Towing with turbo actuator codes - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Towing with turbo actuator codes

Hello all,

I have the dreaded turbo actuator codes and was wondering if anyone has any experience continuing to drive the truck (especially towing) as I am supposed to have moved my fifth wheel 4 hours north and, due to these codes, the truck is really letting me down. The dealer can't even get it in to diagnose until next Monday (another weekend lost). The check engine light seems to come and go but it is on every couple days. I have a code reader and I have listed the codes I have seen below.

I am not really noticing any other symptoms other than the check engine light is on occasionally and then goes off sometimes but the last thing I want to do is get 200 miles away from home and have something strand me on the side of the road. Now I need to find someone who can tow the truck and the camper.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

P003A - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control "A" Position Exceeded Learning Limit

P0046 - Turbo/Supercharger Boost Control A Circuit Range Performance

P00AF - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Module Performance

P020B - Cylinder 2 Injection Timing (likely not related to turbo actuator)

U010C - Lost Communication With Turbocharger / Supercharger Control Module A

2014 Laramie Crew cab with just about every option
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coachmen 392mbl Fifth wheel
'01.5 silver qcsb 4x4 NV5600, 55 Block, Heated Leather SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,579 Posts
The only thing I think might be concerning would be if it made for an over-boost situation, especially when towing, could lead to a much bigger engine issue. And, of course, would affect the exhaust brake operation.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ltngdrvr For This Useful Post:
Gixxer340 (06-11-2019)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Diesel Head

And, it must be out of warranty by now since it is a 2014, I sure wouldn't let the dealer fix it, they will charge you a fortune.
RayK likes this.

Gixxer340 (06-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

I have an extended warranty that should pick up the cost. If it does, then it finally paid for itself. The issue is just the timing.

Any thoughts on the P020B - Cylinder 2 Injection Timing? Has this been an issue that was discussed on the forum? Or do you think it is somehow related to the actuator?

Thank you
Jeff
RayK likes this.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:44 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer340 View Post
I have an extended warranty that should pick up the cost. If it does, then it finally paid for itself. The issue is just the timing.

Any thoughts on the P020B - Cylinder 2 Injection Timing? Has this been an issue that was discussed on the forum? Or do you think it is somehow related to the actuator?

Thank you
Jeff
My truck started popping the p020b, was the start of a very expensive meltdown, where eventually all 6 injectors started popping codes. Went round and round with it and nobody could figure it out, they eventually replaced all the injectors and high pressure pump. I think they just threw all those parts at it because they couldn't figure out what the issue was. It was under extended warranty so I only had to pay $100.

Can't tell you if your issue with that code is the same or not, but since yours is still under warranty as well, keep after them about it.
RayK likes this.

Gixxer340 (06-11-2019)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Hello all,

I have the dreaded turbo actuator codes and was wondering if anyone has any experience continuing to drive the truck (especially towing) as I am supposed to have moved my fifth wheel 4 hours north and, due to these codes, the truck is really letting me down. The dealer can't even get it in to diagnose until next Monday (another weekend lost). The check engine light seems to come and go but it is on every couple days. I have a code reader and I have listed the codes I have seen below.

I am not really noticing any other symptoms other than the check engine light is on occasionally and then goes off sometimes but the last thing I want to do is get 200 miles away from home and have something strand me on the side of the road. Now I need to find someone who can tow the truck and the camper.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

P003A - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control "A" Position Exceeded Learning Limit

P0046 - Turbo/Supercharger Boost Control A Circuit Range Performance

P00AF - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Module Performance

P020B - Cylinder 2 Injection Timing (likely not related to turbo actuator)

U010C - Lost Communication With Turbocharger / Supercharger Control Module A
Just went through all of this with mine. I agree to not sure towing with this is ideal. I to had an extended warranty that took care of mine completely. Had it back for week now and all is holding together currently.

The Daily Driver: 2014 2500 4x4 Laramie Maximum Steel.

97 2500 4x4 auto ext cab, 285 tires and the rest is stock as a rock. SOLD.
The Following User Says Thank You to AU2500 For This Useful Post:
Gixxer340 (06-11-2019)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2500 View Post
Just went through all of this with mine. I agree to not sure towing with this is ideal. I to had an extended warranty that took care of mine completely. Had it back for week now and all is holding together currently.
Were you also seeing the P020B code as well? I was just wondering if they might be related.

Thank you for your input
Jeff

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:36 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
My truck started popping the p020b, was the start of a very expensive meltdown, where eventually all 6 injectors started popping codes. Went round and round with it and nobody could figure it out, they eventually replaced all the injectors and high pressure pump. I think they just threw all those parts at it because they couldn't figure out what the issue was. It was under extended warranty so I only had to pay $100.

Can't tell you if your issue with that code is the same or not, but since yours is still under warranty as well, keep after them about it.
Nobody could figure it out ? That happens with a lot of brands, and they manufacture will say to throw it all at it just to get it over with. I think the clear cut answer is not out there and it's best dollar wise to throw it all at it. Cheaper in the long run.

17 3500 Laramie CCLB loaded, minus the stupid stuff.
2011 Durango Hemi Loaded
2020 KW T370 PX9 380HP 1250lbft @ 1400 RTO14908LL
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Were you also seeing the P020B code as well? I was just wondering if they might be related.

Thank you for your input
Jeff
Jeff,

I did not have an injector code pop up at this time. Not sure that they would be related or at least hopefully not.

The Daily Driver: 2014 2500 4x4 Laramie Maximum Steel.

97 2500 4x4 auto ext cab, 285 tires and the rest is stock as a rock. SOLD.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Got it diagnosed today. Turbo actuator is bad. They are going to deal with the injection timing separately although they did note it. So, hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow and I can get my camper up to Maine. The tech did say that the turbo was really clean though so I guess that is something.

$4,000 to fix. Man, am I glad I got the extended warranty. I know, I could have done it for less than $1500 myself, but, at least the warranty did something.

We'll see...

Jeff
RayK and ramrocker like this.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Diesel Head

4 grand...SHEESH!!!

They just rape people on that stuff. Thank heaven you have the warranty.
chris t likes this.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Diesel Freak

For future readers:

My actuator started failing, I really did not notice much. I would get "check engine" light, read the codes and clear em.

I then hauled my dump trailer at ~#12,000 or so over 100 miles. Thats when I noticed the issue. The truck just did not have the gunt it usually does. It felt like I was hauling #24,000 pounds.

The actuator at this point was hardly moving, the EB ( Exhaust Brake for the remainder of this post) stopped working.

So, yea you "can" tow, but it won't be as good. I would NOT tow for long, maybe enough to get home or something.

Cost me just under $10,000 to fix. I upgraded instead of going OEM.

I went with BD Iron Horn kit, BD exhaust brake, GDP Tuning, EZlynk tuner, deleted exhaust emissions (new exhaust system), EGR delete, emissions delete, and performance transmission. The 68RFE can only handle 379.999999 HP MAX. And with a tune, I figured I better get a built transmission. Even if it can only handle 380.999999HP, that little extra head room should hold for at least 24 to 30 months before I need to replace it again.

2014 RAM HD. Cummins 6.7 364.5SXE Turbo. EZLynk Tuned. Straight piped. Air-Ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode