at commercial enforcement inspection stations. They do not stop or want to see pickups and RV's in those stations. In fact there is a big sign at the entrance, "no pickups".
CHP (the DOT) only inspects vehicles defined in the Code of Federal Regulations over 26,001 lbs GVWR .
CHP officers driving marked pickups have portable scales in the back for random overweight and mechanical/driver log book violations.

Don82146 likes this.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,442 Times in 2,515 Posts
Emission requirements are not a state by state case. Those laws are federal. It's up to the state to decide if they want to enforce and/inspect any vehicles.

That said, what was the "hefty fine" and what were the exact violations cited on the ticket? I've been pulled over in a deleted truck too. Drove off with nothing more than a speeding ticket. I would like to see actual documents prior to me buying into this.
frankyrealto likes this.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
post #15 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:32 PM
Diesel Head

So what was the fine amount? $$?

Ram 14 2500 RIP 14,700 Stock. 68RFE."The Lemon"
Ram 15 3500 Dually. Stock. Aisin. N Fab wheel to wheel. Weather Tech Mats. Big D Steering Box Brace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Yep, the only DOT inspections in Ca are run by the California Highway Patrol at commercial enforcement inspection stations. They do not stop or want to see pickups and RV's in those stations. In fact there is a big sign at the entrance, "no pickups".
CHP (the DOT) only inspects vehicles defined in the Code of Federal Regulations over 26,001 lbs GVWR .
Well, except for when they set up temporary check points along the road, often concentrating on certain types of vehicles, such as buses.

Also, there's no minimum GVWR for having to stop at scales. "No pickups" means that even a 1500 with a flatbed may have to pull in, as it's no longer a pickup.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #17 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper510 View Post
It WAS the DOT and he was not pulling commercially.
I know that the DOT and EPA regulates emissions on all new vehicles but had not heard of it before on a roadside check on non commercial vehicles.
This person is about the most reliable person you can meet. He was so proud of the power and mileage he was getting on his new truck with all of the GOV junk removed until he got stopped. But was quick to put it all back on.
And not paying out of state tickets is never an option these days. Computer systems can get you where ever you are.
I moved to Alaska in 2012. Last year Louisiana tried to garnish my income tax return for not renewing my vehicle registration in LA. It took me months to prove to them that they were and had been registered in AK.
I had to supply affadavits from INS company showing coverage dates and such just to keep my own money. Just hope this is not an example of things to come from the revenue generating GOV agencies.
Hello fellow Alaskan.

Did you ever see his truck? I would expect they aren't just randomly pulling over RVs looking for emissions equipment. I would guess he was making a lot of smoke and thus drew attention, especially if he was in California where they at least used to regularly do smoke opacity checks. I've worried that even in Alaska people regularly "rolling coal" will eventually result in more regulation and attention to diesel vehicles.
Jimmy N. likes this.

98 24v 3500 dually 4x4
18 6.7 3500 4x4 G56
post #18 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:07 PM
Cummins Nut

Up here the scales say any vehicle over 4500kg. That being said if your under pulling a trailer or a load unsafe your liable just like the rest.

Your friend took a risk when he removed the equipment. Just like speeding. Broke a law and can’t be made he got caught. Not saying I wouldn’t be pissed but that’s life.

I watch class 8 trucks that are a disgusting mess reive everywhere and passed scales. While the clean one gets a ticket. It’s the way it is. If/when I delete my truck hopefully I won’t be fined.
post #19 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:29 PM
Diesel Head

Location: A-Vay-Up-Nort. U.S.A. 116*F summer 2007, -48*F winter 2018/2019.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper510 View Post
I thought this may have been an isolated incident. But was just checking.
About the first post I used to be on this forum years ago and had to re register mister 5000 posts.
This type of stuff is why I stay away from the LEFT coast.
I personally live in Alaska where there are no inspection or emissions BS. As long as you have head lights and brake lights here you are fine.

Thanks for the replies.

John
Hey John don't get your panties in a wad. You come on here with what looks like a B.S. story with nothing to back yourself up with. If your story is true it would be the first and you're going to need more proof than just a story.

If you were a member years ago what was your username? When did you join and when did you leave? IF you were a member years ago you know how things go on the internet, why would you rejoin knowing this without proof?

Until you check out I'm calling B.S. troll. If you check out legit, then I'll apologize.
MSquare likes this.

Black 2018 Laramie 3500, MC, DRW, 4WD, H.O. Cummins, Aisin, 3:73 gears. Towing a 2017 Torque 325 Toyhauler, 39', pin weight 2,370, GVWR 16,250, GCW 23,870 goosebox hitch. Retired, sort of.
post #20 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:38 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Well, except for when they set up temporary check points along the road, often concentrating on certain types of vehicles, such as buses.

Also, there's no minimum GVWR for having to stop at scales. "No pickups" means that even a 1500 with a flatbed may have to pull in, as it's no longer a pickup.
I spent two weeks training at a CHP commercial enforcement station, I can assure you no one under the regulated GVWR of 26,001lbs pulled into the station for a weigh or an inspection. Uhaul and rental trucks were also not required to stop.
honestcharlie56 likes this.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
post #21 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Cummins Fan

I see CHP inspection pickup trucks roaming California highways on a monthly basis! Logging trucks are their favorite target in my area. A buddy of mine was stopped at a temporary inspection station on highway 41 making his way to Huckfest in Pismo Beach. They wrote him up for mud flaps and bead-locks.

04.5 Qsb Synergy long arm-Carli 3”linear spring Deaver race pak w/Thuren shackles 2.5” stage 4 short body shocks large bypass tubes rear- truss
post #22 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 03:43 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I spent two weeks training at a CHP commercial enforcement station, I can assure you no one under the regulated GVWR of 26,001lbs pulled into the station for a weigh or an inspection. Uhaul and rental trucks were also not required to stop.

I call BS! I drive a truck for work that is a GVWR of 26,000lbs and I have to stop at all check point stations. I’ve also had pickups with flatbeds, enclosed boxes, and utility beds. All of those vehicles have to stop. I did not know this the first time I drove the first flatbed that I had and was run down by a chp officer for not stopping.
Jimmy N. likes this.

2005 QCSB, cold air intake, guages, a trans built by me and HPTuners tunes by me
post #23 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 03:44 PM
Diesel Freak

Law enforcement stopping a private vehicle under 26001 lbs with out reasonable suspicion is a violation of your 4th amendment rights. Unless you are "rolling coal" or breaking another law, you cannot be stopped for what this guy was stopped for. I've been a police officer /detective for 15 years and that's never heard of this.
Renegade2 and frankyrealto like this.

15 blacked out 3500 Big Horn CC Aisin, PPEI, Jones 4040xl & FTE 30in. AFE Momentum, Pedal Comm. , Tonneau Pro rollup, Torque airbags, DZ tailgate strut, Bilstein 5100+Damper, TYC smoked projectors, Fumei bed cam, NOCO engine block plug, A.R. Steering stab., Amsoil
post #24 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Diesel Head

He probably rolled some coal. Seems most deleted trucks towing a heavy trailer seem to blow some black smoke under normal acceleration. Some bored officer probably saw and and said what the heck.

Not paying it would be a risky proposal. An unpaid ticket can actually prevent you from renewing you insurance, your vehicle registration and can even cause you license to be suspended. Many states, actually most states share this information with other states, especially neighboring states. You better know how your state handles it before choosing to ignore it and never go back. Plus once a warrant is issue, and it will be it remains open and any trip back to that state would put you at risk.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode