Deleting - WA State to start testing? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Deleting - WA State to start testing?

My 2014 w/ 58K miles decided to tell me it's going to start limping in X miles. I remember when I bought this truck I saw lots of threads warning about emissions system problems and I guess my time has come so my first thought was "DELETE!".

I was about to pull the trigger when a buddy talked to a guy we know who owns a transmission shop. The original question was if the shop owner would be willing to do the delete. Not only did he say he wouldn't but he also said he wouldn't even delete his own truck due to upcoming regs in WA state. According to him, although the state is dumping emissions testing themselves, they're privatizing it specifically to catch diesel cheats and asked if he would get certified to do the checks. It seemed a little far-fetched but maybe not a lot given the tree-hugging nature of our leadership.

I can't find a thing on the internet about this. Further, this guy is a bit of a joker and it wouldn't be unlike him to spin a tale for his amusement. Still, I don't want to go to the time and expense if I'm just going to end up with something I can no longer license in a couple of years. I realize I could reinstall the system but I guess I'd rather not do anything if he's even close to being right. Has anyone else heard about anything like this, even in other states?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:43 PM
Cummins Nut

Here is Mass I have to go through a yearly emissions testing. This involves both a visual and obd2 plugin looking at all the readiness monitors.

11 months a year I run deleted. Then for month 12 I reinstall everything and reprogram. Takes about 400-500 miles to reset the emissions monitors.

Once I get my sticker I rip everything off

Itís not too bad. Takes an hour each time

For me itís worth it

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2011 2500 Mini Maxx and dpf delete pipe and egr delete
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Until this year our state had emissions testing in only the most populated counties though they mostly exempted diesels from the requirement. For them to about-face on this seems odd though since it would be privatized I suppose the cost would be minimal to them. They did the same thing w/ alcohol sales.

I'm guessing your rig must not have to deal w/ DEF. Most estimates I see/hear say it's 6 - 10 hours of labor to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartdave View Post
Here is Mass I have to go through a yearly emissions testing. This involves both a visual and obd2 plugin looking at all the readiness monitors.

11 months a year I run deleted. Then for month 12 I reinstall everything and reprogram. Takes about 400-500 miles to reset the emissions monitors.

Once I get my sticker I rip everything off

Itís not too bad. Takes an hour each time

For me itís worth it

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:56 PM
Cummins Nut

Correct. No DEF. I take off the EGR valve, NOX and DPF. Thanks it and then reprogram.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Mini Maxx and dpf delete pipe and egr delete
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

That's great you can do that. Makes me wish mine was pre-DEF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartdave View Post
Correct. No DEF. I take off the EGR valve, NOX and DPF. Thanks it and then reprogram.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:03 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamDaddy View Post
My 2014 w/ 58K miles decided to tell me it's going to start limping in X miles. I remember when I bought this truck I saw lots of threads warning about emissions system problems and I guess my time has come so my first thought was "DELETE!".

I was about to pull the trigger when a buddy talked to a guy we know who owns a transmission shop. The original question was if the shop owner would be willing to do the delete. Not only did he say he wouldn't but he also said he wouldn't even delete his own truck due to upcoming regs in WA state. According to him, although the state is dumping emissions testing themselves, they're privatizing it specifically to catch diesel cheats and asked if he would get certified to do the checks. It seemed a little far-fetched but maybe not a lot given the tree-hugging nature of our leadership.

I can't find a thing on the internet about this. Further, this guy is a bit of a joker and it wouldn't be unlike him to spin a tale for his amusement. Still, I don't want to go to the time and expense if I'm just going to end up with something I can no longer license in a couple of years. I realize I could reinstall the system but I guess I'd rather not do anything if he's even close to being right. Has anyone else heard about anything like this, even in other states?
You may be covered under warranty, itís their dime possibly!

2014 2500 Laramie Crew, short bed. 2014 30í 10k Timber Ridge TT, Nascar Nut.......
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamDaddy View Post

You have one possibly emissions related issue in 58K miles, and you immediately want to spend a bucket of money deleting it???

Could be a simple fix, or possibly no fix at all, to get rid of the cause of the countdown message.

My truck, is at 457K, all original equipment emissions intact.
Highway 4x4 and Electrojake like this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:14 AM
Cummins Nut

Pull the code! If DEF injector it’s pricey, about the cost of delete but until you know why limp mode is coming it’s conjecture.
cjgoode likes this.

2015 MC 2500 CTD 4x4 Longhorn, K&N Filter, Undercover Elite LX, Bedrug mat, AMP side steps.
2017 Durango Citadel, 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4, 2004 Ram 1500 2WD Hemi
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:50 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsbama View Post
Pull the code! If DEF injector itís pricey, about the cost of delete but until you know why limp mode is coming itís conjecture.
Its crazy to delete without knowing the cause just to fix the cause. Maybe the OP knows the code and just chose not to tell us that. Its a long list of causes for limp mode, not all are emission related. Plus it could be covered under the 5 year 100K mile warrant, close on the 5 years, but some parts in the emission system are 8 years 80K miles.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

After my third post I realized I forgot a bit of crucial info: I did initially take it to the dealer who diagnosed a NOx sensor issue - 1200.00 to fix. That's the true start of this story. For whatever reason when I tried to post this a few times last night the site wasn't letting it happen. Hope it does this time. Sorry about that.

As for pulling the code, that's another thing I don't get. I bought a good scanner and it doesn't report any current or stored codes. Seems either the dealer cleared them (without mentioned it), the problem is intermittent or maybe not real. I'm not sure how to know. I do know the dealer was emphatic that the problem isn't covered by any existing warranty or recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgoode View Post
Its crazy to delete without knowing the cause just to fix the cause. Maybe the OP knows the code and just chose not to tell us that. Its a long list of causes for limp mode, not all are emission related. Plus it could be covered under the 5 year 100K mile warrant, close on the 5 years, but some parts in the emission system are 8 years 80K miles.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:24 AM
Diesel Head

I think the NOx sensor is like $300 and a few minutes to replace. Not that I would fully trust the dealer to have properly diagnosed it. Did you get the codes that it is throwing. I assume its been in service for over 5 years, because that would be covered under the 5yr 100K warranty.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgoode View Post
I think the NOx sensor is like $300 and a few minutes to replace. Not that I would fully trust the dealer to have properly diagnosed it. Did you get the codes that it is throwing. I assume its been in service for over 5 years, because that would be covered under the 5yr 100K warranty.
In looking at the paperwork they supplied, it cost me $122 for them to report code U059F (invalid data received from NOx sensor B). If it's really just that and the cost is what you say, I'd be crazy not to fix it myself which solves the short term.

Again, my initial reaction was due to various reports on sites like these about continuing problems to expect. I also enjoy horsepower so that was a big side benefit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode