Best Truck Cover? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

7Likes
  • 1 Post By GMconvert
  • 3 Post By Ltngdrvr
  • 1 Post By dillonjm
  • 1 Post By zran22
  • 1 Post By NWFL3500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Best Truck Cover?

Guys, I am currently getting ready to go on a 6 month vacation, and want my truck to be protected by a cover. I plan on throwing it on and forgetting about it. I do live in NC, where hurricanes happen, so need something sturdy and most importantly, quality. What do yall recommend to stand against the heat, rain, and hurricanes? lol

18' 2500 Tradesman, 2" Thuren Level w/Overlands, 18x9 Fuel Titans +20mm, 285/75 AT3 XLTs, ScanGaugeII, PC31, OEM Remote Start, King Steering Damper, Steering Gear Box Stabilizer, Thuren track bar, Laramie Chrome Grille, Infinity Dash & Door Speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:58 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
I have had Covercraft and Rampage Products. The covercraft lasted a couple of years. The Rampage has been great, especially for the price I paid. Would definitely purchase the Rampage again.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
zran22 likes this.

'12 Lone Star 3500 4x4 (SRW), CCLB, 6.7L, 3.73LS, 68RFE, Airlift 5000 Bags, Autometer Boost & EGT, Banks CAI (w/Outwears Pre-Filter), Torklift Camper Tie Downs, Door Vinyl Delete, DualLiner, Hellwig Sway Bar, HBS 2", Carli Control Arms, & 19.5 Wheels
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:16 PM

I've been in the same boat for a while. I'll wait until a good used one shows up somewhere close to me. Or until I get annoyed. There's been quite a few diamondback covers show up, just not the right model, or they're still asking close to retail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,571 Posts
I'd recommend a reinforced concrete garage.
Dogpatch, Walker111 and zran22 like this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
If it’s going to stay outside I wouldn’t cover it. More chance of the cover scratching the paint than anything else.

If you can garage it that is good. With a cover in the garage attached to a battery tender, where it gets driven a bit once a month is better.

I’ve stored my vehicles this way for the standard 6-9 month vacations as well as the longer extended stay visits. They were operationally in great shape when I got home.
Walker111 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

16 3500 SRW RCLB G56 4x4- Thuren/Carli/Fox - 285 75/18 Cooper AT3s; FTE / Aero Turbine / ARP / Anarchy / Valair / Pusher / GDP

11 SRT8 Challenger M6 - Corsa; 295 Nittos

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:41 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
I'd recommend a reinforced concrete garage.
And be sure itís on high ground.

2014 2500 Laramie Crew, short bed. 2014 30í 10k Timber Ridge TT, Nascar Nut.......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
If itís going to stay outside I wouldnít cover it. More chance of the cover scratching the paint than anything else.

If you can garage it that is good. With a cover in the garage attached to a battery tender, where it gets driven a bit once a month is better.

Iíve stored my vehicles this way for the standard 6-9 month vacations as well as the longer extended stay visits. They were operationally in great shape when I got home.
Good point. I'll look up where ppl store their vehicles around here. I wouldn't dare allow my wife to drive it though. Instructions are to press the remote start thingy twice, for 2 times a month. That's all lol.
dillonjm likes this.

18' 2500 Tradesman, 2" Thuren Level w/Overlands, 18x9 Fuel Titans +20mm, 285/75 AT3 XLTs, ScanGaugeII, PC31, OEM Remote Start, King Steering Damper, Steering Gear Box Stabilizer, Thuren track bar, Laramie Chrome Grille, Infinity Dash & Door Speakers.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:37 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
If itís going to stay outside I wouldnít cover it. More chance of the cover scratching the paint than anything else.

Iíve stored my vehicles this way for the standard 6-9 month vacations as well as the longer extended stay visits. They were operationally in great shape when I got home.
I agree. Unless your gonna clean the heck out of it, buy a cover that fits nice and tight and has a cushy soft inside, your truck is better off without it.

Car covers whipping around in the wind/weather are terrible on the paint. Just put a nice coat of wax on it and a sunshade in the windshield.

16 CTD 2500 Bright White Crew Cab

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Cummins Nut

Maybe you could get a storage unit, not sure if they run large enough for these trucks?

I would also just use a battery tender and avoid the remote starts and idle time.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:16 PM

During my last 13 month "vacation" to another country truck was parked in the garage, car was outside with a sunshade in the windshield. Unhooked batteries in both, no issue with reconnect and start on either when I got back.

I preferred completely sitting for the time versus short start and idle.

Definitely wouldn't use a car cover outside but probably a fresh wax at the last convenient time. Inside covered or no don't think it'd make much difference
dillonjm likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFL3500 View Post
During my last 13 month "vacation" to another country truck was parked in the garage, car was outside with a sunshade in the windshield. Unhooked batteries in both, no issue with reconnect and start on either when I got back.

I preferred completely sitting for the time versus short start and idle.

Definitely wouldn't use a car cover outside but probably a fresh wax at the last convenient time. Inside covered or no don't think it'd make much difference
Weren't you worried about leaving the car out with hurricane weather? I could care less about the wife's car...My truck is a different story lol.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zran22 View Post
Weren't you worried about leaving the car out with hurricane weather?
A little bit of concern, but, it likely would have been sitting in the same place if I was home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode