Who’s had front fender rust/paint bubbles 4th gen? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Who’s had front fender rust/paint bubbles 4th gen?

Ok so be very aware this is an absolute RANT! I have had a Ram since 04, both my 06’s had rust above the rear wheel wells. One of which was bad.

Now I have a 2013 with 98k on the clock. I’m a Fireman so I have a large heated bay every third day to wash the salt off my truck. Now I’m no @Walker111 about washing my truck (if you’ve seen his thread where he used POR15 and other products and painted everything underneath, it’s worth a look and amazing in person). But I wash and my truck, Fluid film once a year, buff it down and seal it once a spring.

So now I have stupid rust bubbles again! Drivers front fender. Jim said there is a piece of tape back there that is known to collect water and dirt. Well I’m about as furious as I can be. I hate Rust, I shouldn’t have to spend a few days of my life prepping and treating body panels and frame members. It’s 2019!

Now I know some will say, “well it doesn’t have mechanical problems”, and while I agree at the same time this is unacceptable. I can fix mechanical issues (not that I want them) but I’m not a auto-body Guy. I hate wasting time on tedious stuff. That said I’m OCD and while it’s a DD/work truck I expect it to look good.

So post up if you’ve had issues, if you haven’t beware you may headed toward some due to another stupid design.

I am keeping this truck till retirement, dealing with body panels at year 6 is ludicrous. Maybe, just maybe and it pains me to say some of the Aluminum body’s are the answer.

sargenthp likes this.

2013 Crew 3500 Dually 4x4 68RE , vinyl seats, rubber floors, no bells no whistles.
2012 Crew 4x Auto CTD
06 MEGA TRE Trans, E.D. 63/68, EFI by Les @ SBT, Motorsport Diesel Pump
06 750hp Built By TRE Diesel SOLD
Former United States Marine . Good luck and God speed to all our troops!
Current Professional Firefighter

Last edited by RyeThomas; 05-19-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Oh and I spent all weekend at a refresher Vehicle class stabilizing and cutting cars. They were on the side, roof, etc. Really made me insane when none of those manufacturers had any surface rust on body panels and hardly any surface rust on the frames.

What gives.

2013 Crew 3500 Dually 4x4 68RE , vinyl seats, rubber floors, no bells no whistles.
2012 Crew 4x Auto CTD
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
who was talkin sh!t about me preventing these things?

16 CTD 2500 Bright White Crew Cab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:51 PM
HI

I feel your pain. I am like you, I am OCD and my truck gets washed at least once a week and waxed probably at least once a month. My 13 had rust appear on the rear bumper when it was only 2 years old. The dealer fixed it then and now about a 3 months ago I found rust again on the rear bumper. The truck only has 60k miles on it. This time I am not fixing it because I have ordered a 19. Well I say Im not fixing it but It bothers me knowing its there.

2013 3500 srw Laramie limited 4x4 crew long bed black on black aisin 2" leveling kit, 5% window tint. Hornblasters train horns. Bone stock and staying that way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ordered 2019 3500 SRW 4x4 CTD Aisin CC LB Limited Delmonico Red w/rear air

Previous rams 2000 2500 slt + qc lb 4x4 v-10, 03 qc lb 2500 4x4 hemi Laramie, 07 3500 qc lb 4x4 5.9 ctd Laramie. All have been black
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:30 PM
Cummins Nut

I love how people think aluminum is the answer to no rust. Aluminum corrodes just as bad as steel...just doesn't turn brown

2013 2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 68rfe
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:48 PM
Cummins Nut

I feel your pain, my older 06 also rusted out, and bubbled, and was NO rust on the outside, it all came from under the paint , metal just started to fail from the inside out
coating it, washing it, , had nothing to do with the steel developing rust from within!
cheap recycled metal I say! that had poor quality but was cheap, so they use it!
so I feel your pain, my 2016 has had rust on fenders since 3 months after having it and still there, as they wouldn;t touch it under warranty, as said NOT bad enough, every time at dealer for the first 3 yrs?
now out of warranty, and never got any better only worse??
anyone that think aluminum is as BAD as steel is NUTS
I snowmobile and have for 30+ yrs now, and I can tell you for a FACT< the steel snowmobile trailers were rotting away in 5-7 yrs.

and my 20+ yr old aluminum trailers are still, rock solid, only parts that failed on them have been one's made out of STEEL(axles mounts and axles them self)
frame is aluminum and still solid>

so, I know aluminum will last a LOT longer, But sadly will agree, all the nuts bolts and chemical reaction between aluminum and steel items will have issue's
so, its NOT a perfect deal
but IMO its a WAY better option for folks that live in a salt belt use area!
just wish more makers offered aluminum body'd vehicles!

2016 2500 crew cab Big Horn, Cummins, short bed, 4x4 cap, SIlver in coler
My 10th or so 2500 dodge/ram, now!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicumminsde View Post
I love how people think aluminum is the answer to no rust. Aluminum corrodes just as bad as steel...just doesn't turn brown
Odd, my buddies with expensive aluminum trailers look new after years with zero maintenance. Meanwhile my steel trailers even with washing (yes I wash my trailers, lol) and Fluid film show signs of impending rust.

My aluminum ladders have been on the side of my house exposed to the elements for 14+ years and If I cleaned them would look new.

So while aluminum may not be the end all be all, from my experience with whatever the heck Ram/Dodge/Fiat/FCA does is definitely not the answer. 3 out of 4 trucks with body rust in the 5-6 year mark is bad. And my 04 probably would have made it 4 for 4 but it got T-Boned by a drunk driver in my driveway.
mrbb1 likes this.

2012 Crew 4x Auto CTD
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:07 PM

I have a 16 cummins with 50k and had both bed sides replaced due to the wheel wells rusting. Ram covered the bill for replacement so I'm happy about that, but not happy that a 3 year old truck is starting to rust. I am very ocd about my truck and keep it very clean. My dealer is great about helping me out and making sure things get taken care of.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
When it comes to corrosion, aluminum is far superior then steel. It takes very little to protect aluminum from corroding compared to steel. Yes it will corrode and get that white powder, but even unprotected its a fraction of the rate of steel.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:44 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
fenders are good. my door panels are taking a beating from rock chips though.

bumpers were getting chipped pretty bad and i had them rhino lined.

paint is also not looking real great, but it is black so thats expected

Endeavor to Persevere
14 2500 BAP/RC 5"/BFG KM3 37's/PP Adjustable Track Bar/Mayhem Warrior 20x9 (0)/Clazzio Leather/Yukon 4:56's/AFE Stage 2 CAI/Raceme Ultra w warp tuning/4" Flo Pro
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:29 PM
Cummins Nut

I use my truck to spread salt. My salt spreader is mostly poly and stainless, however, Western decided to use 1/4" aluminum to mount the computer to. I have had to replace the computer twice since I have owned it because the Aluminum has disintegrated to nothing. And it is just exposed to salt water. However, the steel drag chain (that is in direct contact with the salt for long periods) is original and has plenty of life left.

I do agree that Al is a great material. However, when exposed to salt or other chemicals, it does corrode fast! This is why I would be leery to have my truck made of Al.

2013 2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 68rfe
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
I use my truck to spread salt. My salt spreader is mostly poly and stainless, however, Western decided to use 1/4" aluminum to mount the computer to. I have had to replace the computer twice since I have owned it because the Aluminum has disintegrated to nothing. And it is just exposed to salt water. However, the steel drag chain (that is in direct contact with the salt for long periods) is original and has plenty of life left.

I do agree that Al is a great material. However, when exposed to salt or other chemicals, it does corrode fast! This is why I would be leery to have my truck made of Al.
don't forget there are many different grades/types of aluminium , its not all the same, many of it will last a LOT longer than steel will in salty environments!

2016 2500 crew cab Big Horn, Cummins, short bed, 4x4 cap, SIlver in coler
My 10th or so 2500 dodge/ram, now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode