New 3500 w/ Aisin - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
New 3500 w/ Aisin

Just signed up to the forum. Found a 2018 3500 with the Aisin and am looking for some input on a few things. This is my first diesel and I’m looking to have this truck for many many years.

I am looking for advice on what to change my fuel filters / water separators / oil filters to. I have heard the CAT filters are a commonly used part on this engine. Also, what oil are most of you guys running in your 6.7s? I will be driving about 12k annually, mostly highway however I do have some infrequent town driving to handle that the truck will not be fully up to temp for prior to shutoff. Looking for a good all around stout oil.

In terms of deleting the truck, I am planning on doing this before I hit 5k miles. The dealer I purchased the truck from was adiment that this will not void warranty, as long as I am not modifying any actual engine components. Is this correct, or is this ludacris.

Before I am able to delete, I am looking to add a cold air intake and a banks monster ram. Given that I have the aisin I am not planning on running anything crazy on this truck as a clean long life is my goal. I have seen the banks testing results and am looking for input on wether the banks cold air is worth it, or if anyone is running an afe intake to keep the function of the active air. My intent with an intake and monster ram is to simply let the truck breathe cleanly and hear some more fun sounds. Also - is there any benefit or negative impact to my 6.7 if I am to remove the intake baffle in the time being?

Any other advice is much appreciated, like I said this is my first diesel - I have a case of hot shot every day additive and am planning on a long healthy life for this truck.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Cummins Nut

From my little bit of reading and experience factory filters are good filters. But Iíll stick around to see what others have to say.

As far as oil I run rotella 15-40 al year round in my semi(Iím in Canada and it gets cold) but they start in a warm (5 Celsius) shop. As far as my ctd itís running 15-40 rotella right now and once it gets cold probably swap to 0-40 t6 rotella.

The factory intake allows the truck to breath just fine. It doesnít have breathing issues till north of 500hp. A less restrictive filter system is just that. It will let in fine particles. Iíd suggest sticking with the stock box. They also pull air from the engine compartment. Stock box pulls air from fender or grill. Not sure how it decides.
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:16 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkysh View Post

In terms of deleting the truck, I am planning on doing this before I hit 5k miles. The dealer I purchased the truck from was adiment that this will not void warranty, as long as I am not modifying any actual engine components. Is this correct, or is this ludacris.

Before I am able to delete, I am looking to add a cold air intake and a banks monster ram. Given that I have the aisin I am not planning on running anything crazy on this truck as a clean long life is my goal. I have seen the banks testing results and am looking for input on wether the banks cold air is worth it, or if anyone is running an afe intake to keep the function of the active air. My intent with an intake and monster ram is to simply let the truck breathe cleanly and hear some more fun sounds. Also - is there any benefit or negative impact to my 6.7 if I am to remove the intake baffle in the time being?

Any other advice is much appreciated, like I said this is my first diesel - I have a case of hot shot every day additive and am planning on a long healthy life for this truck.

Thanks in advance
Warranty on powertrain will be gone.
5-40w syn will cover you through out your ambient temps.
Intake horn etc... is fluff under the hood, especially with the stock charger. Fuel additives are for people who want to feel good. Anti-gell May be a useful additive in winter.
dirtRoads likes this.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High tech old school and finally lovin it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:57 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
No reason to delete. Leave it alone and keep your warranty. Delete and time immediately voids the warranty. Plus no tunes for the Aidan. It will not like any additional power. Anyone on here with Aisin problems is due to deleting. These trucks run forever stock.

For filters the factory system is great. Cold air intake is worthless. S&B is the only one I would consider with their dry filter. Run fleetgaurd or mopar oil and fuel filters.
boshog, bootsy1968 and Electrojake like this.

73 K4CTD
2018 2500 QC SB Laramie - stock for now
2005 2500 QC SB, Rebuilt at 330K miles, Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

I want to delete to keep my engine from choking on itself over time, I’ve obviousky heard of problems after deleting but if done right I’m told they can be avoided.

I’m not entirely concerned with voiding warranty as there are fantastic Cummins performance shops out by me here in Ohio. What problems are folks running into with a deleted aisin? I am looking to run nothing more than a 5hp or 0hp “tune” just to allow the truck to function after deleted.

How about the air intake baffle? Any issues removing this?
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:47 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkysh View Post

How about the air intake baffle? Any issues removing this?
This has been discussed over the years but none of us have first-hand knowledge of why it is there, many theories though. One thing is for certain, it is an expensive baffle and if it wasn't needed it wouldn't be there. Why it is there, seems the consensus is to present non-turbulent airflow to the turbo.

Some say removing it allows the turbo to be heard better, others didn't notice any difference including me.

2015 3500 LongHorn CC, 4x4, SRW, CDT, 68RFE
2013 1500 Laramie CC, 4x4, 8 speed
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:56 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Deleting causes issues. These trucks are built to have the emissions crap in place. If your after a reliable truck then leave it alone. If your after power and donít care about reliability the delete it.

If the truck was built without emissions, then yes, itíd be more reliable. Problem is it is designed from the ground up with that stuff so removing it inherently causes issues.

Donít ruin a brand new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zaicran likes this.
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Cummins Nut

If your looking to spend money on the new truck then a nice coil level and shock setup would be a good place. Nice mudflaps to protect the body and some nice steps.

But like mentioned donít pull a new truck apart. At least give it a year before you delete incase any issues arise.

The way I understand it the turbo is the restrictive part of these trucks. And it can produce more power than your trans can handle. So logically spending any money is pointless. And will decrease the life of the truck.
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

good advice here...I hope you listen and don't do the delete or air intake mods.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW long box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
B&W Ram Companion
2015 Wildcat 317RL, 12,000 lbs
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the advice guys don’t get me wrong. I by no means am heart set on deleting the truck. It has 289 miles on it and is going to be a garage queen for the time being.

I’m just wondering how the concensus here differed from the shops I have spoken with. A contact has a 3500 dually with the aisin on compounds and a +80hp tune with zero issues for the past 80k miles (and they romp on it)

To reiterate, I want a 0hp I crease in tune, simple to remove the egr cooler and put a straight pipe on the truck. How is this altering anything to the point where I’ll cause problems ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jkysh For This Useful Post:
kyrver (08-14-2019)
post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:12 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Deleting isn’t going to ruin his truck. Quit it guys.

It’s his decision. Present him with facts not garbage scare tactics.

The facts are that your power train warranty is gone if you delete. Period. FCA isn’t going to, nor should they, warranty the power train on a truck that’s been modified from stock engine parameters. The fact is that items downstream of the engine are designed around a certain power output. Increase the power going through and you increase the wear on components. Upgrade appropriately and you’ll have long lasting components.

Another fact is that many states do emission testing. Your truck won’t pass that deleted.

Finally, one last point to ponder. If you plan on using the truck commercially, you may eventually get checked running through a state, like California, that cares. Fines can be hefty.

If none of those items concerns or applies to you, have at it. We still live in a country where personal property has some small meaning.

That all said (and this is coming from a guy who up to this point has deleted every 6.7 he’s owned), these trucks are stone cold reliable stock. The reverse scare tactics telling you to delete for economy and reliability are just as garbage.

16 3500 SRW RCLB G56 4x4- Thuren/Carli/Fox - 285 75/18 Cooper AT3s; FTE / Aero Turbine / ARP / Anarchy / Valair / Pusher / GDP she gone- totaledówaiting on my 19 to be delivered

11 SRT8 Challenger M6 - Corsa; 295 Nittos

post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the input here ^ I didn’t just stumble across a 3500 with an aisin and buy it instead of a corolla... I’ve wanted a Cummins for over a decade now and was finally able to pull the trigger. I’ve done plenty of research and learned a ton prior to joining here.

I am simply looking for info regarding what oil to use, when / if I delete how the aisin will handle a 0-50hp tune and if an intake is worth it (which it doesn’t sound like)

Any members on here have deleted aisin trucks without any issues? For reference I am in Ohio about an hour from firepunk.

Here is the truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E8E94F0E-A47E-4CB8-87B4-800547E88ACD_1565616367159.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	562.6 KB
ID:	853933  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode