2014 cummins random boost loss - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2014 cummins random boost loss

Bear with me here as i'm currently on vacation, driving and towing with the truck.
truck is a 2014 cummins, 40,000 miles, mods in sig.
long story short i performed maintenance on the truck before heading out with the trailer on vacation. (oil change, air filter, etc...) I also changed to a new set of tunes sent to me from CTT/HPP.
Truck runs fine and shifts great but will randomly drop to ZERO boost. This happens at different boost levels from say 15psi up to 36psi+. No codes, no CEL, no smoke, and you'll drive for a bit, boost will come back but then fall to ZERO the next time you get a good load on it.
The truck will create and hold 36+ psi with NO trailer but if i push it hard enough (i.e- foot to the floor maintaining max boost for an extended amount of time) it will drop to 0psi unloaded as well, again, no codes/CEL's, no smoke.
i'm goint to flash back to my previous set of tunes and see if it still happens but was wondering if anyone had anything else i should check out as well? PID's to monitor, sensors to check, etc...
appreciate the help!

2014 granite crystal laramie 4x4 3500 CC SRW thuren coils/shocks, Edge CTS, EfI live by HPP, 4" TBE, EGR & cooler delete, grid heater delete and relocate by GDP, GDP Horn, REVMAX 550, DDP injectors, COMPOUNDS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,570 Posts
You'd have to be a good looking woman before I'd "bare" with you...

As to your truck issue, your first thought of going back to a previous tune when you didn't have this issue is the thing to do. It sounds like the ecm is losing comm with the turbo control module, when it loses boost does the exhaust brake still work, or do you even still have the stock style turbo?

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:45 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
He has compounds. Does not say what they are though.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High tech old school and finally lovin it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
You'd have to be a good looking woman before I'd "bare" with you...

As to your truck issue, your first thought of going back to a previous tune when you didn't have this issue is the thing to do. It sounds like the ecm is losing comm with the turbo control module, when it loses boost does the exhaust brake still work, or do you even still have the stock style turbo?
sorry the compound set up is the hardway performance kit retaining the factory turbo/exhaust brake. When i lose boost, i also lose the exhaust braking as well.

2014 granite crystal laramie 4x4 3500 CC SRW thuren coils/shocks, Edge CTS, EfI live by HPP, 4" TBE, EGR & cooler delete, grid heater delete and relocate by GDP, GDP Horn, REVMAX 550, DDP injectors, COMPOUNDS!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:34 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrad313 View Post
sorry the compound set up is the hardway performance kit retaining the factory turbo/exhaust brake. When i lose boost, i also lose the exhaust braking as well.
Then my thought of the actuator module not working is backed up by the fact that the EB is also not working.

So, either the ecm is losing comm with the module, or the module went belly up.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
The Following User Says Thank You to Ltngdrvr For This Useful Post:
Jayrad313 (07-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode