Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   2013-2018 General Discussion (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/)
-   -   Alfa OBD Success! (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/2490261-alfa-obd-success.html)

Xokia 01-17-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylant (Post 28863919)
and what is the best platform to use for this program? I have a tablet and computer I can use

Either works just fine. Some folks like the android user interface better than the windows version. But they both do the same thing.

mtnrider 01-17-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylant (Post 28863919)
what are the best lights to use for DRLs? Which ones are used from the factory?
I have the projector lights and do not want to burn them up

I believe the factory projectors have a separate DRL that they use if I remember correctly. That strip across the bottom of the light? In that case you would select "dedicated" as the option.

I have the quads and use the high beams for my DRLs. They get used least of all (and I have LED's in my low beam) so that's why I choose them. Just be aware for those with quads that have replaced bulbs with LED's they won't work well for DRL's. The DRL's run at a lower voltage then the LED requires.

lpennock 01-17-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnrider (Post 28863957)

The DRL's run at a lower voltage then the LED requires.

It is actually the pulse width modulation used to simulate low voltage that is the issue. LED will show the voltage is being switched off/on rapidly. With the right size cap they can be made to work.

It is the same problem seen with relay chatter on hid harnesses.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtnrider 01-17-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpennock (Post 28863979)
It is actually the pulse width modulation used to simulate low voltage that is the issue. LED will show the voltage is being switched off/on rapidly. With the right size cap they can be made to work.

It is the same problem seen with relay chatter on hid harnesses.

Yeah, I knew they are PWM but in Alfa you can select LED to disable that. Then there is a setting for DRL voltage and it is something like 7.2v which is too low for the LEDs. Either way no one has successfully got it to work with just the Alfa program and no additional hardware (to my knowledge).

frankss 01-18-2019 12:57 AM

Is there a full list of everything this thing can do? What about speedo correction for different tire sizes?

lpennock 01-18-2019 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankss (Post 28864469)
Is there a full list of everything this thing can do? What about speedo correction for different tire sizes?

Vehicle Config 4:
Transfer Case High Ratio: 1.00
Axle Ratio: 4.10
Transfer Case Low Range Reduction Ratio: 2.64
Dynamic Tire Circumference: 2640.00 mm

Dynamic Tire Circumference is what you will want to change. You will need to do a bit of math for the correct number. On a 70 series tire you can get close using following formula and then tweek.

Advertised Diameter inches x 3.14 x 25.4 x 0.95

67guzzler 01-18-2019 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnrider (Post 28864001)
Yeah, I knew they are PWM but in Alfa you can select LED to disable that. Then there is a setting for DRL voltage and it is something like 7.2v which is too low for the LEDs. Either way no one has successfully got it to work with just the Alfa program and no additional hardware (to my knowledge).

I was running LED fogs as DRL's and they were full bright. This is with inline capacitors (not resistors) and I hadn't changed fogs to LED yet with alfaobd to disable PWM. I'm going to remove the capacitors this weekend, set fogs to LED and then choose as DRL and see what happens...

-Guzzler

battlerattle 01-18-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpennock (Post 28864513)
Vehicle Config 4:
Transfer Case High Ratio: 1.00
Axle Ratio: 4.10
Transfer Case Low Range Reduction Ratio: 2.64
Dynamic Tire Circumference: 2640.00 mm

Dynamic Tire Circumference is what you will want to change. You will need to do a bit of math for the correct number. On a 70 series tire you can get close using following formula and then tweek.

Advertised Diameter inches x 3.14 x 25.4 x 0.95

Its also available in "program Customer Options"-"tire size". I was not able to get any of the pre programmed sizes to work, but I did the math and plugged in the circumference in MM and it took just fine.

azjohnnyo 01-18-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankss (Post 28864469)

This is the current Known Working List

blackhawk783 01-18-2019 09:17 AM

Loving the Alfa OBD too. So far I have:

- Set headlights to LED
- Set front and rear turn signals to LED
- Set reverse lights to LED
- I installed tow mirrors and:
- Activated puddle lamps
- Activated mirror turn signals
- Set mirrors to tow mirrors
- Activated global down feature

67guzzler 01-18-2019 10:39 AM

Hopefully a little interesting...

Hey guys! Here are a couple videos using my crappy android phone. It's able to pick up the pulses with it's photo sensor.

Note that PWM being enabled just makes LED's flicker. It doesn't NECESSARILY mean you'll get a bulb out warning or have a circuit shut down, although you 100% CAN have that happen! For example, fogs and reverse lights seem to not generate any warnings. LED License Plate bulbs can. Interesting indeed!

These are with PWM (Pulse With Modulation) active and inactive based upon the settings in AlfaOBD. Enjoy!

PWM with LED Fog Bulbs on 2017 Ram 2500. LED fogs not enabled in body controller:

PWM disabled with LED Fog Bulbs on 2017 Ram 2500. LED fogs enabled in body controller:

PWM with LED Reverse Bulbs on 2017 Ram 2500. LED Reverse not enabled in body controller:

PWM disabled with LED Reverse Bulbs on 2017 Ram 2500. LED Reverse enabled in body controller:

-Guzzler

Footnote: I had been using a set of these to stop the pulses to the Fog Lamps and they worked great. I've since removed them, of course.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....9L._SX522_.jpg

Ricky_Bobby 01-18-2019 10:44 AM

^Great videos and thank you for illustrating! I can't wait to get my OBD Link MX and do these changes in the BCM "properly" so I don't have to run resistors/capacitors