Overheating while towing - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Overheating while towing

Hello

Thanks for allowing me to join this forum

I'm a little desperate needing some advice. I'm out on vacation hauling my 5th wheel, just me, my wife and my dog, and my rig is having some overheating issues. Before we go any further I want to add I'm going to take it into a shop before I move on - its just I would like to go in well informed and not hands clasped tightly around my ankles.

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins with 60K miles that I have recently added the Edge Juice with Attitude. I'm towing a 27' Sundance XLT 5th Wheel with a "Dry Weight" of 7900 lbs lightly loaded, Probably in the area of 8500 lbs on the hitch.

EGTs are through the roof.

Damm near impossible to get EGTs under 1000 deg F at any time while towing. Barely touch the pedal and EGTs hit 1250 Degs and going up. I bought this Rig as my Weekend Toy and I don't ever want the EGTs over 1250 Degs as I would like it to last a while. When going up hills I downshift to 5th at 1850 RPMs doing 65 MPH and the EGTs hover around 1100 - 1200.

Oil Temps are 10 Degs higher then the coolant Temps but as always reluctant to come back down once the rig starts to cool itself down. I hit 230 Degs on oil temp briefly as I pull over and let it cool down idling at that point. The Clutch Fan seems to engage when the engine coolant temps reach 220 Degs but that is too late the oil is already at 230 Deg by then.

Definitely seems to be running hotter now that I've added the Edge Tuner. I had my mechanic install it and this guy is a very capable diesel mechanic. Before the Edge Tuner I blew over Echo Summit ( 7600 ft ) hauling a 5th Wheel in a Mad-Dash and the highest oil temp I hit was 224 Deg F. I have since set the Edge Tunner at #1 trying to keep the Temps down with almost no effect.

I'm sitting outside Missoula Montana and would like to make it back to California without trashing this motor with heat. I could use any personal recommendations of a good mechanic to go over this thing and make sure my mechanic back home didn't miss any thing. I am changing the oil again just because it hit 230 Degs. I've already looked around under the hood for anything unplugged and didn't find any thing. What I did notice is some thing "Clicking" underneath the truck in the area of the firewall.

Thanks for listening to me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Cummins Fanatic

First,Iím no expert and my truck is bone stock.
Second, I have a 2016 3500 srw.
I tow up to max capacity quite often (currently in Tulsa Oklahoma on my way to Dallas pulling a 16,000+ pound 5th wheel...). My coolant temps get to 220-230 when pulling a grade and Iíve seen my oil temps up to 240. Iíve had no issues at all as these temps come right down to ďnormalĒ once back on flat ground
200ís for coolant temp and 206-214 for oil temp.
Personally I wouldnít worry about it but youíve added aftermarket stuff and I assume thatís a tuner? If so, take it off. My guess, based on your post, is that the truck didnít run ďhotĒ prior to the turner you added
Idk if that helps but thatís what I would do...all the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boshog likes this.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Cummins Nut

Set it back to stock and unhook the tuner. See if the problem goes away. I'm betting that it will!
BrianF likes this.

2017 Ram 3500 SRW, Aisin transmission. 2006,six speed, Anarchy tunes, BBi 0.5 injectors, arp head studs,, cummins tuner he351/s475 compound, leveled, 35's, amp power steps, muffler delete, isspro ev2 fuel rail pressure, boost and pyro gauges, southbend dd 3250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:10 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,716 Times in 912 Posts
What setting is the JWA set at? Turn that thing all the way down to stock setting or as close to stock as it will go. I remember when the fourth gens came out and deleting wasn't an option, JWA was the only option. Lots of guys complaining about high egts IIRC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013-2500 Laramie 4x4-CC-Long Box-Auto-3:42
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Diesel Head

Waiting for one of the long-haul guys to chime in.

I don't see the fuss, but I don't see a lot of things these days

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:40 AM
White Lightning

Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,205 Posts
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
The newer emissions equipped trucks are designed around higher EGTís. Almost all of the entire engine is more robust in regards to longevity when it comes to EGTís.......much more so than their 5.9L counterparts. 1,250*F is nothing for these 6.7L trucks.

Additionally.....what is the source of your EGT readings? Do you have an actual EGT probe mounted in the exhaust manifold, or are you using one of the four or five PID readings through the EDGE? Probe installation and location is everything.

For the weight RV youíre pulling.......Iíd simply leave the EDGE set on one or zero. Your truck should yank that little RV around like a rag doll.

Have you read through the EDGE instructions? If I recall......there should be an ability to defuel it based on EGTís. Iíd simply defuel it by setting it to zero whilst towing....
Jimmy N. likes this.

2018 RAM 4500 Chassis Tradesman Crew Cab 60Ē C/A 4WD, 6.7L Cummins, AISIN AS69RC Transmission, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Chrome Appearance Group, Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Chrome Tubular Steps, 52+22 gallon fuel tanks, 5.0 Radio, Single Disc CD Player, 225/70R19.5 Continental HDRís, Aluminum Wheels, Parkview Backup Camera, Trailer Brake Controller. Equipped with a CM SK Series flatbed w/B&W Turnover Ball. Purchased new April 23, 2018. Currently : 150,076 miles and 2,654 hours as of July 12, 2019 (Average Miles Per Hour = 56.5)
The Following User Says Thank You to gsbrockman For This Useful Post:
Freakindj2 (08-10-2019)
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbrockman View Post
The newer emissions equipped trucks are designed around higher EGTís. Almost all of the entire engine is more robust in regards to longevity when it comes to EGTís.......much more so than their 5.9L counterparts. 1,250*F is nothing for these 6.7L trucks.
Hi Thank you for your reply

I was under the impression 1250 Deg F was a hard and fast number derived from the "Malleable Range" of Stainless Steel as in Stainless Steel Valves. But upon checking it is listed as 1700 Deg F.

Quote:
Additionally.....what is the source of your EGT readings? Do you have an actual EGT probe mounted in the exhaust manifold, or are you using one of the four or five PID readings through the EDGE? Probe installation and location is everything.
Pyro / Thermocouple installed in the manifold as prescribed by Edge Products

Quote:
For the weight RV youíre pulling.......Iíd simply leave the EDGE set on one or zero. Your truck should yank that little RV around like a rag doll.
Already down on #1 which is the stock setting - it helps some but the temps still seem High to me. I could discount the Pyro supplied with the tuner but the coolant and oil temps are tracking the EGT Temps so I am inclined to believe them.

Quote:
Have you read through the EDGE instructions? If I recall......there should be an ability to defuel it based on EGTís. Iíd simply defuel it by setting it to zero whilst towing....

I wish it "Defueled at an Alarm Point". The Banks set up I had on a 2000 F250 7.3 did that and I loved it. It does however have an Alarm Setting which I have set for 1300 Deg F.

The truck has a ton of power but it just keeps blowing into the HOT range too easily for comfort. I hauled 5th wheels with that old 7.3 I had over the summit coming out of Ashland Oregon and I was the fastest thing on 4 axels and only hit my alarm at 1250 Deg F once or twice very briefly.

It does help to downshift into 5th gear. I am typically running 65 mph in 6th on Cruise Control. Since the directions to the truck said I didn't have to switch into the "Tow / Haul" mode until 10K lbs I thought no problem. Pretty much the same way I ran that 7.3
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

You cannot base these new diesels on the old diesels. Or, rather, you shouldn't. They do run hotter.

BMW has their normal operating oil temp at 250*F now. A good synthetic is good to 290*F. And, as I recall, there's not an actual temp sensor for the oil unless you've installed one. The one in the readout is a calculated reading, from my understanding.

Coolant temps seem normal. EGT's seem normal. Put synthetic oil in it (Rotella T6 5w-40 for me) and drive it.

I've been really happy with mine, even towing 10k in 100*F heat at 80mph. It'll just stroll along like it's nothing.
RammerJam likes this.

17 2500 CCSB Laramie Longhorn, Steel Blue over Saddle/black, CTS2, stock
01 2500, QCSB 4x4, Fass, 3rd gen brakes, 4th gen steering, Revmax fully built, Blue Chip VP44, Edge Comp
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 PM
Diesel Head

It does help to downshift into 5th gear. I am typically running 65 mph in 6th on Cruise Control. Since the directions to the truck said I didn't have to switch into the "Tow / Haul" mode until 10K lbs I thought no problem. Pretty much the same way I ran that 7.3

Your 7.3 probably had 4.10 gears in the rear end as opposed to our 3.42 -- Big difference

Also, your top gear in the 4R100 was a .71 overdrive in 4th

In your 68R it is .63 in 6th

Combine those two and you've got a massive difference in highway gearing.

In our trucks, 5th gear IS an overdrive gear (.82). Use it. 65MPH towing in 6th isn't ideal

Tow in 5th and see how you like it. If you don't like it........ Then slow down a little bit.

That's just opinion. Your truck, your bill if it breaks.

Good luck
Jimmy N. likes this.

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
The Following User Says Thank You to RammerJam For This Useful Post:
Freakindj2 (08-10-2019)
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Cummins Fanatic

So the last time I pulled my trailer thats about 9000lbs in Southern Oregon between Crater Lake and Diamond Lake my oil temp got to 230 a couple times and my coolant got to the 220 range. I'm all stock but I wasn't too worried because of the fact its stock.

From a few years ago I remember reading that if you keep the EGTs at 1400+ consistently then you will have issues but 1250 doesnt seem too high. Remeber, in stock for the truck is designed to get hot to help burn off any excess soot.

If you are still worried about the temp drop to 5th or 4th and keep your speed slower. Yeah it's fun to fly uphill loaded cause you have the power but if you dont wanna break stuff slow down a few MPH and your tr temps will go down.

2018 Big Horn CCLB G56 4x4 Silver bone stock
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:12 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

65 in 6th towing. LOL No way.

completely empty I don't let mine shift into 6th until 60mph. (and it won't, in tow/haul).

6th towing really starts to shine once you're over 75mph. Preferably closer to 80-85mph. I don't advocate towing this quickly - use your judgment. But I can say that I have comfortably set the cruise control on 80mph with a 10k load and just loafed along at not even 2000 rpm. Even with that weight and speed I'm still between 10-11mpg.

My poor old 2001 Ram would be beating it's heart out at that speed, and it would not be a comfortable, stress free ride, with having to monitor EGT's and plan for hills.

The gears really help these trucks. But do keep in mind, ideally you want to be between 1700-2200RPM. Any lower and you're really close to lugging it, especially with a load, and higher than 2200 you'll have a lot of power, but at the expense of economy.
Jimmy N. likes this.

17 2500 CCSB Laramie Longhorn, Steel Blue over Saddle/black, CTS2, stock
01 2500, QCSB 4x4, Fass, 3rd gen brakes, 4th gen steering, Revmax fully built, Blue Chip VP44, Edge Comp
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Cummins Fan

I'm a newbie but I recently saw 233 degree oil temp on a recent pull up I80 EB over Donner Summit. I was pulling a 4000lb trailer.
The forum advised that oil temp is normal.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode