Thoughts on going from 2500 to 3500 DRW - Page 6 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:32 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Well, the only difference between those two trucks are the badges, why would they have different ratings???

And, you don't think they could ever have misinformation or typos in their info?
Sure, I agree in the different numbers being odd and they could have typos. Like I said, who or what do you go by for capacity if not the manufacturer?

Pearl White '16 Longhorn 2500 CCSB 6.7 4x4 auto-level 5th wheel prep B&W ball kit, Andersen Ultimate, Amp Powersteps, Amp BedStep, Camlocker tool box

'16 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX

*SOLD* Mineral Gray 06 2500 QCSB 5.9 4x4 79k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:37 AM
White Lightning

Thanked 5,960 Times in 3,217 Posts
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMW View Post
Right on cue, the same dudes, half-a$$ reading the thread (if at all)...

I already posted my opinion on the drawbacks of a dually towing your 5er, but let me bottom line it for the slow kids:

Unless you are some kind of campground hermit, once you park the 5er - you will have to go outside the campground. At that point, it's like daily-driving the dually in an unknown location. Most places, especially tourist areas, are not fit for a dually.
I did some serious traveling this summer, and due to the size of my setup, I have to stay at campgrounds accommodating big rigs. I have not seen a single dually pulling a 5er, not one! Most people seem to choose the motor home + small vehicle alternative to a dually with a heavy 5er, and rightfully so.

Not the same thing. My mirrors are usually above the cars next to me in a parking spot (or I can fold them), so no issue there, but your dually fenders are right at vehicle level. Not an issue in Texas (or any rural setting), but try parking that dually at the parking lots of a beach town...
We’re not slow kids........you just have extremely, extremely poor written communication skills, coupled with extremely poor cognitive thinking abilities, often times exhibited by passing off opine as fact, in a cookie cutter type format.

Since we are now into name calling.....I’ll just say you’re a Puss that apparently is either too skeeeeeerred and / or too inept to drive a DRW on a daily basis.

Maybe you can start another thread with value.....like your air filter thread?
honestcharlie56 and Jimmy N. like this.

2018 RAM 4500 Chassis Tradesman Crew Cab 60 C/A 4WD, 6.7L Cummins, AISIN AS69RC Transmission, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Chrome Appearance Group, Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Chrome Tubular Steps, 52+22 gallon fuel tanks, 5.0 Radio, Single Disc CD Player, 225/70R19.5 Continental HDRs, Aluminum Wheels, Parkview Backup Camera, Trailer Brake Controller. Equipped with a CM SK Series flatbed w/B&W Turnover Ball. Purchased new April 23, 2018. Currently : 170,020 miles and 2,997 hours as of October 13th, 2019 (Average Miles Per Hour = 56.7)

Last edited by gsbrockman; 08-23-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:20 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My objection to a dually is strictly personal. I personally think they suck if you don't need it.

If you need it, you need it. End of story.

If you don't, then it's more of a 'statement' truck. And that's okay, too. You have the right to buy whatever the heck you wanna buy.

But to tell an FNG that there's no real difference is just plain wrong.

You wanna tell me there's no difference? Go for it. I will assign your opinion the worth it deserves. I've heard ducks fart underwater before.

But to tell a person who has never owned one and has no real experience driving one that there's no difference......?

That's just wrong.

YOU can't tell the difference? Good on you. You're wonderful. Super. But most of the rest of the world CAN tell the difference. A big difference.

It would be better to tell the OP what to look for when you first buy and start to operate one rather than puff out your chest and tell him that you can't tell the difference.

Just my opinion. And not worth a dime
Rodan and sifactor like this.

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:24 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifactor View Post
The sticker is the 10,000 GVWR which says my payload is like 1800 lbs :-\ That's what I was referring to since the pin weight of the trailers I'm looking at start around 2400 lbs. I know my truck can handle considerably more than that, though.

With the 3.42 gears, the max tow rating for my truck (according to Ram's website) is around 13,000 lbs. My only concern with that number is: will towing up to 14,000 lb put too much stress on the 68RFE transmission with the 3.42s?

Also, to address the "stiffy for a new truck", that's definitely not the case. I'm actually pretty hesitant to get it, I'm just looking at the long term investment.
The GVWR is mostly a made-up number in order to qualify for the DOT's Class 2B Truck classification

Any more weight than that puts it into a class 3 class truck. Which, in many (read; most) States changes everything from tags to inaurance or inspections. Your dually would be a Class 3. Have you looked into what will change if you bring that one home?

As to max tow rating, I'm seeing over 17,000lbs towing for my truck but only 15,430 for your MegaCab. https://www.ramtrucks.com/content/da...Ram%202500.pdf

Again, IMHO mostly made-up numbers that they backward figure. The Mega cab weighs only about 350lbs more than the regular Crew Cab. Unless there's something about the MegaCab that makes it weaker??

I don't get it....

But, here's the biggie.......

If you're more comfortable, if you're gonna feel safer in a Dually, then that is absolutely what you should get.

I'm just trying to give you both sides of the equation.
sifactor likes this.

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Diesel Freak

Speaking of feeling safe, after coming from a 31ft Tioga Class C pulling a Jeep Liberty toad, my current setup is an absolute dream by comparison, especially when it comes to white knuckles. But I do have a relatively light fiver.

Pearl White '16 Longhorn 2500 CCSB 6.7 4x4 auto-level 5th wheel prep B&W ball kit, Andersen Ultimate, Amp Powersteps, Amp BedStep, Camlocker tool box

post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:48 PM
BFD
Diesel Freak

For the OP who was wondering about 3.73 gears. I have stock 18"... 70mph=1750rpm, 75=1875 and 80=2000rpm. I love it for towing and its also fine unloaded. Craig
sifactor likes this.

2012 CCLB 4wd dually, 3.73, 68rfe, Fass, Deleted, EFI engine/trans tuning, BD IH SXE 363/80/.91 w/ebrake, 4" turbo back/51" Quiet Tone. DD and tow vehicle.
Olde too soon... Schmart too late!
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Just to close the loop on this, I ended up trading in my 2500 for a 3500 dually. I went with another 3500 with a 68RFE because it was only a 5 hour drive instead of 10, it's black, has auto level, and I decided I didn't want the extra maintenance of the Aisin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7554 (1).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	747.4 KB
ID:	855679  
SeventyGTX and troverman like this.

2018 Ram 3500 CTD MegaCab Dually 4x4 Limited Tungsten
SOLD: 2018 Ram 2500 CTD MegaCab 4x4 Limited Tungsten
post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Diesel Freak

Nice truck, enjoy it!
sifactor likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode