Fluidfilm vs woolwax - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fluidfilm vs woolwax

I’m planning to get underneath my ‘15 next weekend and clean the frame, power wash, apply some type of undercoat. I was about to order fluid film on amazon, then saw a product called woolwax come up as well..

Anybody use this? Is it better then fluid film? They offer a kit with a spray gun that’s run by your compressor.

The Following User Says Thank You to WhiskeyThrottle For This Useful Post:
johnsnowkornar (08-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 AM

The only thing I have used that works amazing, is Amsoil HD metal protector, sprays on and drys to a wax like film. I have done several vehicles and my 4wheelers, after 15years of my mud and other things the 4wheeler frame looks new still. Sorry no info on the other two products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyThrottle View Post
I’m planning to get underneath my ‘15 next weekend and clean the frame, power wash, apply some type of undercoat. I was about to order fluid film on amazon, then saw a product called woolwax come up as well..

Anybody use this? Is it better then fluid film? They offer a kit with a spray gun that’s run by your compressor.
cpaine likes this.

2016 Ram 2500 6.7L Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Diesel Head

With the way these things rust this talk should have its own sub thread.

I believe wool wax is just a thicker fluid film.

My approach to this kind of stuff is to clean and degrease everything. Take care of the rust you can see with some sort of paint (POR15), look everywhere... frame, suspension bits, bottom of cab/bed. If the paint needs a UV blocker apply that afterwards. Once that is dry, now it’s time for your Fluid Film or like product. FF stays wet and seeps everywhere, so painting anything afterwards is gonna be a PITA.

Get FF everywhere!! In the frame, in the wheel wells(above the liners), in the doors, in the cab breathers, every hole in the chassis....EVERYWHERE. Remember, these thing rust from the inside out.

You’ll have to keep up with FF, at the least, annually before winter.

16 CTD 2500 Bright White Crew Cab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDieselDan View Post
The only thing I have used that works amazing, is Amsoil HD metal protector, sprays on and drys to a wax like film. I have done several vehicles and my 4wheelers, after 15years of my mud and other things the 4wheeler frame looks new still. Sorry no info on the other two products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyThrottle View Post

I love MP. I usually add it after I paint the POR and before the Corrosion Free. It dries so it doesn’t creep as well as FF and Corrosion Free.

16 CTD 2500 Bright White Crew Cab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:12 PM
Diesel Head

If you're gonna do all that, I'd clean and spray paint whatever is, should be or used to be painted black.
Save the fluid film for next fall, before winter hits, IMO.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Sound reasoning with the cleaning/painting.

I'll add that anti rust spray does best when sprayed in the height of summer, as the heat helps it fog into uneven surfaces & crevices well before the cooler weather arrives.

R12 in the summer, Webasto in the winter, and cassette tapes all year.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:30 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Fluid film and woolwax are made by the same company. Woolwax is just a but more heavy duty and doesn't small like bigfoots undercarriage. I've used fluid film for 4 years. Love it. Just used the amsoil mphd on our jeep. For high wear areas I like it. It wont run off like fluid film can. Well to an extent. I like how fluid film soaks into the metal. Inside frame rails, doors and rockers I will continue with fluid film as it creeps. But axles and frame rails i will use amsoil. Best of both worlds.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:12 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDieselDan View Post
LPS 3 is very similar and does a great job of protecting from rust. It's the only thing I use on my salt truck. It won't wash off like Fluid Film.

2013 2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 68rfe
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:44 AM

I've used all sorts over the years and have found the amsoil metal protect HD to work the best for me.

2017 2500 SLT CC/LB - EZ-Lynk by Hardway Performance - mild built trans - 20x10 Hostile Sprockets - Toyo Open Country RT 35x13.50R20
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:17 AM

Woolwax has the same creeping & migration qualities as Fluid Film. However Woolwax is much more resistant to wash-off and provides protection for a much longer period of time. Also, Woolwax has no smell.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Diesel Head

I used Fluid Film for several years. Iíve switched to N.H. Oil Undercoating.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Cummins Nut

I've always used Fluid Film but plan to try Wool Wax this time.

2018 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4 6.7L DRW Manual Trans
2017 Ford F-250 Crew 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke
2005 GMC 3500 Regular Cab Dump Truck 4x4 6.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode