Should my front-end alignment be free? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the note about alignment being covered in the first year. I'm within that period since I purchased in mid November of 2018. I do have 13.5k miles, hopefully it is not a 12/12 warranty.

I will make it clear with them about my expectations. Since the right front is worn, would it be worth paying them to remount the spare to the front rim, so everything is good again?

I also plan to ask them to grease the front double cardan joint, since it is awkward to do and has not been done yet, despite me already doing two oil changes.

2019 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4 Cummins H.O.
2018 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4 6.7L DRW Manual Trans - previous
2017 Ford F-250 Crew 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
How much is worn? Mine was starting to feather the outside of the right front like yours, and I just rotated the tires. But I am well out of warranty so not sure what your dealer will say.

Pearl White '16 Longhorn 2500 CCSB 6.7 4x4 auto-level 5th wheel prep B&W ball kit, Andersen Ultimate, Amp Powersteps, Amp BedStep, Camlocker tool box

'16 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX

*SOLD* Mineral Gray 06 2500 QCSB 5.9 4x4 79k miles
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
How much is worn? Mine was starting to feather the outside of the right front like yours, and I just rotated the tires. But I am well out of warranty so not sure what your dealer will say.
Most of the tread has worn off the outermost rib on the right front. I'm just looking for an alignment, not a new tire or anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:58 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Most of the tread has worn off the outermost rib on the right front. I'm just looking for an alignment, not a new tire or anything.

Damn, with only 13.5k miles, you probably have a bigger problem than I do. I would definitely get it looked at asap.

Pearl White '16 Longhorn 2500 CCSB 6.7 4x4 auto-level 5th wheel prep B&W ball kit, Andersen Ultimate, Amp Powersteps, Amp BedStep, Camlocker tool box

'16 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX

*SOLD* Mineral Gray 06 2500 QCSB 5.9 4x4 79k miles
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:19 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:

I also plan to ask them to grease the front double cardan joint, since it is awkward to do and has not been done yet, despite me already doing two oil changes.
This is not something I would pay for unless you are able to observe it being done and grease coming out of the cardan joint. First, it's not D day on it, by any means, Your front driveshaft doesn't even spin in 2wd and every truck since 02? to 2014 the frotn ds spins all the time and most of them never get greased.
I'm at 170k miles and have greased it 3-4 times and still on original front driveshaft components. Probably have, more than most, 20-30k miles in 4wd at this point.
Second, this grease point seems to be a frigging mystery to most, including mechanics (not good mechanics, but some mechanics), so the chance of it getting done right or done at all unless you're supervising it is not 100%.

It's a good time to just remove the front driveshaft, then it's easier to grease and a great time to anti seize the driveshaft bolts so they're not rusted in 10 years form now when you do have to work on it.
On a new style Ram with CAD fornt axle, unless I was using 4x4 alot, I'd grease it once every 50k miles maybe.
6401nohl and Jimmy N. like this.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Interesting, Grit Dog.

I use 4x4 in my truck a fair amount, not just during the 4 months of winter but also during the 5th month of mud season, and then most times I am on dirt roads which have uphill sections.

Maybe I'll just do it myself. I saw the sticker under the hood that says every oil change, which I assume is every 15k.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:48 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Maybe I'll just do it myself. I saw the sticker under the hood that says every oil change, which I assume is every 15k.
Umm, technically that should be at least every six months, if you follow the manual.

Like grit Dog, I'll get around to put some lube in mine one of these years.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:19 AM

Garage
Even if the alignment is free, if they set it to factory specs, it's not even worth doing. Total toe must be dead zero or at least 0.05 degrees (see Thuren alignment form). The factory toe spec is causing your front tire scrubbing. Mine was way out when I bought it with 17k and the fronts were showing some scrubbing on the outside too. It also pulled to the right slightly. I took it to an independent shop and had the toe set to 0 and tires rotated. The pulling went away and I've put on about 6k miles since then, so my tires are now more evenly worn (I run 55 psi in the rear fwiw).

My wheel is also slightly off to the left, but I decided not to let them cut the d-link welds and try to get it right. Figured I'd get a Synergy d-link and set it right some day.

2017 Ram 2500 Limited Crew 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 68RFE, Bone Stock
2001 Chaparral 196 SSI Sport, 5.0 EFI Mercruiser/Alpha, Big Air Vapor Tower Livin' the Dream
The Following User Says Thank You to IN_Boater87 For This Useful Post:
troverman (08-23-2019)
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

I have an older truck than yours but the same solid axle creature. Earlier this summer I requested the shop to align the truck to the Thuren specification as I was tired of the wander down the highway. It would flat out wear a person out on a longer drive. They aligned it to the high side of the factory spec. I gave them the benefit of the doubt (good local reputation) - and tried it for a week. NO GOOD! I went back and insisted on the exact spec. They did - the truck has never been more pleasant to drive down the road. The truck has 90k miles and many newer parts in the front end. I have replaced many parts on my own in search of better steering - I bet much of this could have cleared up years ago with the correct alignment approach.
I would let the dealer piddle with looking for worn parts, bad tire, etc... but I would also have the discussion about the alignment specification.
Jimmy N. likes this.

2009 Dodge 2500 CTD QCSB - EFI live, Max Brake trailer brake controller, ARE cap, Carli ball joints and track bar, 4" quiet exhaust - Pro-flo #8990 muffler plus oem muffler & oem catalyst downpipe.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:11 AM
Cummins Fanatic

You guys are not alone. Ordered my '16 dually, considerable wear on the Nexans at 12,000 miles.....totally shot and replaced at 25k. Put the high dollar Michelin's on and replaced the fronts at 55k to Coopers and just replaced the rears at 62k. The good news is the tire place got me $75 per tire from Michelin warranty so that eased the pain. I had the dealer check alignment at 12k and tried to have them replace tires with no luck. It blows my mind that this truck can only get 25-30k miles out of a set of tires....absolutely ridiculous but what do you do? Totally love the truck though but my 2002 F350 dually did not have this issue?

'16 3500 Laramie Mega 4x4 DRW Aisin Air 4.10
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyman2 View Post
You guys are not alone. Ordered my '16 dually, considerable wear on the Nexans at 12,000 miles.....totally shot and replaced at 25k. Put the high dollar Michelin's on and replaced the fronts at 55k to Coopers and just replaced the rears at 62k. The good news is the tire place got me $75 per tire from Michelin warranty so that eased the pain. I had the dealer check alignment at 12k and tried to have them replace tires with no luck. It blows my mind that this truck can only get 25-30k miles out of a set of tires....absolutely ridiculous but what do you do? Totally love the truck though but my 2002 F350 dually did not have this issue?
MY 2017 F-350 dually was not wearing the front tires at all in 13k miles. It had Michelin LTX AT2 but I don't really think the tire choice matters. The truck either wears out tires or it doesn't.

In my case, the left front is doing a lot better, wearing much more evenly. That's why I feel this is an alignment issue. The truck goes in tomorrow. I'm going to make it very clear my concern is the worn out right front tire and the truck pulling to the right. I want the truck to go straight down the road and I want the steering wheel perfectly centered.
crispyboy likes this.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:59 PM
Diesel Head

trover, I wouldn't let them weld the D link until it's aligned to your satisfaction unless you're cool with a crooked steering wheel for however long and steering that is potentially not centered.
First, tire wear problem. Good luck with the dealer techs and I mean that in a kind way, but anyway. Get alignment (caster, camber (not adj, but possible bent axle), toe and center the steering wheel) then when it's to your satisfaction, let them do the recall.

Otherwise I can imagine the conversation going my like this...
You... "You welded my steering and it still is eating a tire and pulls to the right like an old tow truck."
Them..."Mr. Roverman, I'm sorry, we can't doo anything, we just welded yer steering shut. Uhh, you can talk to my supervisor but he's not here now, out taking his GED classes so he can learn himself about cars n stuff."

You...."FCK"

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode