Data pac - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jimmy07

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Data pac

I was hoping someone on here could tell me where the data pac is for a 2018 ram 3500. It’s a Laramie with a G56, I hope that does change something. The directions and online videos show it to the right of the steering column. I have watched multiple videos. It’s just not there on my truck. The videos show it wrapped in foam. I did find two other connections. One wrapped in foam but it was two green and two purple wires. Another wiring harness not wrapped in foam and the colors didn’t match what I need to tap into. Any help would be appreciated. I have traced the wiring as best as I could. Felt behind all the cavities with my hand and I’m not finding anything.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,544 Posts
What the heck is a data pac???

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
What the heck is a data pac???
That’s what “they” called it. I’m looking for the wiring harness with the CanH and CanL in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Diesel Head

You're trying to connect to the CanBus?

What are you trying to hook up to it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
You're trying to connect to the CanBus?

What are you trying to hook up to it?
A remote start
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:15 PM
Diesel Freak

He may be trying to install a security bypass which is required in ‘18+ HD Rams if you want to use AlfaOBD or I imagine something similar. On the ‘18s it is easy to find but my understanding it is much higher up under the dash in the same area on the ‘19s. I have not looked as I have no need for it. The ‘18s used a long green connector that has a bunch of two pin wire connectors attached. One side of the connector had all white connectors and the other side all green if I remember right. I don’t know if the connector changed for the ‘19s.

2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:27 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen8365 View Post
That’s what “they” called it. I’m looking for the wiring harness with the CanH and CanL in it.
Here's an article that talks about hacking the CAN-H and CAN-L on a jeep, may help.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:46 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
What you’re looking for is the 10 pin trailer brake controller module connector under the dash next to the steering column. If you have the trailer brake controller, it’ll be plugged into a little black module along with a 4 pin connector. If you don’t have the controller option, it’ll be wrapped in foam. You’re looking to tap into the orange wire and the yellow wire. The reason you’re tapping those wires out of the remote start t-harness and not using the pass through OBD connector is because of the security gateway module. The CAN H & L that you need to grab are in the trailer brake module, which is after the security gateway, and closest to the remote start t-harness.
7492 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy07 View Post
Quote:
What you’re looking for is the 10 pin trailer brake controller module connector under the dash next to the steering column. If you have the trailer brake controller, it’ll be plugged into a little black module along with a 4 pin connector. If you don’t have the controller option, it’ll be wrapped in foam. You’re looking to tap into the orange wire and the yellow wire. The reason you’re tapping those wires out of the remote start t-harness and not using the pass through OBD connector is because of the security gateway module. The CAN H & L that you need to grab are in the trailer brake module, which is after the security gateway, and closest to the remote start t-harness.
You are the man! Thank you! I saw that, the first time I looked and I was going back and forth on it. But I just figured there was no way that was it!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode