A few interesting things... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,154 Times in 1,597 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
A few interesting things...

Time for new fuel filters and new tires.

Just came back from a trip to Indiana, pulled one of those nice to pull 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels, sure do like pulling those, light weight, less wind drag, better fuel economy.

Filter minder popped as usual at 14,946 miles, never makes it all the way to 15K. Just for grins, calculated the overall fuel economy off the gallons used since last filter monitor reset. 847 gallons, 15,020 miles, for 17.733 MPG. Not bad, considering that fully half my miles are towing, mostly 5th wheel travel trailers. Of course, the gallons used only shows full gallons, not down to the tenth or anything, so the exact fuel economy will be a little different, but not way off. And, not sure exactly how the ecm determines the gallons used.

Next thing is the tires.

I'm what many would consider CHEAP.

I think of myself more as someone who always tries to get the most for my money, no sense blowing more money than I need to.

To that end, I am always looking for the best price tires, but want tires that get me the most miles for the money spent. Tire prices always seem to vary wildly each time I go looking for the next set.

In the past, I've had great luck and great mileage from the General Grabber line of tires, getting as much as 90K miles on some of them, always over 80K at a minimum. But, the price has really gone up on them at all sources, so I've been going with other brands.

Right now, my truck has a pair of BFG commercial T/A's on front, and a cheap set of "Thunderer CLT" tires that I got off amazon for $106 each. The T/A's have been pretty good, been on my truck for about 80K miles, and are almost down to the wear bars. The Thunderer's have been on for 48K and they are worn all the way down to the wear bars, and maybe a little beyond!

Anyway, I've been searching for the best priced new tires I can find. Those Thunderer's weren't bad for the price, but the mileage compared to the difference in the price between those and the Generals($202 ea.) was almost a wash, about twice as much for about twice the miles.

Now, last week I found a seller on ebay that has some "Guardsman LT" tires for $335 for a set of 4, cheapest price out there. They looked decent, and it is a tire dealer selling them, so I bought a set. So, if these cheap tires last 48K miles, like the Thunderer's, then the cost per mile for them will be the best of any tires I've had.

We'll see how they work out...

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:55 PM
White Lightning

Thanked 5,955 Times in 3,215 Posts
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
I, too, don’t have a huge amount of confidence in how the EVIC calculates that gallons summation. The only accurate way would be to verify by actual fuel receipts. Not sure how accurate 17.733 is for 50/50 driving.

What are the date codes on those tires? They look kinda old.....

2018 RAM 4500 Chassis Tradesman Crew Cab 60” C/A 4WD, 6.7L Cummins, AISIN AS69RC Transmission, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Chrome Appearance Group, Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Chrome Tubular Steps, 52+22 gallon fuel tanks, 5.0 Radio, Single Disc CD Player, 225/70R19.5 Continental HDR’s, Aluminum Wheels, Parkview Backup Camera, Trailer Brake Controller. Equipped with a CM SK Series flatbed w/B&W Turnover Ball. Purchased new April 23, 2018. Currently : 156,514 miles and 2,767 hours as of August 30th, 2019 (Average Miles Per Hour = 56.6)
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Date codes are all from 2013, so they're 6 years old, not anything to worry about until they are 10 years or more old. They sure won't be on there still by the time they're 10 years old.

And, I know the gallons used is not 100% accurate, it's still not bad for the overall MPG even if it is off by 1 MPG considering that the towing MPG can often drop below 10.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:02 PM

Garage
@Ltngdrvr Kinda seems like a blowout situation to me, although I'm sure you've been through a heck of a lot more tires than I have!
@gsbrockman

While I have you both trapped on a thread, You two seem like knowledgeable fellows after stalking your posts for a few years , what's your opinion on the CCV filter? I've dug around on the forums, and have seen recommendations on the delete, and then back to stock recommendations. Just curious what your .02 cents are. I don't do any driving compared to what you do, but I'm hooked to a trailer a good 50% of the time I drive the truck.

2018 3500, G56 transmission. Stock emissions equipment, tires etc...

2018 Dodge Ram. G56 Transmission

MODS: Mirror light mod, Premium Cluster

post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:12 PM
White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethster View Post
@Ltngdrvr Kinda seems like a blowout situation to me, although I'm sure you've been through a heck of a lot more tires than I have!
@gsbrockman

While I have you both trapped on a thread, You two seem like knowledgeable fellows after stalking your posts for a few years , what's your opinion on the CCV filter? I've dug around on the forums, and have seen recommendations on the delete, and then back to stock recommendations. Just curious what your .02 cents are. I don't do any driving compared to what you do, but I'm hooked to a trailer a good 50% of the time I drive the truck.

I don’t see the need to delete the CCV filter. I generally always have one on the shelf a few weeks prior to the next 67,500 mile interval / replacement. I bought my last Fleetguard CCV filter from Amazon for $53.69

Additionally.......I’ve never noticed anything unusual with my old CCV filter when changing. I changed the CCV filter in my 2014 about 6 Times, and twice in my 2018 4500. Its not a horrible job.....so I opt to keep it stock.

It will indeed be interesting to see how the 6 year old “new” tires do for the OP.

2018 RAM 4500 Chassis Tradesman Crew Cab 60” C/A 4WD, 6.7L Cummins, AISIN AS69RC Transmission, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Chrome Appearance Group, Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Chrome Tubular Steps, 52+22 gallon fuel tanks, 5.0 Radio, Single Disc CD Player, 225/70R19.5 Continental HDR’s, Aluminum Wheels, Parkview Backup Camera, Trailer Brake Controller. Equipped with a CM SK Series flatbed w/B&W Turnover Ball. Purchased new April 23, 2018. Currently : 156,514 miles and 2,767 hours as of August 30th, 2019 (Average Miles Per Hour = 56.6)
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:15 PM
White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Date codes are all from 2013, so they're 6 years old, not anything to worry about until they are 10 years or more old. They sure won't be on there still by the time they're 10 years old.

And, I know the gallons used is not 100% accurate, it's still not bad for the overall MPG even if it is off by 1 MPG considering that the towing MPG can often drop below 10.
Yepppp....blew up the one picture, and it said “1613”.

post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethster View Post
@gsbrockman

Well, don't know what you're talking about as far as a "blowout situation" on the tires???

CCV filter works perfectly well for the vast majority of engines. All the delete kits you see for them are something someone who races their truck came up with a long time ago, engines that have high blowby and pass a lot of excess oil vapor. Then the fanboys picked up on this and decided it was the thing to do to their pedestrian engines even though they didn't need it. And, aftermarket companies picked up on it as a low overhead piece to sell and make a big profit on.

I've never had an issue with the CCv on mine, change it at the recommended interval, and evey time I pull the old one out, it still looks like it could go a while longer, and I never get more than a trace of oil in the turbo inlet.

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Diesel Head

I say if the tires were not outside, not inflated, that date is a lot less important. Just watch them for dry rot, but that is usually visible as soon as you inflate them. That is a smokin deal for 4 tires even if they are that old. That old they I believe would have been made by cooper.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:57 PM

Garage
@Ltngdrvr, @gsbrockman.

Thanks guys! That pretty much sells me on that decision.

As for the "blowout situation", I also tend to be a cheap a$$! A good deal is a good deal, although I've bought cheap Chinese tires in the past and have not had any luck with them. Lost two on a trailer trip cross the state in the same week. Maybe just my bad luck! Dates were more recent than the ones you have, and no dry-rot on the tire. Perfect one minute, then blamo! the next.

2018 Dodge Ram. G56 Transmission

MODS: Mirror light mod, Premium Cluster

post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:02 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgoode View Post
I say if the tires were not outside, not inflated, that date is a lot less important. Just watch them for dry rot, but that is usually visible as soon as you inflate them. That is a smokin deal for 4 tires even if they are that old. That old they I believe would have been made by cooper.
I agree that if they’re not exposed to the elements and stored properly the old 6 yr replacement time starts when they’re mounted & exposed. Had a tire shop guy tell me the same, and he wasn’t trying to sell me tires, i was there for a rotation.

2014 2500 Laramie Crew, short bed. 2014 30’ 10k Timber Ridge TT, Nascar Nut.......
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked55 View Post
I agree that if they’re not exposed to the elements and stored properly the old 6 yr replacement time starts when they’re mounted & exposed. Had a tire shop guy tell me the same, and he wasn’t trying to sell me tires, i was there for a rotation.
I wish that was true, it would've saved me much money over the years. In reality the clock starts ticking the minute the tires are made.

How they are stored can help delay the inevitable, and that's one reason I deflate my stored tires (to minimize the risk of the adhesives giving up prematurely).

When my tires get to be six years old, regardless of how they look and how many miles are(n't) on them, they get relegated to on-property use or thrown away.

The two exceptions are good commercial tires, those I can see leaving on until they're 10 years old, and bias ply tires.
I see enough "alligators" on the road, and don't want to be the one spreading them.
7492 likes this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Well, like I said, they won't be on the truck long enough for age to be a problem, they might make it to 6 months before they are worn out, unless these last longer than the Thunderer tires. Those were put on in late february, and 6 months later in late August they have had 48K miles put on them. And, that is with me being very lazy about working.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode