Locker or posi track - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Locker or posi track

I’m about to regear my truck. My question is should I get a locker or posi rear end? I do off-road some, mostly highway. I don’t tow that much. Down the road I am gonna upgrade the tranny and turbo to high performance. I know some say a locker is very noisy, but I just wanna know the pros and cons and if anyone with a daily driver has a locker. I’m looking at the Yukon gear locker or dura grip and I’m going with the 4.11 gears cause I have 37 inch tires. I hope I explained well enough thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Honestly unless you're rock crawling on a regular basis where you're getting a rear tire off the ground in my opinion a limited slip in the rear is the best option. Putting a selectable locker like an ARB in the front is going to gain you a lot more traction off road vs. the normal open front end...that's what I did anyway.

13' With 6" Thuren lift, Stage 6 King 3.0's front and rear, alien arms, trussed front end, dynatrac ball joints, king steering stabalizer, thuren track and sway bar, boogie bumps, 17" Tail Ready Bead lock wheels w/40" toyos. 4.56's w/front ARB
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks, that was what I was thinking. Just wanted to see what people has done. So are you enjoying the locker in the front? Did it make a huge difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Diesel Head

usually a locker in the front is only for slow rock crawling or when you get stuck. It makes steering a nightmare and sketchy unless going real slow. I would also agree with the limited slip in the rear if not rock crawling. I would always go with a selectable locker, when those auto mechanical lockers can scare the liven crap out of you when they lock in on hard pavement going around a sharp turn.
gotsig21 likes this.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedawg76 View Post
Ok thanks, that was what I was thinking. Just wanted to see what people has done. So are you enjoying the locker in the front? Did it make a huge difference
I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet, just had it thrown in with the gears when I was home on R&R. They made a huge difference on the power wagon I had before...there's really no substitute when looking for off road traction

13' With 6" Thuren lift, Stage 6 King 3.0's front and rear, alien arms, trussed front end, dynatrac ball joints, king steering stabalizer, thuren track and sway bar, boogie bumps, 17" Tail Ready Bead lock wheels w/40" toyos. 4.56's w/front ARB
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsig21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedawg76 View Post
I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet, just had it thrown in with the gears when I was home on R&R. They made a huge difference on the power wagon I had before...there's really no substitute when looking for off road traction
Ok thanks for everything. Also your truck looks great.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
The problem with a front locker messing up your steering isn't the lockers fault, it's the axles U joints.
gotsig21 likes this.

03 Dodge SHO CCLB Dually Banks intercooler 4" side draft intake. Carli/Thuren Argon filled Shocks, radius arms, SRW 4 link Conversion, 17"methods, 42" Goodyear MTR Kevlar Tires / 6 in a row ready to tow! NO BUSTERS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post
The problem with a front locker messing up your steering isn't the lockers fault, it's the axles U joints.
Wrong. The issue is when you try to turn the wheel the front wheels have to spin at a different speed to accomplish that. With it locked they will stay at the same speed and try to stay straight. I have RCV joints in my offroad rig and it is still hard to turn when the front arb is locked so I add hydroassist to mine.
cjgoode and HeavyTwo like this.

73 K4CTD
2018 2500 QC SB Laramie - stock for now
2005 2500 QC SB, Rebuilt at 330K miles, Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I went with Eaton Elocker electronic locker in the front and Eaton posi limited slip in the rear. I looked at the ARB option,but I wasn't confident with the air switch. But yes,definitely want a quality limited slip in the rear.

2014 CCLB Laramie-DJ Performance 6.7 w/stage 3 head-Rev 700-366/480 5 blade-Eaton lckrs-Highway Product service body-EFI-K5LA horns
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
Wrong. The issue is when you try to turn the wheel the front wheels have to spin at a different speed to accomplish that. With it locked they will stay at the same speed and try to stay straight. I have RCV joints in my offroad rig and it is still hard to turn when the front arb is locked so I add hydroassist to mine.
Even with that unless going slow its really poor steering since the tires want to spin at different speeds and cannot that means one or both have to be loosing traction causing unpredictable steering. But not an issue if selectable as you can just turn it off.

In the 70's we had the auto lockers and you had to take extra underwear with you, its was scary when the rear would auto lock on the pavement, but really scary when the front would do it off roading. Its one thing to know its locked, its another wondering when it will lock. And our 4x4's only had lap belts for the most part. Those were the days, young and crazy, and no cell phones so when you got stuck, you walked if no other truck was with you.

2015 2500 4x4 megacab automatic with ARE Z series topper
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Cummins Fanatic

GM uses the g80 auto locker factory, have been for years. They work great. Road manners aren’t bad either. I wish ram used it. They both use the same rear end on our diesels. I have already had times hunting where I had to use 4x4 to get out of something cause the rear tires wouldn’t lock up. My duramax would lock up fully after one tire would spin a couple revolutions
Worked flawlessly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sicumminsde likes this.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:22 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgoode View Post
Even with that unless going slow its really poor steering since the tires want to spin at different speeds and cannot that means one or both have to be loosing traction causing unpredictable steering. But not an issue if selectable as you can just turn it off.

In the 70's we had the auto lockers and you had to take extra underwear with you, its was scary when the rear would auto lock on the pavement, but really scary when the front would do it off roading. Its one thing to know its locked, its another wondering when it will lock. And our 4x4's only had lap belts for the most part. Those were the days, young and crazy, and no cell phones so when you got stuck, you walked if no other truck was with you.
we said the exact same thing. The hard steering has nothing to do with the ujoints or cv joints, it is the wheels are spinning at the same speed. Auto lockers or lunchbox lockers are fine in the rear of any vehicle or front of offroad only vehicles. They do make loud pops from time to time. Ran one in the rear of my jeep for many years before I went ARB. Would never use in the front on a street vehicle just to unpredictable in slick conditions.

73 K4CTD
2018 2500 QC SB Laramie - stock for now
2005 2500 QC SB, Rebuilt at 330K miles, Sold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode